Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs Or La Plagne??

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

My wife and I have been snowboarding for just 3 seasons now and we throughly enjoy it. We are planning to got to the Paradiski area this time, only i'm not sure whether to stay in Belle Plagne or to stay in Les Arcs 1800. We'll probably only end up using one of the 2 areas rather than actually shuttle across.

My question is, which of the 2 is better for Snowboarders?

We don't like narrow runs with too many flat sections (infact we hate flat sections where skiers look smug while they push along with their sticks). Broad reasonably steep blue with good snow cover is sort of ideal. We went to Cervinia last season and totally loved the motorway blue runs not to mention the snow. Infact we had our first taste of real powder there. Madeye-Smiley

Any responses are appreciated. Finally, i apologise if this has been answered already, I tried to search but couldn't get an answer from a snowboarders perspective.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Arcs is probably best for you if you don't like flats. IIRC there are some in Les Arcs but there are probably a few more in La Plagne. And if you aren't confident at going flat out you'll find yourself walking a fair bit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know about Les Arcs but there is a large flatish section in the middle of the main La Plagne bowl which can be an issue for boarders if you aren't happy taking a lot of speed into a flat. You have to cross this section when travelling to/from a fair amount of the La Plagne area too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs - without question.

I've done both, and return year after year to Les Arcs for a long weekend snowboarding - limited or no flats (keep away from the 2000 bowl under the Arcabulle lift - flattish run out) that are easy to avoid anyway.

The blues and reds into 1800 are perfect for your level. And importantly in most parts of the resort there is a blue and a red option from the top of the lift to the bottom, so you can pick and choose which one you do.

La Plagne, I've done a week a few years ago, and didn't particularly like it then - some of the long blues that look attractive on the piste map do have long flat sections where you grind to a stop (and even some uphill segments!) - Thou I'm sure if you knew where to avoid, you could avoid them. I returned there again for a day trip from Les Arcs last year, and felt much the same about the place. Les Arcs much much better!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
another vote for Les Arcs Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vote for Les Arcs from me lots of great run some tree lined but stay in 1800 not 2000 as its dead at night
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
khwaja, if your not sure , and if your not fussed with apres-ski , then stay in les coches , smack bang in the middle and easy access to both les arcs and la plagne. never been on a board but I would definately say Les Arcs as there is far more 'dragging your board' potential in la plagne.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
khwaja, Did a season there a couple of years ago, both boarding and skiing. Would agree with 1800 as the recommendation - but as Richie S says there is a big flat bit at the bottom of Arcablue - oksih if you take speed and head left down to marmottes, but impossible to get into 2000 on a board without unstrapping a little. Also if you want to head to the Grand Col then take the Varet and then ariandeliers off the top, then turn left to vallee de l'arc - heading down from Col de La Chal (top of the transarc) probably needs unstrapping too.

Now that you're skiing this side of the washing line then do yourself a favour and don't stay in les coches...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
khwaja, if you like a bit of night life Arc 1800 is very good. If you like a bit of luxury Arc 1950 is the place to stay. Other places are ok as well, but Arc 1600 is very sleepy. Arc 2000 is getting much better with clubs, bars and the bowling. As for the boarding, there should be a new tow for this season to get across the flat bowl in Arc 2000 now so Very Happy no more walking Very Happy The best is still 1800 for no walking to get home but for board in board out at a price if you have big pockets is Arc 1950 hand down the best.

If you compare with La Plagne, well there are loads of flat bits in La Plagne but it does have some great runs as well. Just I prefer Les Arcs as well. Loads of boarders in Les Arcs and a good snowpark if you have lots of padding. Twisted Evil Enjoy wherever you end up. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks very much all! I think the decision has been made for me - Les Arcs 1800 it is! Thanks again. And i must say this forum is one of the kindest I've been on!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
khwaja wrote:
And i must say this forum is one of the kindest I've been on!

lol you haven't been here long enough yet...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
if you are tempted by something in 2000 instead you can avoid the flat bit by going into 1950 and taking the Cabriolet bubble that runs between the two towns...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Defo les Arcs... keep the pistes of La Plagne free please!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Arcs 1800. Huge range and good Apres. If you get tempted to go to La Plagne you can always go on the gondola for the day

I go in 9 days!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gainz wrote:
khwaja wrote:
And i must say this forum is one of the kindest I've been on!

lol you haven't been here long enough yet...

Someone will be along in a minute with the abuse. Very Happy

Les Arcs would be my choice.
ski holidays
Deffo Les arcs lots more for the boarder, La Plagne has so many flat bits, did you know Plagne acutually means Plain as in Salisbury Plain ...... very flat! Toofy Grin
latest report
La Plagne is flats hell. To be fair there is alot of those rope pull lifts to get you past the worse. Its really awful for novice boarders in places.
I would also not take a novice boarder into the 2000 bowl until they are confident going warp factor 10 on flats and cat tracks. Its pretty dam hard to get down from the top of the transarc to 2000/1950 without hitting one of the flats. They are fine for a 2 week onward boarder. Run down to grand col can be a problem if the snow gets a bit sticky.

I would recommend peisey/vallandry-1800 to stay. 1800 if you party, peisey/vallandry if you dont. Both have access to tree runs when the bad light comes in. vallandry has dam near no flats, Excellent reds (that are perfect "blues" for boarders) and two fun (easy) blacks which are a hoot if there is some freshies. The blue at the 66 lift and the blue down from the derby are excellent for learning the ropes, tweeking your switch and flat land tricks. Theres loads of easy off piste in the trees and under the lifts around vallandry (which i love) . 1800 has a few rollers that can be tricky for a real beginner, but at 3 seasons this should be no problem.

Tux
ski holidays
Les Arcs is awesome but La Plagne is not without its merits and to be honest you can avoid most flat spots or get enough speed to glide through them. The lower bowl area around Arc 2000 is a more or less one big flat spot though so be warned.... That said, there is loads of really good terrain around the Les Arcs area and most red runs are fairly easy too. 1800 is a great base with easy access to everything and skiing the wide reds tree runs over near Peisey/Vallandry (excuse the spelling) will suit you perfectly by the sounds of things.

If you like to do a few miles, I would recommend the discovery lift pass.... Go across on the Vanoise Express cable car and up over into La Plagne for a day. Despite the ugly La Plagne architecture it is a good resort and the view from one of the main peaks towards Courchevel on a sunny day is amazing.
snow conditions
Am I missing something ? having been to La Plagne I don't remember dragging my board that much? you lot must just be rubbish Laughing
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow,
You're in a festive fighting spirit! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I have booked to stay in Montchavin and have gone for the illimite pass so if we arent enjoying La Plagne or fancy a change we can always take the Vanoise Express over. Having never been to this area before we were recommended this resort as it is very apliney, oldy worldy, has great views and is easy enough to switch valley sides.
ski holidays
Kruisler, I hate christmas Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy