Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prophet 100s vs Mantras?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead 's,

I need some advice on which skies to buy.

I'm stuck between 184cm Volkl Mantras and 186cm Line Prophet 100s. I've had a search through the threads and all the related threads seem to be from last year. Which isn't necesserily unhelpful as I get the impression these skies haven't evolved much since last year except for graphics.

My skiing style is full speed ahead on piste and through moguls, off piste I'm ok and will attempt anything, style is inversely proportional to steepness. Hopefully 2 weeks in Tignes in December and 4 weeks in Val in Jan will hone my off piste style!

I'm 110kg, 183cm tall and 40 years old.

The last two seasons I've skied on Salomon Tornados which were excellent on piste but sink noticably off piste.

Learning so far is...

Mantras - excellent ski, indestructable, can be a handful and heavy.

Prophet 100 - excellent all mountain, shorter radius, more float.

I'm leaning towards the Prophets as I think these would be better in moguls as they are twin tipped and more flexible. Plus just bought all the off piste gear so will be carrying the extra weight of a pack around this season.

Moguls are the only thing I can think of where the Mantras might be too stiff.

The package I'm looking at includes Marker Griffon 12 bindings. Was thinking of going for the Jester binding. I've been using a DIN setting of 8/9 for the last few years.

Over to you snowheads...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both good skis IMV so you won't really go wrong. Mantras have IME edge hold probably at the top of the class for their width but I skied the Prophet's predecessor for years as my main alpine ski and loved it to bits so I'd probably go for it in a straight decision. YMMV.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon you have enough KGs to bend the Mantras !!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks fatbob.

PBJ, I think you may be right! Shocked Hence why I'm considereing them. Just back from a bike ride to try and "tone up" for the coming season! wink

I skied on a pair of Tigersharks in Verbier the season before last and cracked them just in front of the toe binding! Don't remember a particular event where it hapened but it must have been in the moguls as they were fantastic on piste and I only noticed there was something wrong when one of the skies was flapping Shocked

The bloke in the hire shop wasn't impressed! Shocked good job I took out the insurance (12 euro) when I booked them Very Happy He reckoned they cost 1400 euro to replace! Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Both as said are fantastic skis, I reccon the 100's will be a little more forgiving after a long days skiing, mantras are awsome but I found them quite tiring after a long days ski!

As for bindings you can get away with either a jester or griffon with an 8 din 9 din then i would start leaning towards the jester! (it does add a little weight to the ski but im sure u can cope with it Blush)

let us know if you want any prices! always happy to sort out a snowHead with good taste in skis!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowgood,
Quote:
He reckoned they cost 1400 euro to replace!
that'll be right! rolling eyes
I've been skiing Mantras (191s) for about three years now. Great ski. Never looked back. I spend probably about 80% of my time off piste though. For piste skiing they are OK, but tend to chatter when edging on hard pistes, so you have to be very precise about how hard you edge them. Not really the right thing for moguls either, where I would say the Tigersharks win hands down. My wife has a pair of Tigersharks and leaves me standing on piste. Off piste is a different story Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Prophs are great skis, though don't feel they'd be the best for Moguls
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dansmith, Thanks for the nod towards the Jester, that's how I'm thinking at the moment. Had a look at the snowtrax site, couldn't find an explaination of the ski flex rating?

Steilhang, Like your name and your location! I spent 6 months in Munich over 1998/9 working at BMW when they owned Rover and Landrover = lots of weekend trips down to the Alps Toofy Grin Beautiful city, how is the Hofbruhaus these days? Very Happy

I probably won't be spending as much time as you off piste, probably more like 50/50 on/off piste for me. Interesting that you say the Tigersharks are better in moguls than your Mantras, I would have thought they were of similar stiffness.

papasmurf, do you think they'd be better in moguls than the Mantras? That's really the question, I know they both aren't the ski you would chose for moguls but I think the prophets might be more forgiving in moguls than the Mantras, which may tilt the balance towards them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowgood,
Quote:
Beautiful city, how is the Hofbruhaus these days?
I can remember when I last went into the Hofbräuhaus, but can't remember coming out again! Havn't been back since, and that was nearly twenty years ago Very Happy If my wife is anything to go by then the Tigersharks are definitely better than the Mantras in the moguls, but I havn't tried them myself so can only give indirect evidence. Whatever, the Tigershark is a fantastic ski; you must have given yours a hell of a whack to break it Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Prophets are a lot softer than Mantras; we love them both but if you're heavy and strong with decent technique you'll get more out of the Mantras for longer. If you weighed less and liked the pow, I'd say go for Prophets.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone tried the new Volkl Kendo as I have my eye on them for this season?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steilhang, sounds like you're overdue a trip (or two) to the Hofbräuhaus! 20 years since you've been Puzzled - bow your snowhead in shame! wink
The Tigersharks were fanstastic, only had them for a week, I can't remember the impact/incident that broke them, just that once we got back on piste one was flapping about!

fallliner, Thanks really interesting, you've thrown it wide open again! Puzzled A mate did suggest to buy both but that's not an option unfortunately Sad

Fogliettaz, I've only read about them, but they seem a decent ski too!

I think I might need to actually try them out, but a snow dome here in the UK probably isn't the best test.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Man up and get the longer Mantra's to avoid the flotation issue, you are tall enough. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i just bought a pair of mantras 191 on recommendations , im 6 4 and 100kg and older than you

gonna give em a spin in december... didnt learn a whole lot at hemel after 3 runs Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting debate this ..........
My view is probably that the Mantras are a bit stiff for most of the skiers who think they need them.
I have a pair of Mantra 186s ....... I am 85KGs and 6ft 2ins ........ think I am a pretty OK skier ..... been doing it 35yrs and ski realistically 50/50 on and off piste ....... may be getting old and tired though !
Mantras are quite hard work - you get out what you put in ...... so you need to drive them. Have you considered the new Nanuqs ..... supposed to be a bit softer Mantra.

I have not skied the Lines - but like the look of them.
The best fun skis I have ever had are Pocket Rockets - soft yes but fun all over the mountain ................... and thats what we do it for.

Go for the ski you are going to enjoy most ..... not the most macho.
latest report
PBJ wrote:
Interesting debate this ..........
I have a pair of Mantra 186s .......

PBJ, do you not maybe mean 184s?

I am 6 foot and 80kg and have a pair of 184 Mantras. You do have to drive them fairly aggressively but IMHO they are a great ski for variables, crud, long radius carving and powder.

Never tried the 100's so can't comment on those unfortunately.
ski holidays
Yes 184s

Take a look at the thread on Tetongravity ............ some good useful reviews.
They don't generally rate the Mantra in the powder ....... and I agree ........ thats why I've just got some Preachers.
snow report
There are definitely better skis out there than the Mantra for powder. But it is a pretty useful go anywhere ski and can ski powder although on the stiff side for sure.
latest report
PBJ, I have Mantra 191s am ~6ft and weigh 86Kg... I don't find them stiff at all and think they rock in powder ( European, not Champagne ). They also rock in heavy chewed up powder ( if you can call it that ) and spring slush. They are only so so for high speed carving on hard pistes, so I would not buy them as a piste ski, but would definitely consider the Tigershark for that. My opinion!
latest report
snowgood,
I was looking at both of these skis earlier in the year, when searching for an all mountain ski with an off piste bias. The Mantras just seemed to be a wide GS type ski, which I've already got (sort of, with a pair of Stormriders). The Prophet seemed to fit the bill better, but then I took a chance and decided to go for WDF Preachers. I can't emphasize enough how shite hot these skis are. They do just about everything (don't know about moguls though), and will put a permanent grin on your face. You will have a great time on them.
snow conditions
snowgood, I've not skied any of the other skis mentioned here, but bought the Mantras in 191 last year. I'm a tad shorter and lighter (but a decade older) than you and found the 184s just too prone to tip dive in soft snow (lots of knee-deep powder last xmas). The guy in the shop recommended I try the 191 and it was chalk and cheese - immediate sale. You really should try the 191s before deciding. Trees do through then start requiring a bit more work. Agree with the comments above regarding them needing driving - I had to pack up early in the day a couple of times last season as I was starting to lose it after some hard skiing, but I hadn't been doing much on my fitness then (reminder to self - do so NOW!!!)
latest report
Snowgood, I have nothing but praise for Mantras. I have just sold my 184cm 07/08's on this forum for good money (and have had 4-5 people chasing after they sold, shows they are sought after IMO). I bought 09/10 Mantras again 184cm, (with new tricky graphics) only so I can have a Marker Duke binding. I ski hard and fast on piste, 50/50 on/off and they are rock solid at speed on piste, great in powder (just float), crud (bash through) and moguls (easily steerable). I am 50, 98kg (and want to be 85-88kg), 1.86m and an aggressive skier IMO. They turn on a 2.5p (sixpence in old money) piece and are perfect in all situations, for my money I'd not want for anything else................also just bought my wife some Aura's (same as Mantras but female version).

I dont get the tiring comment above, never had an issue, and have skied them 10 weeks I reckon..............cant wait to try out my new ones! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I'm with Steilhang on this, although have never had issues on piste, but you DO have to drive them on piste, almost like entering a power-band on a motorbike - they perform better when pushed hard.
ski holidays
Going back to the Prophs v Mantras I have been through the same debate. TGR has done this to death.

As S from A says, the Mantra is essentially a fat GS ski. It's there to be pushed hard and will definitely have a higher performance level on piste than the Prophet (at speed) - its double metal sheets make it feel really burly.

Being wide and softer the Prophet is better in the powder and moguls and depending on your level you might not lose that much performance on piste.

More importantly, they both look awesome. The Prophet has a partially transparent top sheet showing off the wood core, the Mantra has a really sweet pearlesenct under coat.

On bindings - Jesters are the way forward for these skis - bit of substance to them.
snow conditions
S From A, and Frogman............"the Mantras just seem to be a wide GS ski"..........no way, they are never in this bracket, have skied on many skis over the years and i'd never class these as a wide GS ski, still its maybe me, i'd best keep an eye out for those race gates as I power down Tortin, Vallon D'Arby, Stuben, Zurs and others...............will post if I see any! Confused
latest report
6', 82ks and 184cm Mantras here - I love them. Sure they don't rail as well as race ski but they're pretty good at carving on everything apart from absolute boilerplate. I find them quite easy to ski all across the mountain and never found them as tiring as my race skis or the Legend Pros they replaced. To me they do feel like a wide GS ski, obviously a little softer and nothing like as stiff a tail as a true race ski.
snow report
Markymark29, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick (assuming you have taken it as a negative), a wide gs ski would be a good thing for doing big fast gs turns offpiste and smashing through variable snow.
snow conditions
Wow, thanks for all your comments, now I'm tending back to the mantras!

I think I may pop over to the Birmingham show tomorrow and take a closer look at them both. Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowgood, bring a credit card and MTFU Toofy Grin
snow report
After some of the above comments I am tempted to MTFU, ditch the 184's and go for the 191's! Very Happy
ski holidays
Touchguru, nah you will be good with the 184's i used to ski karmas in 177 and found em only a bit short at my er um girth...
ski holidays
I better MTFU and load up with Snickers for the show tomorrow then! Toofy Grin

Friday night beers calling now, catch up with you all later.

Prost! Very Happy
ski holidays
snowgood, 1 stiff 5 soft... its a bit of a guide more than anything made up by us, it may not be actuate. both are fantastic skis and u won't be disappointed in either! when my amplids die I will prob end up with one of these 2.
latest report
Decision made and the winner is the Volkl Mantras Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Seeing them both side by side at the show today, and chatting to the assistant, the mantras won. Obviously the Prophets are excellent too, but I think overall the Mantras will suit me better. 191cm with Marker Jester bindings is the order of the day.

Thanks snowHead s for all your advice
ski holidays
Fogliettaz, I'm not sure I should be posting in this thread, not nearly enough testosterone Wink Just wanted to say I skied the Kendos last year and loved them. If I needed an allround ski this year they would be top of my list, I thought they were, very, very like the old Karmas and skied pretty close to the Mantras, which I tried on the same day, just a little skinnier and easier going. I loved the Mantras for the few runs I tried them but would be worried about finding them tiring after a whole day and the Kendos seemed like they would be ideal for people like that and a lot of fun in a lot of different conditions.
ski holidays
Having noticed a few references to Sport Conrad on various threads on here, I've just been having a look at the Sport Conrad site, their prices seem very good.

Has anyone had any problems when they have ordered skis from them and had them shipped to the UK?
snow report
PS. How come Google haven't street mapped Germany yet?
snow conditions
Quote:

Has anyone had any problems when they have ordered skis from them and had them shipped to the UK?

I've bought skis from them. Arrived in the UK within five days. Telemark Pyrenees are good as well. In fact I got my wife's Mantras from them.
snow report
lynseyf, Thanks for that, I have to buy some Gotama's for my son (bribery works wonders at exam time) and i was looking at either Mantra's or the new Kendo for myself. We share the same boot size so most our kit can be used by either of us. I was swaying towards the Kendo rather than the new Salomon Sentinel and Dynastar Sultan.

snowgood, I have bought on a number of occasions from Sport Conrad and the service is excellent usually delivered in 48 hrs.
snow report
snowgood Well done for going for the longer skis, I'm sure you've made the right choice.

I thought I'd bought one pair of slalom skis from Sport Conrad a while back, but on checking back it was from another German ebay seller. I'm sure you'll have no problems. I've also bought several times from Telemark Pyrenees - not quite a bargain basement as Conrad but excellent service and prompt (I once called them from a chairlift in Switzerland one Friday morning re a broken binding and the replacement part was on my desk when I got back to England the following Monday)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy