Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva information

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of a DIY trip there, just Mrs L and me, in mid-Jan.

Anyone got a hotel recommendation? Our main requirements would be a decent-sized room, and good food (if half-board). Would rather be near the centre than ski in/out. Ideally, would like to go midweek to midweek, which might be a problem. Happy to push the boat out within reason, but overt luxury is not a requirement.

Innsbruck looks to be the nearest airport, but maybe it's a dodgier transfer. Any info appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, have abandoned previous plan for a N. American trip, due to family pressure for a holiday in Australia later this year.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did the transfer from Innsbruck (to Arraba) for the 6th Birthday Bash. It was very easy however I understand some tour ops don't like it because the road over the pass is prone to being blocked by jack-knifed lorries when it gets icy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman, I have stayed at the Hotel Armin (excellent food and friendly staff) which is a few hundred metres walk from the Ciampinoi gondola lower station, although the hotel runs a courtesy minivan shuttle service to the gondola from about 8:30 onwards. I have also stayed at the Hotel Corona/Krone which is very central (but on that occasion it was in Autumn, not a ski trip, and they had just closed their restaurant so it was only on B & B), but still very nice and once again friendly owners.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, Not sure about the mid week but they quote a daily half board rate at the Hotel Pralong of around 100 euros /day/person. I had a great week there a few years ago. Good rooms, good food, more or less ski in ski out with a chair about 100 yds across the road. It takes less than 10 minutes to walk into the main part of Selva. We flew to Innsbruck.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stayed in the Hotle Oswald a few years ago.Large rooms,great food and a lovely Spa.Its on the main st. about a 5 min walk to main lifts.The skiing is great and the scenery is to die for.Enjoy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't help with where to stay but we went to Selva with Inghams. We flew to Innsbruck, and it was a nice short transfer. The only issue we had was the doors to the luggage seized up but that was nothing to do with the actual journey. We had a great time and it is on our list of places we would go again to.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, Arabba is over two passes from Selva, so any tour-ops concerns for there don't really apply to Selva - from Innsbruck the only pass worth worrying about is the Brenner - which can get *very* slow in snowy conditions, even though it is the main motorway from Munich south to Italy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, if you can get a flight to Bolzano that's by far the closest airport.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, I wouldl go to Hotel Corana as Alastair Pink, said or accross the road from the Krone, Hotel Stella.

Have fun wherever you decide. One of the great areas!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone! snowHead

I'll make a few calls to check out the midweek availability.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobW wrote:
admin, Arabba is over two passes from Selva, so any tour-ops concerns for there don't really apply to Selva - from Innsbruck the only pass worth worrying about is the Brenner - which can get *very* slow in snowy conditions, even though it is the main motorway from Munich south to Italy.
RobW, being the element of commonality between the journeys to Arabba and Selva, it was the Brenner I was talking about.
After all, you wont see many lorries jack-knifed on the passes between Selva and Arabba: the roads aren't wide enough and they're usually walled by snow Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've made 2 return journeys over the Brenner for s5BB and s6BB. Was a 13km car/lorry park heading North, the first time, but fortunately I was heading south. No idea why? Possibly just too much traffic trying to get thru the last tollbooth? Following weekend was totally clear. The other time was clear both ways IIRC, but massive massive jams between Innsbruck and Munich (wouldn't affect you, but I have no idea how I managed to get Talltone back to the airport before his flight).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We stayed in the excellent Hotel Hell. Really. It's a bit down the hill from Selva but just across the road from the main lifts. I jumped over a car on the piste outside our window. How's that for service?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fallliner, "Hotel Hell" Very Happy Great name
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Speak to Petra at the Flora in Selva. We've used it a few times, it's great. wink
ski holidays
None of the above had availability for my midweek dates.

There was still quite a bit of choice though - I've opted for the Hotel Genziana, a 4* near the centre and pretty well ski in/out. There were some good cheaper options, but none quite as convenient. The clincher was that Mrs L demands a bath, while most of the others seemed to be shower only!

The hotel have asked for a deposit by bank transfer, implying that that's normal for Italy. Any info anyone? - I'd much rather avoid a £25 fee and pay by debit card.

Flights booked too. Just transfer from Innsbruck to sort out. Is it feasible by public transport? Or does anyone know a reputable transfer company?

Also, what language do they usually speak in Selva? Seems like German might be the first language of some. I have a smattering of German, but no Italian.

Thanks for any responses!
latest report
They speak both German and Italian in Selva so you'll be fine.

No idea on the deposit, sorry.
ski holidays
dippdydoodogg wrote:
They speak both German and Italian in Selva so you'll be fine.

And Ladino. wink
We drive, our pals used a firm from this site for transfers. http://www.valgardena.it/en/ A new Jag and cheap as...
ski holidays
Thanks guys. snowHead
latest report
laundryman wrote:

The hotel have asked for a deposit by bank transfer, implying that that's normal for Italy. Any info anyone? - I'd much rather avoid a £25 fee and pay by debit card.

It is fairly normal for hotels in Italy to not take cards (either credit or debit).

And that applies when you are actually there too, you will often need cash to pay any bills.

When we went on a September touring holiday to the Dolomites a couple of years ago, I think there was only one of the five hotels we stayed at that took cards, and they were mostly 3 star.
snow report
alex_heney, thanks. The hotel has insisted on the bank transfer for the deposit, but is happy to take a card for the final settlement.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy