Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Great skiis, average skiier. Problem?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm 183cm 77kg. I've about 10-15 weeks under my belt and now I'm looking to buy some skiis and I'll be prob only skiing about 2 weeks a year. I am doing more off piste, bumps and tree runs but as most prob still spend half my time on piste. A friend will sell me some salomon shogun 173s in great condition pretty cheap. Great but my question is - is that going to be too wide a ski for someone at my level and as I'm obviously no expert skiier am I going to struggle on these skiis? I'm actually quite happy they're on the shorter side for me as I'm thinking that'll probably help me a bit everywhere but off piste. I cant afford new skiis, should I look to something a little thinner and more 50:50, though I'll probably have to get some a few seasons older for the same money?

I dont know alot about kit so thought I'd open it up to the court of public opinion...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
j38426078,
I am anything but an equipment guru but I skied the Shoguns last year and was not overwhelmed, though they were maybe on the short size for my weight. Personally I think they are predominantly an off piste ski and you may find they limit your enjoyment on piste and in the bumps with that width. I would definatley go with something a little thinner and rent fat ones for the soft stuff if there is masses of it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
j38426078, Don't know anything much about skis, but welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
j38426078, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I can't help with any advice on those skis - but have you looked at the cost of transporting them, and servicing them? If that's two separate weeks a year you might be better off renting, especially if you are on an upward learning curve and may want something better in a couple of years.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shoguns are a wicked ski and at 101 waist you'll still be fine rocking them on piste. They're not going to annoy you when you carve and they'll keep nice n floaty when you're pow deep.
If they're cheap scoop them up!!
Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
l.holman wrote:
Shoguns are a wicked ski and at 101 waist you'll still be fine rocking them on piste. They're not going to annoy you when you carve and they'll keep nice n floaty when you're pow deep.
If they're cheap scoop them up!!
Very Happy

Sound advice right here ^.

Everyone's gear is better than their skill level round here, you'll fit right in.

Welcome both l.holman and j38426078 - snappy name by the way Wink

Ignore the old gits above. Enjoy the snow...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My wife has the Geisha's and she likes them, but i think these may be a bit small for you.

Don't be afraid of the length as its not just the width that provides the float, it's the surface area. Keep the slalom skis short, but if you want a more useful ski in powder go for something fat and long, otherwise you will end up with a ski that is less fun on the piste and a little frustrating off it.

Try and find something around 183 even if it is a few years old and a bit thinner.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

They're not going to annoy you when you carve

They might not annoy him when carving, but after 10-15 weeks skiing do you not think they could be a bit of a handful in the bumps or the conditions are icy?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
j38426078, I'm similar height, weight and experience to you, and we seem to enjoy the same skiing. I was persuaded to buy a pair of Shoguns by my local ski shop owner last year, without demo-ing them. I had 10 days in Banff (Lake Louise, Sunshine and 1 day in Kicking Horse) on them, and a weekend in Scotland. And I loved them. I found them forgiving and didn't feel hindered on piste at all. The only thing I didn't experience was ice, but you prob shouldn't buy skis aimed at the sort of conditions you'll be trying to avoid anyway!

My only concern is that these may be a little short for you., mine are the 182's. Though I do wonder if we're good enough to really notice the difference?

I'd say - Go for it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
J. I bought 173 Shoguns last year and skied them for four weeks. Brilliant skis and great fun. I know my guide can ski pencils in the pow but they give me great float. They have fairly large turning radius so OK side slipping when going gets tough. Not as quick on short turns as my narrow skis but still pretty good and very happy with them on piste. Surprisingly good on very hard piste (poo-poo ice we call it in Les Arcs). Blue ice another matter.

So good for powder and all the crud pebbles boulders and other stuff getting there and back.

But size? I have skied a bit longer than you and I have a fairly aggressive ski style but I'm 168 and 12Kg lighter even with backpack.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey boss! Its not "poo poo ice"! Its "sheet ice" said with a french accent. To rhyme with "ship ice"!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy