Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada Ski Resorts Tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to plan a ski trip vacation to Lake Tahoe?

Tahoe snow is expected to be abundant this snow season.

California weather pattern prediction for this year is a la nina year which means lots of snow:

http://weatherwest.com/current_weather/?p=589

The prediction seems to be on track: Lake Tahoe area ski resorts report their first snow on 10/25/10, check out the cam/photos at Sugar Bowl:

http://www.sugarbowl.com/photos

Here's a good site to view a summary of Tahoe area resorts' opening dates, trail maps, snow conditions, live cams at

http://snowpals.org/tahoeresortsopeningdates.html

Tip: If you plan a trip to Tahoe and want to save some money, get the Tahoe cards which comes with free lift tickets and good deals:

http://www.snowpals.org/tahoecard.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Try looking at http://www.skiheavenly.com/ also look for ski america for lift pass as we managed to purchase 7 days with 6 days free lift pass and even obtained refund for days we did not ski!

Awesome area and wish I was going.

Mick R
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I sense some advertising here. After all, the weather site linked to in your post says the following:

"Across the northern 2/3 of California, however, there really isn’t a strong precipitation signal in either direction except during strong El Nino events. Northern California is the dividing line between the two extremes, and it’s hard to say where exactly that line will fall in any given year. In 2010/2011, however, the magnitude of the ongoing La Nina events is large enough that I feel there will be significant impacts in the Pacific Northwest (well above average precipitation) and in Southern California (below normal precipitation). The northern part of California may be subject to some notably strong and cold storm systems as the North Pacific jet becomes very active later in the fall, though La Nina’s effect on seasonal precipitation in Northern California is not clear enough to draw any conclusions in this regard. "

When La Nina is in town, it means lots of snow north of CA - ie OR, WA, ID, BC. Head my way and hopefully we'll drown in pow like 07-08. I hope you get lots down there too, but let's not distort the predictions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in Heavenly for a week in Feb 97, and the skiing was slushy - best skiing was over at Squaw Valley.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think gortonator might be right! Tony Crocker has some of the best NA snow stats around and he doesn't show a single CA resort favored by La Nina http://webpages.charter.net/tcrocker818/
Snowpals isn't a bad site though if you are serious about Tahoe.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skied the slopes around Lake Tahoe in January this year. Heavenly was ok snow but the arrangement of lifts to runs was awful and required too much walking. Also the parking arrangement at the base of the Heavenly gondola was not good. The other slopes we sking included Homewood (fantastic!!), Diamond Peak (small but good runs and very friendly with great ticket prices) and Squaw Valley. The skiing was so good we are heading back to Squaw Valley next January/February for a couple of weeks. According to the Squaw webite and confirmed by our condo manager, there is snow at Squaw already and they are on track for a November 20 opening.

Another tip - we stay in South Lake Tahoe which resulted in lots of driving to all slopes other than Heavenly. We now know to stay at the horthern end of the lake and next year we have rented a condo in Squaw Village - only a very few steps to the lifts or a short drive to Homewood, Alpine Meadows or Northstar.

Last January the snow was outstanding - dry, soft and deep with plenty of powder to be found after some great dumps. After Tahoe we skied at Panorama in Canada, Blue Mountain over in Ontario (small ski hill, crowded and not good snow) and finally at Hinterglemm, Austria. Tahoe area skiing was very hard to beat in that line up, though I have to say Austria had almost too much snow. (Is that a contradiction in terms?? Madeye-Smiley ) Hopefully la Nina will get working for us in January next year!!

Finally, while the first post does suggest some commercial bias, the links may prove to be very useful, so thanks!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skied Lake Tahoe in March going back March 2011.

I am a member of snowpals and find there local knowledge to be invaluable.

My tip would be do your research on which resorts you intend to ski, some of the resorts have great deals etc ladies ski free days, reduced lift prices on Mondays.

Have a great time, for me a ski season is not complete without going to Tahoe.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This site is usually pretty good on what deals exist for the various Tahoe resorts

http://www.slidingonthecheap.com/

they dont have 2010-2011season info on yet but keep checking
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I skied Squaw last Jan/Feb - it is a truly epic ski hill. Especially with the epic conditions there was last winter down at Tahoe. Last year was a moderate El Nino, of course, a weather pattern that strongly favors CA resorts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy