Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets April?

Poster: A snowHead
I have found what seems to be a good deal (i.e cheap) in the first week of april. Having looked at a piste map the resort doesn't look to be that high by French standards. Can anybody comment on conditions here at this time of year.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, it isn't high. Personally, I wouldn't book now for a holiday in Les Gets in April though no doubt (like some other lowish resorts) it sometimes has super conditions in April.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't help you on conditions in April, but I was there last season for 2 weeks in February and it rained on two or three days. Despite that the conditions were very good and I think it's a really nice resort, plus getting to Morzine and Avoriaz is pretty simple.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jakemanc,

Too low, too late.

I have been rained on in Alpe D'Huez (1800m) in January.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jakemanc, have a look at below, is very early to be booking April.

http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/lesgets/interface.php?pk_interface=5&m=images&r=historique&annee=2010&mois=4&jour=9

Try the link and have a look at the historic snow, I was going to say too low too late, but maybe not.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Easter 2007 which I think was first week in April hadgreat snow cover right down to the village level.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jakemanc, if it's a good deal now, it'll be a good deal a week before you want to go, or you'll be able to find somewhere else. Leave it late.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good chance you'll be up to your knees in slush. But if you have a car just drive down the road to Ardents and you can get the lift into the Avoriaz ski area which is much higher.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been to Les Gets in April twice, 07 and this year. Coverage was fine both times, and with the whole of the PDS there's always somewhere better to go if needs be.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RUGBY PETER, halfhand, Callai, why choose to locate yourself away from the higher skiing when you don't have to?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, it's called a budget. And Les Gets is a very good value resort.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 28-10-10 20:47; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a day there mid-April this year - it was only 10 euros for the day!

Mt Chery was closed, but most of the rest on the Morzine side was open, although it was a combination of hard packed in the morning from the overnight refreeze, and then slushy from midday onwards

You might be ok early April, and Les Gets is a very good resort when the conditions are right
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Callai, not at all. £26,000 per week for 8-10 people is hardly budget... (but Descente did go out of business...)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitters, If Mt Chery's closed, why bother? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All in all, I've been to Les Gets 3 times, and I've still never been up Mt Chery! Foolish I know, but the Bowl and Avoriaz are too alluring.
latest report
jakemanc, Les Gets can be dodgy in April but in my experience it's really only risky into the 2nd or 3rd weeks - the first week is usually safe. Anyway as posters have pointed out above, you can go higher in the "right" time of the year and still get rained on.

Morzine is infinitely more risky on the lower slopes but has the saving grace of the link to Avoriaz. Early April in Les Gets you will have Mt Chery (unless it's a really lousy season), Chavannes/Pleny etc over Les Gets and Morzine, and the option to head for Avoriaz etc for a day or two if you fancy it.
snow conditions
andyph,
Quote:

Morzine is infinitely more risky on the lower slopes

Ummm, yeah, like, 100m makes all the difference. Morzine has a considerable advantage of having one main home run that they do everything they possibly can to keep open. At any point in the season, they run its cannons just to stockpile snow for late season, even if the cover is already good.

TBH, if you're worried, book a hamster shack in Avoriaz.
snow report
under a new name, yes, I can't tell you how disappointed I was - I think the red off the back is one of my all-time favourite runs, short but very sweet
snow report
Whitters, I prefer the black though there are a couple of short alternative pitches off the red that can be quite fun, in the right conditions.
ski holidays
under a new name, 172m if you're counting, but anyway... let's not argue the toss over nothings.
snow conditions
andyph, quite! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I am just off for my second season in Les Gets!! We are low down, yes - 1172m in the village, 1587m on the mid station Chauvannes, and a top peak of 2002m for Chamoissiere.

However...my experience is that April is fine - a little slushy in the afternoons admittedly, but then where isnt in spring?! Morzine I would try to steer clear of this late on but if you can get a good deal there its a great base for getting to anywhere in the PDS!

Les Gets is not the most challenging resort - getting up onto Mont Chery will take you to the most challenging runs of Bouquetin and Mouflon - but it has a fantastic variety of runs and beauty. You can find my pics from last season at www.chaletlefrene.yolasite.com (not a plug - the pics are worth a look!) I would say that is one of the best resorts I have EVER been to if you are taking the kids away with you. Very family orientated and always loads going on.

PM me if you have any burning questions about Les Gets - there is not much I cant tell you! x
latest report
under a new name, I had jumped in to a spare place on somebody else's holiday so I had no choice in the matter. However, as I said we had great snow cover and I'd happily go back to Les Gets. Access to all areas of PdS including the higher regions was very easy and we covered a good deal in the week. Have been back to PdS since staying in Morzine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy