Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Years Eve 2010.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've just signed up so appologies if I'm doing anything in-correctly.

I'm a relative Snowboarding novice and am looking to go Snowboarding

in Europe for New Years Eve but I'm also after a big New Years Party and

celebration too.

Can anyone recommend anywhere I'm likely to find both?

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't recommend anything, but welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank-you, nice to be here. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
newboy78, Hemel Hempstead?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
newboy78, welcome to snowHead 's

From experience, Zermatt was great and Chamonix plain bonkers. If you are a party monster and minted go for it, but if you are keen on boarding then maybe choose another week, NYE is the most expensive and busiest week of the season with the chance of poor weather/snow conditions.

If you choose the right resort you can still party hard any week of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey,

I'm afraid I'm not minted (nice thought though) but this is my last New Years before I start my new shift Job

meaning it's going to be difficult to get another New Years off for the foreseeable future

but your advice is greatly appreciated, thank-you. The more suggestions, the better!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
newboy78, I'd agree with jbob. Have your last, great, NYE party in the UK, then head off for a cheaper week's snowboarding, almost certainly with far better snow, at the end of January. Some of the big party towns aren't so great for beginner boarders, but there'll be some good suggestions coming your way. Welcome to snowheads. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tignes usually pushes the boat out for New Year's Eve. Wasn't there last year but in 2008 they had David Guetta headlining.

And the boarding is pretty good too Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Verbier is fantastic for NYE and also for ski-ing. The clubs are mega expensive, but there is a massive street party with DJ and sound system in the Place Centrale.

Loads of fireworks, including people setting them off in the streets, very lively.

Just google/youtube for verbier nye and you'll see the pics and vids Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
newboy78, Tignes was a good party in the snow and it won't break the bank even at that time of year. Go for it. New year's eve has to be done at least once on the slopes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
new years even on the piste has too be done, its amazing! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've done the past few New Years' in the Alps. Chamonix was a great time, and it was possible to make it as cheap or expensive as we wanted (the latter). Garmisch was good fun too due to the ski jumping on Jan 1. I've booked Galtür for this year as a cheaper way to do Ischgl. Should be good, but I'm about to cancel due to a job change, so there will be at least one apartment opening up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been in Zermatt at NY and it was pretty nice, the slopes weren't busy at all either. Snow was ok as well, we skied down to the village and I'm sure everything was open.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Follow this you tube link of a video I took in val thorens at midnight on new years eve to give you an idea of what goes on

http://youtube.com/v/SlOA7UC2LDs
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
St Anton, and Piccadilly Bar.........make sure you can speak Swedish............mental! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Verbier puts on a good show. I was there 3 years ago, Farinet/Kasbah style. Not cheap by any stretch, but one hell of a good party. NY day apes in the Furry Shovel is one to remember as well.

http://youtube.com/v/TpPxFTyDNY4&feature=related
ski holidays
Forgot - Kitzbuehel also great at NY, Londoner Bar - full on and mad.........and expensive but great craic.........one for your list! Keep away from the Streif though if your a new boarder, you might see people flying over your head! Very Happy
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads newboy78! snowHead

I'd have thought just about anywhere in Austria would see you right! Mayrhofen is relatively cheap, a good party town and good for boarders snowHead

Enjoy! Very Happy
ski holidays
+1 for Mayrhofen. The Scotland Yard Pub would probably be the place to head, although there are plenty of others snowHead
latest report
Tignes was great last new year, will be back this new year. Plenty of dancing in the snow if your into your house music, search youtube plenty of vids on there.
ski holidays
Quote:

in 2008 they had David Guetta headlining.

Is he similar to Claude Francois? Or more akin to Plastic Bertrand? Puzzled

Does he actually "perform," as such?
ski holidays
newboy78, Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
I'm not a boarder, but I know that many boarders do go to Mayrhofen, and as cathy said it is a relatively cheap, party town. In all Austrian resorts on New Year's Eve you will see loads of fireworks being let off at midnight (including bangers). Maybe best to not get too close to the centre of things though as some of the local youths tend to let the bangers off inside glass bottles, and dodging the shrapnel can be a bit of a hazard! Shocked
ski holidays
Hi everyone,

What a response! Thankyou for all of your advice and suggestions,

it would appear that I've alot of research to be getting on with Very Happy

I visited my local Snow shop yesterday and was recommended St Anton, Alp Dez,

Tigns & Val De Sair, any thoughts?

Thank-you once again, you'll all a massive help!
snow conditions
newboy78 wrote:

I visited my local Snow shop yesterday and was recommended St Anton, Alp Dez,

Tigns & Val De Sair, any thoughts?

Is that Alpe d'Heuz?

Was there last NY, big free dance party sponsered by one of the national radio stations. Can't remember leaving and woke up not in my bed! High altitude so you get legless quick!

Chamonix is my best place for NY though, again you can just party in the street or go clubbing!

Both of the above (and all my NY's) I was a seasonairre which can get you in places alot cheaper so can't comment on if it's worth the money! You'll have a scream in most big resorts, enjoy! Cool
snow report
newboy78, you also mean Tignes and Val d'Isere - I only correct you as if you want to do some googling then you'll need to know the spellings
ski holidays
Hey,

Thanks for the spelling corrections, I was simply typing verbatim from what

had been written down for me, much appreciated! Getting correct spelling is

always going to be quite a useful first step! Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the information, I've been doing my Homework and Tignes looks like being the winner.

There are a group of us going and we're probably going to book into "Hameau Du Borsat", Grenoble, Tignes.

I'm wondering if this is within walking distance of the Laurent Wolf Gig celebrations?
latest report
Don't know what the Grenoble bit of the address is...

Hameau Du Borsat in Tignes is at the top of Tignes Val Claret. Go to the map here http://www.tignes.net/fr/infos-pratiques/plan-de-la-station-91.html and look in the top right corner, it is the building to the left of the white dot labelled "Tommeuses". Little bakery opposite, skiset hire shop practically underneath and 5/10 min walk downhill (and a lift down) to the area at the bottom where the New Years party was last year (where the VAL CLARET GRANDE MOTTE label is)... very walkable. Also similar distance to 2 supermarkets and closer to the bars of Val Claret. The appts I saw were pretty basic but good in the scheme of things for Tignes!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 11-11-10 16:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lift = passenger lift not a ski lift...
snow report
newboy78, Free buses link Tignes villages. (Val Claret, Le Lac & lavachet) You can walk across the (frozen) lake fom Val C to Le Lac. The big Newyear shindig is at the Place du Lac. (front of the Maison de Tignes).
Check out www.Tignes.net for info & video. It's a great night. Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
Ah they must have moved the party then
latest report
Anyone been in Courchevel for New Year? Due to timing restrictions we're off to 1650 on boxing day and we'll see in the new year there, I'm assuming all bars will have something planned but I'd welcome any recommendations/warnings or just anecdotes based on previous experiences.
ski holidays
newboy78, I agree, Tignes has a great party on the snow, loads of people and ok price for beer. Go for it. Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy