Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altimeters \ Watches

Poster: A snowHead
I'm pondering buying an altimeter or altimeter \ watch combo.

Any suggestions ? I don't usually wear a watch, but messing about with a phone in a blizzard isn't ideal.

On the subject of phones, my fancy mobile has a GPS altimeter function, but when compared with an OS map there seems to be quite an error - up to 100m vertical, despite the display noting an accuracy of +/- 2 or 3 meters.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
david@mediacopy, I've a Nike one which I bought new from an ebay seller a few years ago. It's alright as a a bit of a toy but as it works on barometric pressure if you are after accuracy I wouldn't think it's anywhere near as accurate as GPS.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
david@mediacopy, Suunto Observer, I wear it everyday as a normal watch. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used a Suunto Core when I did the Mountain Safety course. Found it very useful as a navigation aid. AIUI GPS is not especially good for altitude, but if you calibrate a device based on barometric pressure to a known altitude at least once per day it should be much more accurate.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got a Suunto Core as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a rather old now casio one that uses barometric pressure, and as rob@rar, states its accurate for a couple of days if you calibrate it. Works very well, its very good for "predicting" bad weather as you can see the pressure drop, it draws graphs for you so its all a bit obvious. It also records total up and down over a time period, Shocked which divided by two gives you a rough vertical in a day. All not very useful but a bit of fun.

It also tells the time which is rather useful, but the most dubious function is the temperature, as it just records how warm you are!

There is one similar on ebay here (edited to add)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Casio-SGW-300HB-3AVER-Altimeter-Barometer-Sports-Watch_W0QQitemZ350407759965QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=160330181617&rvr_id=160330181617&cguid=b37dc8eb11f0a0aad4734783ff208d53

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 30-10-10 9:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been looking at this

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4073074
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Guys, I'll check those out.

Mike Pow, That looks pretty useful. I can't see any UK dealers on the web - do you know of any ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This also looks an option - Silva ADC Summit

http://www.silva.se/en/Products/Outdoor-Instruments/ADC---Atmospheric-Data-Center/?productId={4895AE48-5230-49A3-8BC2-034E7D43B370}
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the chavy sportsdirect.com sell suuntos online, some at very good prices
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the suunto is really useful for an altimeter but the other "features" are kinda pointless... the compass is rubbish as it is in constant need of recalibrating so not reliable, the thermometer is stupid as it just tells you your body temp and takes ages to cold soak should you take it off to check actual temp.

but i wear it everyday and it is bullet proof snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy wrote:
Cheers Guys, I'll check those out.

Mike Pow, That looks pretty useful. I can't see any UK dealers on the web - do you know of any ?

Unfortunately not.

Silva 90 quid here

http://www.adventureelectronics.co.uk/index1.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
as a matter of interest, i find it much easier to look at my phone for the time etc than my watch, after peeling back my gloves I am confronted with my jacket inner cuff and my mid layer cuff which both have thumb loops.

In fact its even easier to ask someone else wink wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^^^ i attach my watch to one of the straps on my pack
ski holidays
I've got a Swatch Snowpass (compatible with lots of ski passes in Europe) which also has a fairly good altimeter on it. Cheap, cheerful, looks cool...
ski holidays
these are the best, but because of the eurocrats you need to ay 50% more for a bit of paper before you can use it, oh no hold on thats the other game

http://www.winter-instruments.de/english/produkte/hoehenmesser.html
snow report
hobbiteater, looks a little cumbersome on my wrist? Puzzled

snow report
I would be wary of thinking that a barometric altimeter is going to be 'accurate' for a couple of days - that requires pretty stable weather conditions. In changing conditions, I would not rely on one for more than an hour, if that; as an example, I climbed Ben Nevis a few years ago on a not too nice May day - as I was happy with my other navigation skills, I stopped recalibrating my altimeter after a while, only to find that it had me descending all the rest of the way up; clearly there was a weather front coming in, but I would not have wanted to be relying on it for very long after each time I recalibrated.

Conversely, I have a bottom of the range (and 10 year old) Garmin Etrex; this is a model without barometric altimeter, because I felt that an accurate grid reference should generally be enough and I didn't want anything else draining the battery of what is just an emergency tool. Looking at that on numerous high and low level walks, however, I have found that the altitude readings given have been pretty good - generally within 10m or so of what the map says.

If you are after a GPS which will give decent altitude readings, get a 'proper' one, rather than using a mobile 'phone - perhaps those made for mountain navigation have a little more work put into the altitude part, I don't know.

I have often read on mountaineering forums and in magazines that the altitude reading on a GPS is not reliable, but I would be just as happy to use one (I presume you are looking to keep track of daily ascent/descent rather than for whiteout navigation?) as I wold be to use a barometric one. In the end, you just need to accept and understand the limitations of whichever you choose.
ski holidays
parlor,

OP said
Quote:

altimeter or altimeter \ watch combo.
this is clearly a catagory 1 option.

Yellow Pyranha,

Altitude can only be measured by a barographic instrument, by definition.
Height on the other hand can be measured by survey techniques etc. GPS would give a good approximation of height.
snow report
Puzzled

Not a semantic distinction that I've ever come across. Where does 'elevation' fit in your definitions?
ski holidays
All altimeters, as opposed to GPS devices, work on Barometric pressure. I use one with a map and compass. I will reset the pressure setting whenevert I am at a known height (e.g. sitting in a mountain hut). After a few hours, it will usually be a few m out compared to a map, but still accurate enough to help me work out where I am, traverse in fog without loosing height etc..

GPS heights work of relating position to map height... this is not the same thing at all.
snow conditions
ski wrote:
GPS heights work of relating position to map height... this is not the same thing at all.

Is that the case with all instruments? If you can "see" 4 GPS satellites you can derive a 3d fix. If you can see 3, you can only be at one of two points, one of which will usually be deeply implausible.
snow report
Quote:

Is that the case with all instruments? If you can "see" 4 GPS satellites you can derive a 3d fix. If you can see 3, you can only be at one of two points, one of which will usually be deeply implausible.

You end up with a Lat/Long (position) - which then gets interpreted into a height. GPS does not measure elevation.
snow conditions
hobbiteater wrote:
Altitude can only be measured by a barographic instrument, by definition.
Height on the other hand can be measured by survey techniques etc. GPS would give a good approximation of height.

It appears you are thinking of Flight Level hobbiteater. Altitude (or elevation if you are on the earth's surface) is just the vertical distance above a reference point - the mean sea level at Newlyn if you are in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude

ski wrote:

That's just rubbish! So may map-less little Garmin has a database of the elevation of every point on the earth's surface - I wish!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 1-11-10 11:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Embarassed Did a few searchs.. I stand corrected. Will stick with a barometric altimeter tho

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 1-11-10 11:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ski, http://edu-observatory.org/gps/height.html

and http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/0703/geoid1of3.html

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 1-11-10 11:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ski wrote:
Quote:

You end up with a Lat/Long (position) - which then gets interpreted into a height. GPS does not measure elevation.

It gives a point in three-dimensional space, from which, given some model of the earth - NOT including detailed topography - it can give lat, long and elevation. Some, maybe most, receivers, might assume (or be configured thus) that you are bound to the surface of the earth and look up on a map before deciding on what it's going to tell you for your elevation. I'm sceptical of that, but maybe you can show me otherwise. My main point is that GPS is capable of fixing you in three-dimensional space.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy,
As suggested by Spyderman, rob@rar and Mosha Marc, the Suunto range of watches has a great reputation for the requirement.
Quite widely used in the military as well...
ski holidays
laundryman,

Quote:

My main point is that GPS is capable of fixing you in three-dimensional space

But is it as accurate as a properly set barometric altimeter ?
ski holidays
ski, potentially - mind you, the guy may have been using a rather nifty GPS. Even so, I was surprised at the accuracy.
snow report
I've often read that GPSs are poor at calculating altitude. My experience of using one for nearly ten years is contrary. In practice, with a clear view of the sky, mine concurs with OS spot heights to within ten metres. Only once have I noticed a wild discrepancy when, on the summit of Kebnekaise, it was under reading by perhaps 100m. I later realised that it was still set for UK coordinates and, because of the elipsoid nature of the earth, the MSL would be different.

As I see it the advantages for each are as follows:

Barometric Altimeter
* Low power requirement
* Can be very accurate
* Consistent under tree cover and in canyons

GPS
* Not reliant on recalibration
* Not reliant on accuracy of maps/guardians for recalibration
* Generally consistent
* Gives position too

Some GPS units include a barometer and electronic compass too e.g. the Garmin Foretrex 401 pictured above. The obvious answer is to know the limitations of your tool!
snow conditions
ski wrote:
laundryman,

Quote:

My main point is that GPS is capable of fixing you in three-dimensional space

But is it as accurate as a properly set barometric altimeter ?

Sorry, my previous post crossed with your retraction. I've not used a GPS for elevation (only for yachting, where it shouldn't be an issue!) so I can't give a good answer. I do know that on a bike with a barometric device, I can calibrate it at sea level at the start of the day, and when I get back to sea level a few hours later it can be +/- 50' out.
ski holidays
altis, laundryman, Thanks... I've learned something snowHead
snow report
laundryman wrote:
....If you can "see" 4 GPS satellites you can derive a 3d fix. If you can see 3, you can only be at one of two points, one of which will usually be deeply implausible.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Unless you are in an episode of Star Trek Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Axsman, or Journey to the Centre of the Earth. wink
snow report
I forgot to add that a GPS will also record where you've been so that when you get home you can download it and overlay your track on a map like this:

http://warringtonbears.org.uk/laplagne/20090226.png
latest report
I have found the Nike watches to be the best over the years. More accurate altimeter and much easier to use than Suunto - I know, not what you'd think but simply true (against Observer and Core). Compass on Observer is better except on Core which is prone to sticking. The Tissot Touch is better than all but expensive. The EMS Highgear Axio looks a great price and I will pick one up in December in NYC for a test.
latest report
Hi all,

I went Suunto Core in the end. Seems reasonable on the local hill, and as expected needs resetting regularly in changeable weather.

I also found some different GPS software ("GPS Test") for my phone and that's a lot better, and confirms the watch to within a few meters. The only issue is that it takes a few minutes to sync.

The Suunto is my first watch since childhood so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts before I break it Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy