Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decisions decisions!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, back for the winter! snowHead so far no definate plans for skiing so thought I'd pick on the brains of the trusted snowheads! What with family, christmas, schools, university, piglets and lambing commitments we are rather limited when to go so...... whens best?? the week before Christmas, 14th December?? is there enough snow? where would be a good choice?? New Yearish?? have to be back by the 4th Jan, or Feb half term, bearing in mind the cost and that its the busiest time! advice most welcome please! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Tignes;
2. Val d'Isere;
3. Val Thorens.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feefee, there's always easter. For that, or for mid-december, Tignes would be a good choice (high altitude). New Year and half term are pretty booked up already - maybe wait for a last minute deal and be flexible about destination.

Of those options I think I'd go for Easter - asap in the school hols, before Easter weekend itself. Doesn't have to be Tignes but would be best to have some high altitude skiing - lots of other places too. In France, Les Deux Alpes, Val Thorens? Good chance of some late snowfalls and nice long light days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w,
Quote:

I think I'd go for Easter

Doesn't appear on the OP I suspect because of lambing commitments.

feefee,
Personally I'd go Feb half term if at all possible fewer crowds and better snow than New Year on average and cheaper in most non French resorts. If you can get the flight DIYing to Austria or Italy would work out pretty reasonable.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easter usually good for us but as its so late we will be lambing! I've never considered half term as assumed it would be mobbed everywhere? so usually plan piglets for then!! although i can work around that! personally like quieter resorts with varied skiing, few bars, restaurants etc would be good. Hubby fancies before christmas but I'm not sure, have looked at a diy for New Year and driving somewhere but the dates are all a bit weird this year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
feefee,
Pre christmas is quiet, but snow is a bit of a lottery. New Year is one of the busiest and most expensive times to go skiing and may have poor snow.
Although mid feb is not low season it is not Fasching this year and Austrian resorts will usually have good snow without being really busy and the prices DIYing are certainly not excessive. Plenty of quiet resorts with varied skiing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar whats Fasching??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is a tough choice.

New year and feb half term are so busy and so expensive. You could just leave it late and if there is snow mid Dec then make a dash for it, but if not then you have not wasted your money.

If would be tempted to say feb half term is best in my experience

Of the 3 resorts you mentioned I would definately choose Val Thorens. I did not enjoy Val D'Isere/Tignes much *ducks to avoid incoming remarks*

But it depends on what level of skier you guys all are I guess...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feefee wrote:
T Bar whats Fasching??

Carnival, the holiday just before Lent, with Easter being lat this year it is early March I think. One of the busiest weeks in Austrian (And other central European) resorts.
PS If you are thinking of driving Austria is not really much further than many French resorts and the prices will be more reasonable. (I am off to Austira for the fourth successive year this Feb)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've only driven once and that was to France, prices in NewYear aren't too bad! am now trawling the net Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Presumably an Austrian, Swiss or Italian resort off the UK tour opertor circuit could be pretty quiet during the UK half term? Need to find somewhere that Brits don't go.

feefee, didn't know about the lambing!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

whats Fasching??

Isn't that what they do in Glasgow with a rod and reel? Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Need to find somewhere that Brits dont' go!
Ha ha yes we've managed that a few times! last year the sella ronda in Italy, fantastic!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
somewhere that Brits don't go.

Here's five sizeable Austrian ski areas that have slipped under the UK radar, in no particular order:

Damuls-Mellau-Faschina 98km

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis 187km

Konigsleiten-Wald-Zillertal Arena 166km

Kals-Matrei-Grossglockner 110km

Nassfeld-Hermagor 110km

I think there are other nationalities that know about them though......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feefee wrote:
the sella ronda in Italy, fantastic!!

Sounds like a plan!
snow report
luigi, I would love to go back and definately will do, but cannot find any good deals around New Year that fits around budget and dates! shame as its the best place we have have ever skied snowHead
ski holidays
Right, we are now looking to go 26 or 27 December to Alpes D'Huez or nearby, reason being my daughter is skiing with her Uni on the 1st in ADH so if we drive, take her with us, stay nearby then we have a family holiday together and she can join her pals as well!! So anyone wanna pimp me accomodation or advise on where to stay please, would be great snowHead
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Need to find somewhere that Brits don't go.

Scotland?
snow report
Easter in Whistler will be great. This year british schools have moved the Easter holidays all over the place so you my pick up a bargain for whenever your holidays have been set for and there will be snow, if not right back down to the village that is worth skiing on.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy