Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski pants (Male)

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for new ski pants had salomon.

Want something that will last. and the usual dry, warm, flexible. Not worried about cost if it fits the requirements.

Not sure about the sizes when it says long, reg or short. Can't find what inside leg measurements these refer to on the SnR websites ect

Any recommendations would be really helpful. Have been looking for a while and can't decide on which is best
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might want to start with your required waist size.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
matt23, without wanting to sound flippant, you need to get yourself down to a shop and try some on. As long as they're not too short, the length doesn't really matter as long as they fit your waist and @rse. If you want something that lasts then you need to be looking at £150+, thereafter it's all down to preferred style.

FWIW, I bought some TNF Rockeller pants last season and used them for 3 weeks in total in temps -20 to +5. No issues whatsoever, kept me warn without getting sweaty. Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fr0sty, 34 Does this help?

Dr John, Not sounding flippant thanks for the info. Am looking for feedback on some brand that has been tried and tested before I venture to the shops. Is the rockeller pants by northface?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My North Face Monte Cargo pants have been bomber for the last 30-40 weeks I've been using them, huge pockets too which are useful. Good variety of funky colours as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The regular rag trade used to work on 50% mark up to wholesaler and 50% to retailer. So cost to manufacturer of technical kit is 10-20% of RRP? Nevertheless, like wine, there is an element of pay more get more. I have old North Face, and fairly recent Killy, Eider and Arcteryx stuff all of which have served well. The impression is that North Face has become more interested in street wear than technical gear but perhaps that is unfair. All mine have been GoreTex so I cannot comment on maker's own 20,000 fabric. My current jacket is XCR and noticeably more breathable than regular GoreTex.

Sizing is as issue. For all you middling people it may not matter so long as the pants don't fall down and room for the tartiflette. For those of us who are 5'6" or 6'5" we need short or long pants. (Anyone who has seen me can guess where I fit in this). Descente, Spyder, Arcteryx, Schoffel, North Face and probably others make long and short fittings but try and find them in the UK. And you can forget any colour other than black. Anyone had any success with buying from USA Europe?

Size is also an issue for other reasons - a recent study of several million men suggests that the bigger you are the more likely you are to get cancer of the testes. So get your big balls checked!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Paramo Aspira
Trousers: http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?ID=228
Salopettes*: http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?id=227

* I've tried & tested 'em for hard wearing snowboarding and they're still going strong.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 4-11-10 10:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The impression is that North Face has become more interested in street wear than technical gear but perhaps that is unfair

From what I've seen the top end TNF (like the summit series) is still ace, but their mid/low range stuff often seems to be overpriced street/fashion gear. Saying that my last ski jacket was at the more basic end of TNF hyvent range, and was still bomber even in severe blizzards.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
matt23, yep, North Face. Nowt wrong with the monte cargo, but I went for the rockeller out of pure aesthetics. The combat pockets are integrated, they're stretchy, and have a taffeta lining that's supremely soft and comfortable. They also came in a very fetching bright green colour. I'm a ponce. So sue me.

Agree with what clarky999 say's, TNF are trying to grab a slice of the "street" market (and why not), but their top end stuff is still serious mountain gear.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Salopettes with braces - Degre7 is my preference. Still using first pair bought 8 years and 20 odd ski weeks ago - never been cold, always comfortable. They were £170 IIRC.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought a pair of Spyder Bormio pants last year from a store in the USA - on line of course. They were slightly damaged on delivery, but still wearable so I skied in them for four weeks and they were fine. I am still waiting for a replacement pair to be delivered as promised!! The pants themselves are terrific. I wore them in condition from -25C to +5C and they were very comfortable. While they were not the cheapest solution to my requirement, they have turned out to be good value for money. No hesitation recommending them as great pants and there are some great deals on line at the moment. Of course there is no substitute for getting down to the store and trying on various pants to see what fits and what looks ok. The problem always is finding a shop assistant who actually knows what they are talking about or otherwise will leave you alone as you browse. Definitely DO NOT buy anything on your first visit. There are lots of options and you should checkout as many as possible. Hope this is helpful.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bushranger wrote:
Definitely DO NOT buy anything on your first visit. There are lots of options and you should checkout as many as possible. Hope this is helpful.

Good advice.

Welcome to snowHeads by the way. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Please, don't but TNF unless you're over 40.

You can thank me later.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bushranger, Very helpful. Was just wondering what deals on line you were refering to. Loads of suggestions, decisions, decisions.

Are there certain things I should consider when buying? There is lots said here about not being below the 20,000 number for water resistant.

Read a post about schoeller fabrics which included the brands Arcteryx, Eider Schoffel, and Columbia. Same technology, but big difference in price range
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Must we use the word 'pants'? Embarassed
snow report
matt23, my bright yellow K2, (made in Italy originals ski Bottoms)red 27, see did not say pants, are being retired this season after 20 years maybe try ebay later this month for a bargin, I am sure they have another few years left in them Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Just boughta pair of Killy Air Water Technology salopettes off fleabay for 31 squiddlies Smile
ski holidays
livetoski, you substituted 'bottoms' for 'pants' like 'Frying Pan' for 'Fire'.

Has the word trousers been expunged from the dictionary?
ski holidays
red 27, I've always referred to them as ski pants, isn't that a 'ye olde dictionary definition' for them? Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy