Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix in April for families?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The scenario is that we have booked flights to Geneva for April 9 and are wondering where to head.

Two families, one suggestion was Chamonix. I have been there before in Mid march on a middle aged blokes trip. On this scenario we were skiing largely off piste. My concern is whether or not there will be enough sking at this time of the year on the piste to keep people happy. In the week we went it was pretty hot and the Brevent Flegere area became very slushy all the way to the top by about 10 am on the only day we tried. Grand Montets was fabulous but the amount of piste skiing was not that extensive though much of the bowl had been skied into a piste like state, there were some significant queues to get up, do these get longer in April? Le Tour had some pleasaant skiing but agiain not a lot that was not sun affected and on piste but we did not explore it for long. We did not try Les Houches at all. Vallee Blanche would be manageable easily by all but there is considerable resistance by some to the Arrete even though I have assured them it is infact very straught forward. I have heard the approach from the Italian side misses this out. Is this a practical proposition to organise from Chamonix?

The chidren particularly the boys are competent on all pistes and a fair amount of off piste. Some of the adults seem to be getting a bit more cautious with age on steeper slopes including some blacks, but are happy on most though a fair scattering of reds are wanted in the mix.
Is there enough in Chamonix to keep everyone happy?

Aternatively what other suggestions does anyone have. In recent years we have successfully skied in Serre Che Zermatt, Maurienne & Nendaz in April. My gut feeling is that I want to be fairly high for what will be mid april. I am not mad keen on the Taentaise resorts as I find them a bit impersonal and very pricey but recognise they may be the best option. The strength of the Swiss Franc is putting me of Switzerland a bit but it is still a possibility.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
T Bar, Hmmm. I would (I am biased) say yes, you should be fine. You are a bit late in the season to NOT have slushy slopes later if it's warm and sunny on Brevent-Flegere, but we skied till May 5th at GMs.

The Arete is now (or will be by then) fully roped these days, so it shouldn't be an issue.

We skied Les Houches and everything was open with my brother's family up till April 4.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We skied les Houches in the 2nd week of April this year and it snowed several tiems during the week and only the very bottom of the piste to the Prarion télécabine was slushy, conditions were excellent considering the time of year.

I know Argentiere is usually still open till the beginning of May at the opposite end of the valley.

I personally wouldn't do the vallée blanche without a guid or advanced skier who knows the route. The week we were there, a skier had to be pulled out with ropes from a cravasse by his guide, that was on the standard route, without the guide and his ropes, the skier would have been stuck down the cravasse an awful long time.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar, go for it- you know it makes sense.

best; scenery, atmosphere, skiing and pizza in the world.

short transfer too as well as a proper town.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar, We were there last April based in Les Houches (7th to the 14th) with a mixed group of kids and adults similar to yourself, and we found the whole valley to be excellent.

We skied all the different areas all week right over to Le Tour, and the snow conditions were fantastic everywhere - towards the end of the day, the lower sections in Les Houches were heavy going, but it snowed overnight a few times to the valley floor which made things pretty again in the mornings!

Les Houches was empty all the time, the only busy area we found was The Grands Montets, but once up there it was fine. Time it correctly were you ski during the day/week and it will be awesome. We are going back again same time next year as it worked so well for us.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, I wouldn't disagree with any of the above, but would point out that last year that late season conditions were generally good, with nice freshening up falls through to the end of the season. Our apartment (not in Chamonix but not far away as the crow flies) is on a south facing slope at 1550m and we had no problem getting down there right till the end of the season. Some years late conditions aren't so good, and in a warm spring you could find conditions a bit ropey. One possibility, if you have your own car would be a day in Les Contamines. I have a friend with an apartment in Chamonix and she told me it's generally got better cover than all but the highest Chamonix slopes, should things get a bit slushy. The top of LC is east facing and once above the slush and grass of the village you'd be unlucky not to get some decent snow up there, though obviously spring conditions will tend to prevail everywhere but the highest places by then.

Good to hear the Arete is all roped - I still want to do the VB though having heard stories about long walks out in the Spring I think I'd pack a pair of walking boots in a backpack.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to all for the info.
Have just emailed the tourist office as the lift passes are looking seriously expensive if No 1 sprog cannot get on the family pass. Looking at the web site it may be that he pays full adult prices, which bumps the price up a huge amount compared with the family pass.

under a new name,
Quote:

The Arete is now (or will be by then) fully roped these days, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Is this a clip on rope that you can't fall off or a confidence rope? sounds promising anyway.
wildnoon,
Quote:

I personally wouldn't do the vallée blanche without a guide

Don't worry not thinking of it without a guide.
pam w,
Quote:

would point out that last year that late season conditions were generally good, with nice freshening up falls through to the end of the season.

Good point and am taking that into account with all comments, I was in Serre Che last year which I have skied many times in April but never in conditions quite as good as last year.
Quote:

I still want to do the VB though having heard stories about long walks out in the Spring

Not sure where they are walking form but when I did it in a very warm mid-late march we took the train down from Montenvers and you were skiing glacier pretty much to the bottom of the steps to the train, if you were wanting to go further there would have been a long hike to Chamonix.

After checking prices Chamonix is still a possibility but at the moment adding together lift passes and accommodation Nendaz is looking a fair bit cheaper for equivalent accommodation inspite of the Swiss Franc.
Zermatt is looking fairly outrageous any other suggestions or accommodation for eight still gratefully received, will probably not be booking for a week or so due to illness in friends family.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

confidence rope?

Yep, you can hold on.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tatty, whereabouts are you staying in Les Houches?

We are also going to be in Les Houches from 9th-16th April so might catch you on the slopes somewhere.

T Bar, IMO the Chamonix Valley sounds great for your group but so is Nendaz with links across the 4 Valleys. Cost might be your deciding factor.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, if you oldest is just ovefr 15, that it quite an increase in costs, isn't it! Perhaps they can be despatched to have a nice holiday on their own, e.g. Blackpool?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
...Is this a clip on rope that you can't fall off or a confidence rope? sounds promising anyway.

It is a confidence rope.

Here is a photo from April 2005 when I did it with my eldest - then 15.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here is another view of the ridge.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Touchguru, we will be staying more centrally further down the valley this time on the Route Des Praz as we like to choose which part of the valley to head to depending on conditions at the start of the day. We tend to ski together as a group in the afternoons, so if you see a gaggle of about 8 adults and 10 kids on the slopes - that will be us..! (You may even decide to stay well clear!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ed123, Sums Cham up perfectly in my mind. I just hope that it's the best place for my family come April.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tatty, If I see the people train of 18 cruising down one of the slopes I will be sure to come and say hi.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy