Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The New Equipment Bug, (An article by Your Ski Coach)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Fastman.

Wow, my head is spinning!

Now how many of those boots will fit me without hurting ?

And the socks! look at all those socks ! Surely there must be a pair of advanced technicla socks which will allow me to be seated firmly in my boots so as to allow solid contact and transmit more power to my edges for a solidly carved turn ?

Or should I just keep picking up cheap stuff from Aldi and Sherpa safe in the knowledge that I am so disorganised that hald the time I will be skiing in regular George gents black socks.

Years ago I actually shelled out on Salomon super socks. They were quite nice as socks went, but I discovered that if you tumble dry them you get a handy source of child sized socks at remarkable expense.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thirty06, great stuff! Been sitting here enjoying a good laugh reading your posts today!

My "tech" socks over the last several years have been a batch of mens dress socks being discarded by an acquaintance who's husband had passed on. Strangely, people appreciate my coaching skills, but don't seem to look to me for fashion ideas. Can't understand it. I thought the Carhartts were quite attractive. Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name, yep, I think that's right, in fact a certain Mr RG said as much to me recently - any and all are real speed machines

Turns'n'turns, nope, sadly have left Tux. I got the Dobs from Nenner at the top, who got them from Nenner at the bottom. Wasn't offered any women's FIS and didn't see any on a stroll through the bottom shop but maybe I didn't ask the right questions?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Strangely, people appreciate my coaching skills, but don't seem to look to me for fashion ideas.

FastMan, Laughing

I was perusing the Snow and Rock catalogue last night (it has pride of place in my bathroom....) and noticed that there is actually a pair of ski boots which claims to help people stand up properly. Nordica's NSF (Natural Foot Stance) technology.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I was perusing the Snow and Rock catalogue last night (it has pride of place in my bathroom....) and noticed that there is actually a pair of ski boots which claims to help people stand up properly. Nordica's NSF (Natural Foot Stance) technology.....

BWHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pam_w You shouldn't make up such outrageous stuff...

Then I Googled it.

The SPORTMACHINE ski boots were specifically designed for advance level frontside skiers. Sportmachine offers technology that has been proven to make skiing easier and, consequently, more enjoyable with all of the great innovations from our highest performance boots. Sportmachine features NFS (natural foot stance) which utilizes your natural standing position requiring less effort and, ultimately, making skiing easier. Sportmachine the future of high performance skiing.

What the heck is a 'Frontside skier' ? what is the opposite ? No, don't go there !

Then I found the full explanation with little coloured diagrams and some stuff about skis.

http://www.ski-mag.com/en/ski/clanak.php?id=20738

The whole lot is just a mass of nonsensical buzz words that promise to make you ski properly so long as you buy this new kit. No apologies for the stuff that they sold you last year.

'Very wide tip of the ski enables faster entrance of the turn while the rest of the ski ensures calmer and more stable exit.'

Or put it another way.

Like every other beginers' ski. You need the big shovel because you are terrible at initiating, but if we gave you a real slalom cut, you'be be flat on your back by the time you realised it had turned. You aren't remotely fit or strong enough to handle the ski that you wish this was, so keep skidding away and next year we'll change the colour scheme and document another feature as being an innovation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Strangely, people appreciate my coaching skills, but don't seem to look to me for fashion ideas.

FastMan, Laughing

Isn't that the slightly splayed foot stance thing? I think Fischer did it with their SOMA boots (or something) - I had the feeling it was suitable for people with weird stance? Dunno, that might actually be at least vaguely valid anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I enjoyed reading that.

I have been in the same situation many times and completely agree.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought ski boots and they certainly altered my skiing once I'd had them properly fitted to compensate for my dodgy ankle. Then I decided to buy a pair skis second hand. Even paying air-carriage I have now paid out far less than I would have done in hire costs and have instead spent that money on lessons.

Reading this thread, I couldn't help but be reminded of the old story below:

Two young boys walked into a pharmacy, picked out a box of Tampax and proceeded to the checkout counter. The man at the counter asked the older boy, "Son, how old are you?"
"Eight," the boy replied.
The man, perplexed but intrigued, couldn't help but ask, "Do you know what these are used for?"
The boy replied, "Not exactly, but they aren't for me. They're for him (pointing to the boy who came in with him). He's my little brother. He's four. We saw on TV that if you use these, you would be able to swim and ride a bike. He can't do either.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the preoccupation about gear is less about wanting a quick fix than consumerism - most people just like buying shiny stuff. And blokes, in particularly, like buying shiny stuff that they can research first.

That said, Fastman's article was a little contradictory and for good reason.

My first pair of shaped skis made a big difference to my skiing. I was pretty proficient on and off-piste with old skinny skis and I could carve some turns on them. When I tried my new shaped skis I could immediately carve turns more often in a wider range of conditions and this gave positive reinforcement (i.e., when I got into the right positions, the skis really responded so I got into the right positions more often). They made a bigger impact on my skiing than any instruction I have had - they kept teaching me every turn.

That said, I'd agree that changing from one skinny ski to another or one shaped ski to another has not been that big a deal. My stockli stormriders are 5 years old. Is supect I'll still be using them in 5 years time. I also have a pair of line prophet 100s. Doubt I'll feel the need to be buying any skis for a few years.

J
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy