Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave/Les Deux Alpes 8th May 2005

Poster: A snowHead
Well I went! I skied the Vallons de la Meije to 2,400m, but was surprised to find the snow quite hard and with lots of death cookies on the top section. From about half way the snow had transformed (mostly) and the going was good. A short walk at the start of the traverse and then onwards. I took the wrong skis! I thought it would be very soft so took the Scratches, but would have been better on the Fischers.

Back up to 3,200m again (another coffee at the cafe) and then up the poma (used to be a T bar) to the highest point, skis off and walked over to the LDA side. I skied down, completely alone on the mountain (I counted about 40 people at La Grave). It was brilliant standing on the summit of La Lauze, apparently alone in the world - windy though and not all that warm.

the snow was hard on the glacier and became soft and friendly from about 3,000m down. I have to walk a bit (well it is very late) below 2,300m and across the Cretes, but was able to ski (if you can call it that) the Combe Valentin down as far as LDA 1800 (Le Village). The snow was excellent between 3,000m and 2,400m - slightly mushy on a decent base, perfect for this time of year.

Was it worth it? Not sure. Would I do it again? Maybe, but probably with a friend, as I was very cautious due to being on my own. The solitude and quiet was magnificent though. Laughing Laughing Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice one, Charlotte!

It's been a long long time since I skied that, so I looked up the trail map to retrace where you'd skied to.

You're not saying that they have replaced that huge t-bar system on the glacier above La Grave, are you?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, Ditto ! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, Not the system, but all the hangers are now single person poma types instead of the original T bars. The cat's cradle arrangement is still in place - quite amazing!

that's the map - I skied the most left of the dotted yellow lines. Davidoff said it was possible to get to P1 via Chancel with a bit of a walk, but it didn't look it to me on the way up, so I didn't risk it - no-one else was going that way either.

I should also have said that there was a bit of powder (5cms) just off the glacier and some people were doing rather silly things very close to the big crevasses, watched by a whole bunch of tutting High Mountain Guides with binoculars at Haut Dessus.! rolling eyes

The best bit was ski-ing back down our side, when I knew I was literally the only person on the mountain. Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's been snowing up top off and on for a couple of days now. I can't see it (obviously), but it did actually snow in the village for about 15 mins the day before yesterday! This morning there's fresh snow at about 2,700m by the look of it. If it stays a little chilly we should have a good start to the summer season. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, maybe we'll have to come and ski on the way to Serre Che
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, and on the way back! Little Angel Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's tipping it down again today. Raining cats and dogs in resort, but the snow line is back down to about 1800m. It's also cold and miserable. Sad

All this is good for the summer though. Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
esasiki, I know it's no consolation but it's cold and miserable here as well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant sunshine and a bit breezy oop north!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian Hopkinson, ditto in Durham
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David@traxvax, is that in London or L Ros?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
London, I'm afraid, although the sun has just come out. Just in time for us to take our daughter out, she's off to Turkey next week and is staying with us for a few days, funny thing she had to go shopping with my wife for some skirts, which as she say's she hasn't worn in a long time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax, Can't remember the last time I wore one!

Update as the weather cleared up a bit late afternoon, and snow about a third of the way down the face. Good covering on the peaks that I can see from here, so rock on summer... Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I noticed fresh snow round the Valais as well today, down to around 2500m I'd say from eye driving back from Zinal.
snow report
there was a dusting below 2,400m which is melting slowly today, but it looks like a reasonable amount above that level.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy