Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who knows Chamonix?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.

I've found a decent catered chalet in Chamonix that's only 10 minutes from Chamonix's town centre. From what I've read there's a few resorts within Chamonix itself and I want to make sure that we're staying in the right kind of place as we've never been to Chamonix before.

Does anyone know if Chamonix town is a good base? Are the decent ski lifts, good bars, nightlife and restaurants etc?

Thanks in advance!

NB
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NomadicBoo, hornet's nest.... few resorts produce such diverging opinions. You're going to have to say what kind of skiing you want, and what kind of skier you are as the different Chamonix areas offer different things. But as for bars, nightlife, restaurants etc - yes,provided you're not looking for thigh-slapping yodelling. I don't know Chamonix well but the stunningly exciting scenery never ceases to amaze.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well it's a mixed bag in terms of abilities - there's 14 of us but I'd say the majority are intermediate, one or two advanced and a couple of beginners (although everyone has been at least once).

One thing I'm worried about is ending up in the wrong part of Chamonix, ten miles away from a ski lift that only take you to rubbish terrain. So if anyone knows Chamonix like the back of their hand their knowledge would be appreciated.

Cheers,

NB
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, give us the name or street location of the chalet and we can tell you how close to lifts etc. etc. Bear in mind that there are only a very few (handful) of sk-to-the-garden chalets in the whole of the Chamonix Valley. So if your chalet does not lay on transport then you'll be bussing it.

Also, if your chalet does lay on transport - How many minibuses do they have? As they will only be 8 seaters, and there is 14 of you. So if 8 want to ski in Le Tour then it'll be 70 minutes before the minibus is back to collect the rest!

Cheers.

Andrew
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Chamexpress,

If we go with this chalet it has transfers included. Is the closest aiport Geneva?

As for the chalet itself, the website says under 1000m to lifts. It's chalet Christol - I can't find a road name but it also states under 1km to slopes. Puzzled

NB
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NomadicBoo, this question comes up quite regularly. Do a quick search and you'll find multiple threads that will provide you with all the information you could possibly want.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zero-G, about this particular chalet?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NomadicBoo, can't help as I've never been, but here is the loction map of where chalet christol is situated
http://www.ski-chalets-chamonix.co.uk/chalet_largemap.asp?cid=3092
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NomadicBoo, that 1000m is probably up a very steep slope (Brevent lifts)

if you want ski in ski out convenience and a massive interlinked area, cham ain't your place

if you don't mind a bus ride in the morning and want to ride in some of the most awe inspiring scenery anywhere on mostly very interesting slopes, give it a whirl
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks holidayloverxx, and Arno, .

I'm thinking maybe Cham ain't the place for us! There's a lazy core in this group of 14.

Booking for a large group is an absolute pain in the rear! Everyone wants everything and for 50p!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That is 1000m from the Aiguille du Midi Lift. It looks like Chemin de Ch'na (ish) from the location. Off the Route des Pelerins. You're gonna be on a ski bus near a stop at the bottom of the road, and will prob have to change buses enroute to the lifts.

Nearest bar 800m!!! Infact, nearest life 800m.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NomadicBoo wrote:
about this particular chalet?

Nope but plenty of info about lifts, prices, food, bars, restaurants, pistes, off piste, yadda yadda
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NomadicBoo, I am with the other guys, Cham wouldn't be the place for this group. Are you having problems finding a place or was there some reason you were looking at Cham?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're planning on extreme off piste skiing then proximity to the Aiguille du Midi is perfect. If not, then the location is a little poo.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NomadicBoo With a big group like that there are bound to be some who lie in bed a bit too long and need to catch up with the early leaving group or those who want a longer lunch and then go back for a snooze before re-emerging for an Apres pint or five. Much better therefore to go somewhere where getting lost is more difficult, less choice of areas to ski etc.

But I agree with you that organising 14 is a PITA alright.
snow report
Layne, Trouble finding somewhere within everyones budget. The problem is we have a few ski-snobs who will only look at France (pref courcheval, les arcs etc) and they want nice accomodation (pref with a hot tub) and a decent location close to bars, ski lifts and restaurants. Then we have those who don't care where we go but have a maz budget of £600 for flights, transfers and catered accom.

Zero-G, Thanks. I think a few of our guys might be a few days away from extreme off-piste! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
NomadicBoo, you mentioned some requirements in your OP, so why not summarise your priorities and see whether you get some recommendations for other places to consider?
ski holidays
Chasseur, Thanks. Priorities are;

1) Location. Needs to be close to lifts. Doesn't neccesarily need to be ski in/out just within a couple of minutes walk to lifts that will get us up nice and high. Also within 5 minute walk of decent bars/restaurants and nightlife.
2) Preferably France.
3) Catered chalet preferably with hot tub.
4) About £600 PP

Thanks!

NB
latest report
Forget Chamonix then. It is practically the definition of skiing inconvenience. A great place if you want to ski a different location every day, and the scenery is mind blowing, but you really need to have your own transport to get the best out of the place (Or be a world class off piste skier).
ski holidays
Chamonix is a big town at the bottom of a very deep valley. It's not a 'ski resort'.

At the edge of town on 1 side there is a gondola accessing the Brevent area. This is linked to Flegere (yes I know it has a grave and acute missing) so this is actually a decent sized ski area. When I was there it was fine to ski back to town but apparently that isn't regular though the season; more some weeks yes, some weeks you need to downlift. There are mostly reds and a few blacks and itineraries including a nice one round the back of the mountain from the top of Brevent, accessed by a chairlift from the midstation. There is an outrageously priced restaurant with a suitably outrageous view here (has cropped up on previous threads) but the self-serve restaurants elswhere in the area are merely typically french mega-resort level price! Overall it is fairly steep. It was just about walkable in boots from our centrally-located hotel, going fairly steeply upwards. There is a valley floor access lift into Flegere as well but I never used it so I don't know where this bottom station is (it isn't in Chamonix).

On the other side of town is the Aiguille du Midi lift - goes from 1000m in town to 3800m & accesses off-piste only (the Vallee Blanche).

15mins up the Valley is Grand Montets area accessed from the little village of Argentiere. This is steeper overall than Brevent and has fewer pistes but accesses lots of off-piste options, especially from the top lift which needs a separate ticket from the usual lift pass and is sometimes shut when the rest of the area is open.

20mins on again (so 35-40mins to Chamonix) is Le Tour which is less steep and has some lovely off-the-beaten-track tree-lined pistes, especially the one along the Swiss Border. The front of this area somehow reminded me of the front side of Nevis Range, but larger!

Closer to Chamonix but in the other direction is Les Houches which we never skied as it wasn't included in our lift pass. I think this area is good for tree-skiing and when visibility is bad.

We did a day trip to Les Contamines which was really quiet and with good snow and was about 40mins away (also wasn't on our pass). There also seemed lots of other ski areas nearby which were discussed but we didn't visit (eg Megeve and Courmayeur).

There were lots of lift pass options and it was all a bit confusing for a punter used to a 3V/Killy/PDS-style this resort or whole area straight choice. They might also cover different areas now.

The town itself had plenty of bars and restaurants. There was one street full of bars but most were a bit empty and we searched quite a lot early in the week for better drinking options. We did find some really nice places. I think the best club was in Chamonix Sud which needed a fair trek home. We had one expensive meal in l'Atmosphere (by the river) which was worth it. We were shown around all week by 2 friends who knew the area very well and both had cars so we never used the buses and I rarely made any decisions about where to ski. I had one of my best holidays ever but I'm not sure how good it would have been without local knowledge. Hope that helps.
ski holidays
Have stayed in the Chalet Cherrier in Val D'Isere. Sauna rather than hot tub but opposite the Petit Danois Apres spot and 6/7 minutes from the lifts.

I don't recall the price but our group usually negotiates a chalet only price (for the whole chalet) and uses flights at more reasonable times than many of the packages (but then we are all getting on a bit and 5.30 at Gatwick never looked attractive) which, if you are booking now are not too expensive. We always use a private transfer bus too (It's just easier to make sure everyone is on it). All of which normally comes in around about the £600pp mark. Cut a few 2-4-1 lift pass deals as well, use snowHead discount on equipment rental and you get it all in for under a grand.
latest report
NomadicBoo wrote:
Chasseur, Thanks. Priorities are;

1) Location. Needs to be close to lifts. Doesn't neccesarily need to be ski in/out just within a couple of minutes walk to lifts that will get us up nice and high. Also within 5 minute walk of decent bars/restaurants and nightlife.
2) Preferably France.
3) Catered chalet preferably with hot tub.
4) About £600 PP

Thanks!

NB

When are you looking to go and what does the £600pp expect to include (beyond half board catered chalet)?
snow report
Chasseur,
Quote:
budget of £600 for flights, transfers and catered accom
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, is indeed correct £600 for flights, transfers and catered accom. We're looking to go in January - 22/23rd seem the most reasonable dates in terms of price.

NB
snow conditions
No idea if they will have availability then for the whole place - I suspect not. But as an idea http://www.neilson.co.uk/Snow-France-Alpe-dHuez-Neilson-Chalet-le-Lac-Blanc-I-Accommodation-Information.aspx Piste-side with a bar and several other bars/restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Resort centre about 7-8 minute's walk. 50m from the lifts with direct access to slopes for beginners and easy distribution for the intermediates and more experienced in the group.

My guess is (stating the obvious Smile ) that you'll probably need to hit the phones pretty quickly to get availability for 14 with those requirements with a TO (who'll provide the whole package).
latest report
Checking with Chamonix official web site is all you need.

Others have already said it Chamonix is a valley with several skiing areas unlinked to each other.

There are two main skiing areas of Brevent/La Flegere and Grands Montets. Two smaller areas, say around 50 to 60 km piste, of Les Houches and le Tour at the two extreme ends of the valley. A beginner area, with only 3 to 4 lifts and runs, is available in next to every major skiing facility.

Vallee Blanc is available by taking the chairlift up the Mont Blanc mountain which is a tourist point rather than a skiing place, except off piste with a guide.

On the opposite side of the Mont Blanc Tunnel is a small Italian resort called Courmayeur with 100km piste.

Domain Evasion (Megeve, St Gervais), Les Contamines, Grand Massif (Flaine, Le Carroz, Morillon, Samoen, Sixt) and the French side of Porte du Soleil (Les Gets, Avoriaz, Morzine) and Verbier across the Swiss border are all nearby resorts.
snow conditions
Chasseur, Thanks for the link - checking it out now.

NB
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, no problem snowHead

A quick search suggests quite a few options within the budget.....like Chalet Sylvie in Arcs 2000, in the centre and almost ski in/out...apparently. I don't remember how suitable the immediate area is for your group, but I'm sure others will be better qualified to comment - link http://www.crystalski.co.uk/search/ac.12 ....oh, and it does have a sauna!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are a group of lads I think you'll have a right laugh in Chamonix, the bus rides everyone are on about are an experience in themselves! The ones who dont get up will have a good day in the town as it's huge with plenty of bars. In a week you can go to each 'resort', depending on weather and some of the pistes are the highest, amazing views you'll see anywhere in the alps!

The one's who don't get up miss out! wink
latest report
what...snow, that's a very fair and sensible summary.

saikee, Puzzled Puzzled
Quote:

small Italian resort called Courmayeur

I wouldn't let the locals hear you say that.

Quote:

Checking with Chamonix official web site is all you need.

Not if you're looking for a chalet style experience.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy