Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best UCPA for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am hoping to go skiing with two friends in early January and had thought about staying in one of the UCPAs, as I had stayed in the one in Chamonix in March this year. My friends are complete beginners and I would also classify myself as a beginnner. I found that there wasn't a huge amount of slopes around the Chamonix valley that were suitable for beginners. We're looking for somewhere with a nice bit of apres ski !!!

My question for snowheads is which UCPA is best suited to beginners?

Thanks for the help,
Sonny
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sonny11ie, Flaine would be OK, in terms of slopes, though I don't think it's the liveliest apres ski spot - certainly couldn't compare to Chamonix.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les deux Alpes seems to fit the bill.UCPA at end of town,loads of beginner slopes,the 'town' drags are free so,if you are rank beginners,you dont even need a lift pass till you feel a bit more adventurous and...its lively,at times very lively!! And some of the best kebab bars anywhere.....sorted Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
but if the prices include lift passes, not much point not using them and getting up and enjoying the mountains. Yes, Les Deux Alpes sounds a good bet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are two UCPA centres in LDA too. One at either end of the village.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Agreed,of course.If he's on a deal inc lift passes,fair enough.Still able to access plenty of 'easy' terrain including the ski school area at the top of the White Eggs. If purchasing passes there,even better.As said,there are a number of free drags along the town and,when they are ready,they can get passes to go up.Mind you,they need to navigate with caution....some of the piste grading is a bit inventive rolling eyes Or...they can take the Jandri straight to the top,and ski the nice,wide glacier runs.Ideal I would say.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sonny11ie, There are a couple of UCPAs in La Plagne the one one in Plagne 1800 seems to have a very full calendar of off slope activities and is right next to the 1800 nursery area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

some of the piste grading is a bit inventive

Indeed. But with UCPA they could get full time instruction as part of the deal, so they'd get taken to exactly the right places - that would be a help in LDA I think, as it's not exactly obvious where to go (not to me, anyway, but that's probably because I've mostly followed instructors around!)

La Plagne would be excellent for slopes - maybe not so good for nightlife outside the Centre.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would echo that - Flaine or La Plagne would be perfect for beginners although not been to LDA so couldn't comment on that resort. If you are looking for a bit more comfort, I would opt for Les Lindars rather than Altair - Lindars used to be the Club Med and is virtually on the nursery slope. If you decide to book, use the discount code SP2010 on the Action Outdoors website for £10 off the list price.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pretty sure there are no full-time beginners courses offered at the UCPA in Flaine, certainly weren't last season. There may be some half-time courses but they're not ideal if you're a complete beginner. Strange as you'd think it'd be a good location. Check before you book!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy