Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Skis. K2 Apache crossfire?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi.

New member here seeking some advice.
I’ve used the forum before but never posted anything.

I’m after some new skis, my level is advanced, I’ve skiing for about 28 yrs, since I was about 3.
I mainly ski on piste, some off piste but not enough to warrant wanting to lose the control and more importantly speed of a more piste ski. I like to ski flat out, pretty much all the time.

I ski in pretty much top of the range technical boots if that makes any difference.

I’ve checked in a couple of local shops, one highly recommended last years K2 Apache crossfire, reduced to about 400notes. Then I found them in another shop for 360. Seems an excellent price, but are they any good?
I tried snow and rock and like normal, they want to sell my some 550 pound Salomon jobbies, I’m not doubting they are a great ski but I don’t have that kin of cash at the min.
Any advice? Puzzled

Cheers,

Cramman
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cramman, welcome to SH's

I skied the crossfire when it first came out, very good ski for on piste speed, carving and general charging about. I still have mine for fast piste days they are now 5 /6 years old and still going strong.

I think that the crossfire has been replaced with another ski this season, but I am sure that a K2 expert will be along soon to give advice.

The Crossfires over the years have got wider than mine and I think better from what I have been told, I think it will be a matter of searching to find some of last seasons and trying to haggle a little with people I am sure they will want to move them as quick as possible.

Good hunting
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dynastar contact groove is a really nice option. Great on piste and very versatile

Hmm, Apache is not super stable flatout. how much do you weigh
K2 Apache Crossfire is a classic ski but due an update, saying that at £360 it's not a bad price snowHead

Hope this helps
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski simon,
Quote:

Apache is not super stable flatout

is that the newer models,, my old ones are only 68 underfoot and at speed they seem pretty good to me Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the comments

That is what snow and rock said, ie not too stable a speed.

For note, I'm about 13 stone, 6'2" ish

Some sugestions would go down well, lets say around 400 pound.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nah, they're stable at speed. I have the 08/09 model with 68mm waist and they're superb for piste riding. They feel stable at 50mph+ and they're amazing for carving. Wouldn't rate them off-piste though... but that's partly because I'm 6'4", 86kg and on a 177cm ski in powder.

If you want to ski flat out on the piste - these will be good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
they are good ski's. If you ski them hard they are rock steady if you don't they will do thier own thing which makes people twitchy on them. I'm on older Recon's and they are the same, ski hard or they will hurt you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Some sugestions would go down well, lets say around 400 pound.

MarkSovereign is selling an unused pair of 06/07 Apache Recons for £275. I just can't afford them at the moment Sad

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66978&highlight=

I've also been looking at the Elan Waveflex 78s at skiwear4less which are £350

http://skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Elan_Waveflex_78.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had some crossfires a few years ago, great ski, heavy and stiff, punchy at speeds craves well, but needs to be worked at lower speeds and you need to control them at higher speeds as mentioned above they are want to do there own thing otherwise. They loved hard piste and very stable at speed only becoming chattery at speeds of 85km plus for me. Rubbish off piste though, but great on piste in pretty much all conditions from early hard & icey Zermatt slopes to late spring slushy dolomites.

Not sure what the shops still have left from last season, but maybe something like Nordica Doberman spitfires, or somethign from the fisher heat range if any are knocking about still on the cheap.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Recons being very good for hard carving, but very wobbly in a straight line at speed. I went longer and fatter last season with Missions, much better all round.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cramman, I bought the Crossfires in 2008 for around £325 from Ellis Brigham. I really like them and I find them stable at speed. Pretty heavy so not the best going slow. At the time they were voted the best piste skis by Daily Mail Ski Mag. I'm not an equipment expert so can't compare them to other skis suitable to your needs
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crossfire's are very stable at high speeds, if your an aggressive piste skier then get them, just don't expect to be skiing anything deep.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Crossfires are great skis - Very stable at speed - They were discontinued last year I had a pair whic the top sheet delaminated on - K2 swapped them for the new AMP Charger which is the Crossfire replacement - I havent skiied it yet
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cramman, Crossfires are by far the best skis I have tried, obviously this is down to personal choice, my type of skiing is bombing down all sorts of piste all day and it allowed my technique to improve greatly since I got them 2 years ago. Do yourself a favour, get them!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy