Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

calling German/Austrian locals, quickest way Munich to Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Did a seach and found a 4 year old thread about this but nore sure if there are any new roads since then.

What is the quickest way, leaving Munich airport approx 10:30 am Saturday (early dec), returning on a Mon evening.

Motorway all the way or via Garmisch - will the pass be slow? Time critical, want to get an afternoon on the slopes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smithski, http://www.whitetracks-helicopters.com/

Or, if you're going to cheapskate and go by car, I'd suggest the motorway is way faster if clear but I'm sure there'll be a local along shortly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, nice suggestion, but we have to detour past McD's for brunch and they don't have a heli pad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
smithski, you won't make it either way in time unless you use the heli service!

Too many variables - try via michelin or any of the other route planners available online.

1. Variable: Weather
2. Variable: Amount of traffic moving too from slopes. Christmas shopping, Christmas Marketing
3. Variable: Weather tirol decides it needs to generate more money by slapping 100kmh speed limit on its entire length of motorway
4. Variable: Traffic in and around Munich - depends on weather, football matches at the allianz Arena - Saturdays can be a killer just with local traffic
5. Variable: Traffic in and around Innsbruck
6. Variable: Roadworks left unfinished - some big stuff being done around innsbruck that is unlikely to be finished before the real winter sets in.

That's just taking into account the foreseeable problems Toofy Grin no accidents, volcanoes or ATC strikes or whatever included.

Why not try for flights to/from Innsbruck and then use local transport to take the strain?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, cheers, appreciate your help ....

1,3 - we're banking on a nice day, no snow. If conditions are poor we'll spend the first afternoon in Garmisch or Zugspitz area, then head off to Ischgl afterwards.
2 - which slopes you referring to, no probs getting from Landeck to Ischgl that time of day, done it a few times already, just unfamiliar with the route to Landeck as we usually go via Zurich.
4 - this is where I'm unfamiliar - do you mean the motorways around Munich will be busy on a Saturday morning? Don't intend getting off the motorways or anywhere near the centre. Bayern are playing away that day and TSV play at home Sunday - any other teams that may cause chaos ?
5 - Innsbruck - again hoping for a clear run down the motorway, how bad are these roadworks - will be hitting them approx midday.

Taking all into account, given it is not peak season (i.e. 4 Dec) and we've fallen lucky with the football fixtures I'm hoping it's not as bad as you make out. Can't do Innsbruck as a) there are no suitable flights ; and b) we have flights booked to Munich.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue,
You obviously haven't been in a car with smithski at the wheel.. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kruisler, and those who have tend not to live to tell the story ...

speed limits all the way.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
smithski wrote:
speed limits all the way.

I hear you... wink

ps: flashback to drive back to Zurich once... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler, yeah, lesson learnt, in future we'll allow an extra 5 mins
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
smithski, It is only low season for you guys in the UK - not here! A Saturday is open season if the weather is good Toofy Grin

If the weather is mild - loads of punters on the motorways around Munich going in for their Chrimble shopping etc. If the weather is poor, then likely to be less traffic but the accident incidents and associated chaos is high. Town/suberbanites are not very clever on snow, despite having winter tyres!

Example: I left work on Wednesday afternoon to pick someone up from Munich airport last December. Pick up time was 17:30 I left work at 15:30 and I work on the west side of Munich about 5 minutes from the A96. Normal door-to-door travelling time 45 minutes. It took me nearly 3 hours due to roadworks and weather, NOT volume of traffic. The roadworks and weather caused a couple of shunts which blocked lanes. The drivers stay put if damage is involved until the fuzz come and photograph it all. Result lane closure! Getting home from that little incident took nearly 4 hours instead of the one it usually takes for similar reasons.

This was using just the motorways around Munich then the A8 to get home.

You will be strongly advised against trying to beat the speed limits in either Germany or Austria at that time of year, especially if you use the Garmisch - Seefeld route. The fuzz love setting their cameras up on the Mittenwald section as well as the Zirlerberg.

Have you tried running it through the route planner? Ischgl to Zurich is way easier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes I've run it through various route planners but they don't give you the kind of info you have done. On paper (route planner) the journeys Munich>Ischgl and Zurich>Ischgl are very similar, but this does not take into account traffic/weather conditions.

Zurich would be better, but to do so would involve a lengthy drive to Heathrow from the North of England - we can fly to Munich from Manchester (Swiss do MAN/ZRH but times are not good).

Who said anything about beating speed cameras, strictly law abiding citzens we are.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smithski, What are the differences in times? TBH I think you are better off doing MAN/ZRH because the roads will be much freer all round. No big cities or mega roadworks to negotiate (i.e. no Munich or Innsbruck). How long are you going for, just 3 days or is it 10 days?

Route 1 - straight down through GAP - Airport to A9 switch to A99 at Munich north, then use the A995 to link in to the B2R (southern inner ring road with a major roadworks scheduled to fook up traffic until 2017!). At Luise-Kisselbach-Platz (heart of said bloody roadworks) switch to A95 south to GAP.
Go through the tunnel at Farchant and follow signs to Innsbruck - speed controlled roads from there to outskirts of Innsbruck. Pick up A12 at Zirl and head for Landeck
Alternatively use the Fern Pass via Garmisch and Grainau and drop down to Imst to pick up the A12 towards Landeck. Can be a good alternative if the roads are relatively clean and clear.

Route 2: As for route 1 until A8 interchange south east of Munich. Here you take the A8 (lots of stretches with no speed limit but keep an eye on the overhead gantires). At the Inntal Dreieck, take the A93 towards Kufstein/Innsbruck. At the border keep on the same road, it becomes the A12, and follow it all the way to Landeck! A very long roundabout way but apart from the stretch up into the mountains, autobahn all the way.

Route 3: Take the same route from airport to but stay on the A92 towards Stuttgart/Lindau and come into Austria via Bregenz. From the A92 West you take the A99 West followed by the A96 Lindau/Bregenz autobahn which can be relatively quiet and speed limit free (except in tunnels) Takes you through the St Anton Tunnel (more tolls) but has less roadworks along it at the moment.

I live a few kilometres (8.5 to be exact) away from the A93/A12 and it took me a good 2 hours the other Saturday to get to Sölden due to roadworks and speed limits (100kph on "environmental grounds" on most of the autobahn around Innsbruck and westwards to Özt. Virtually no traffic, but with German plates, I did not want our Tirolean friends taking pretty pictures and then ripping me off for cash a few klicks down the road. so I stuck to the limit. you can add another 75 to 90 minutes to that for the airport to A93 section.

BTW you will need an Austrian vignette which ever way you go: currently 7.90 Euro is the cheapest for 10 days. It definitely is not worth trying to get by without one. Many of the so-called Schnellstrasse are included not just the autobahns. The Fern Pass route has a wee bit of toll road somewhere in the middle but I'm damned if I can work out which bit.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to reiterate Samerberg Sue, point about speeding.I was travelling back from Ischgl to Munich last year in a queue of traffoc and did not realise I was speeding till I was flashed.
Demand from the carhire company came through about two months later.

That was a fair cop and I did not mind the fine was not particularly large. Seriously objected to the bill for the damage to the tyre wall which was virtually invisible and I knew that I had not kerbed the car at all. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
smithski,

Why not head for one of the ski areas on the German border, just off the motorway?

We skiied at Oberaudorf last winter en route from Munich. It's an hour's drive from Munich airport and is a nice little ski area for filling an afternoon.

Essentially there is only one (fast quad) chairlift and a couple of drag lifts above that, with a very nice mountain restaurant. It's still worth a quick visit, however, and is somewhere different to ski on arrival day.

Alternatively, you could ski somewhere like Skiwelt in Austria, which is reachable in just under 90 minutes from Munich airport.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue, thanks again for that route info - it could be most helpful, I will study in more detail before we travel. Are you aware of any english speaking radio stations with traffic info ?

T Bar, thanks for the heads up, which compnay was your car hire with, have heard many stories along those lines but never yet been the victim of one.

Bergmeister, yes, if the weather/roads/traffic are poor then plan B is to spend the afternoon skiing en-route. If everything is clear we'll plod on to Ischgl straight away as we're meeting up with others there.
ski holidays
smithski, There is one in Austria - FM4 which broadcasts in English during the day. Broadcasts around the 100 kHz (?sp) range.

In Bavaria there are none - you just have to listen for specific words.

Like the number of your road - A (Ah) and then the number - 8 = Acht, 9 = Neun, 99 = Neunundneunzig, 96 =Sechsundneunzig

Then Richtung = going in the direction of ......... followed by the name of the main town at the end of the sentence: eg Richtung München means going towards Munich.

Then STAU = traffic jam, followed by the number of kilometres!!!!! Or "Stockenden Verkehr "= Stop-go or "sehr fliessend" = heavy traffic but moving.

Most stations braodcast a traffic report on the hour and half hour after the news bulletins. The best reports in Bavaria are on Antenne Bayern (107.5 or 102.5 and also include any mobile traffic cameras that are active which is useful! Also good are Bayern 3.

Oberaudorf commits you to using the all motorway route via the A8/A93/A12 which is the longest route I would guess. But I can agree that it is a pleasant afternoon's ski - it is my local slope! wink We have floodlit skiing there Thursday Fridays and Saturdays! But it is a bit low and a bad start to the season means that the base is susceptible to breaking up.

Sue Toofy Grin
snow report
Sue, travelling tomorow, what are the general road conditions like at the moment, are we in for a torrid time ?
snow report
smithski, Just back from Flachau! Roads are really clear but traffic will be heavy tomorrow as so many resorts are opening this weekend. When do you land?

I had trouble this morning as it had snowed heavily overnight and the surfaces were not that clear - so stuck to around 100kph and down to 60 at times, but everything was moving.
Coming home this evening the snowploughs had done a fantastic job and the roads were clear - average about 130kph on the A10 and along the A8.

I'm just checking the police traffic web site now to see if there are any lingering problems. Looks like we have some freezing fog and the roadworks I mentioned earlier in the thread are causing problems in and around Munich.

I'm going to send you a PM with my phone number - you can call me when you get in and I can check the situation then and there for you and advise accordingly. I took the day off today, so I have to make it up by working tomorrow instead so I'll have loads of opportunity to keep an eye on things for you.

snowHead
snow report
Many thanks Samerberg Sue, have PM'd you back.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy