Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

telemark- ski choice

Poster: A snowHead
hello fellow pin heads and beardie wierdies, how were your organic tofu fritters this evening?

I have perhaps foolishly bought some new skis and only now ask for views.

Current skis;

1. alpine- Line prophet 90s 172cm with Duke bindings and BD skins

2. Tele- Salomon foils 166cm with cobra R8s (actually R6s with R8 springs and heel pieces- it is just the colour I hope)

new skis- in the post- second hand Line Prophet flites 172cm- I will be able to use exactly the same skins as exactly the same shape- I hope.

Theory- I will be better on a slightly softer tele ski than alpine- is this true?? My thoughts being that telemarking; I ski a lot slower, I get more knackered so really can't be fighting a stiff ski, as each ski is weighted more then the grip will work better with a softer ski- each edge taking pressure so it being divided better between up and downhill skis- compared with teh greater divide when using alpine gear (except in powder)

Or is this just all crap?

Needles sto say I have got on really well with the foils mounted with tele bindings (they are very forgiving) so now I really want to spoil it and spend a week or so eating snow on hard earned ski hols.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sorry forgot to mention,

alpine- reasonable skier- 30-45 weeks or so with about 2-3.5 weeks per year for the last 10 years. Happy to ski on piste anywhere and off piste most places but not silly steep

That is just about my limit. Can cope with most snow types but crusty a struggle. Used to use foils for all alpine skiing and found them very forgiving. Line Prophet 90s for the last 2 seasons- a tricky start with binding issues (not screwed on straight, pre-releasing) and also psyched out - but last season skied gully above with no particular problems.

tele- not much really- a couple of lessons about 6 years ago, then used some movement freeheels about 180cm for a week or so (too stiff and too long), last season moved tele bindings to old alpine skis (166 foils) and skied 3 days tele 3 alpine at Xmas in Cham (nothing hard- childcare ) then 1 week tele with family again nothing hard- mostly on piste in les Arcs- no problems with pisted reds- but slower than friends on alpine, one moderate descent in powder- which was a spiritual experience and no significant falls, struggled to keep up with 8yr old son on bumps which was pissy, but he did do them faster than everyone else on les bosses at the time- which will have been even pissier for them. Also odd days/hours at Chilfactore and a trip to Yad Moss- really.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i just went with the same skis as i had alpine when i started to convert to tele sans problem. i am pretty hefty though so wasnt bothered about the stiffness - which i do think is relative so you should be sweet. Line are I think generally softer than movement (i'm on movements for both alpine and tele), so again you should be fine with your choice if you were liking the prophets but not the freeheels.
all seem a bit short unless you aint that tall? personal preference maybe
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ed123, I agree with the slightly softer ski theory. It's technically harder to get, and keep, pressure down through the skis in tele - and you're (generally) always aiming for 50-50 weight distribution between the skis - rather than the 80-20 that you'd aim for in performance piste skiing.

The Flite looks like a good choice of ski.

Nice photo!

Now get back to knitting your llama hat...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not that tall but fairly lardy! 5'8" if I stand really straight and think tall thoughts, 86kg currently- can be heavier- trying to be lighter......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FlyingStantoni, well I have to wait for the llama harvest to really get underway and the organic free range llamas always take just a little longer to mature.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ed123, I prefer a stiffer ski for tele Puzzled Why ? because a tele ski will flex more than an alpine - no alpine binding, the same ski will seem softer for tele than alpine. I may have said it before - but get rid of the Cobras and try some Hammerheads ..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh - and
Quote:

get more knackered

= weight on the back seat ... build up those quads and flex (both) ankles wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski, oh no! but- are you a much better tele skier than me? I am basically OKish on piste and just about hang in by the skin of my teeth off- and I'm not very fit compared to almost anyone else who would think about telemarking.

I think I get knackered because telemarking is knackering (on alpine skis- normal piste skiing does not really tire me- but off piste does). My tele stance and basic skills are OK (I think)- but I will have a think /look. Perhaps some more instruction /video would be a good idea.

Binding wise I am quite keen to get some 7tm power stis ?

ski, what do you use for alpine and for tele?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ed123 wrote:
FlyingStantoni, well I have to wait for the llama harvest to really get underway and the organic free range llamas always take just a little longer to mature.

If you were a real telemarker you'd be growing your own organic free range llama.

All the gear and no idea or what Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ed123, I have a set of Solly Xwing Furies, 181 cm (?) with Hammerheads.. which I'm not sure about yet. Puzzled

Mr Ski has Dynastar Intuitiv Bigs - 169 cm - they are a great all round ski snowHead Also Tua Big Easys with Superloops 178. Boots are T1s.

Not sure about the better skier Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ed123, BTW there will be bunch of us at Hemel on Sunday morning - fancy joining for a play ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski, thanks for the invite- I'm up in the North West though. I think there is a tele meet most Sundays at Chill Factore but at a bit of a crazy hour of the morning.

FlyingStantoni, who said they weren't my own hand reared, ethically traded organic free range llamas- which I part own in the North West organic free range llama co-op.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ed123,

Quote:

Binding wise I am quite keen to get some 7tm power stis ?

If you can - demo some Hammerheads. NTN and HHs are much, much more active that 7TMs or Cobras...they really help with getting pressure on the back ski.

As far as the knackering goes... yes the first day of the season does usually hurt a bit... no denying Tele (especially in a low stance) is harder work than Alpine. But (IMV) the most common reason is because of being too far back - you then have to rely much more on your quads to keep you up.. which is knackering ! Same as Alpine come to think of it.

If you can manage it - 1/2 a day on teles, then 1/2 on Alpine can let you practise quality Tele turns, without re-enforcing faults caused by tiredness. Also get in the bumps Toofy Grin

BTW - where is the picture - Tignes ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski, that isn't me! it is a friend but I followed. The picture is in Flaine with a trip report here.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55843&start=280

I'm the fat bloke in the red jacket!
snow report
ed123, Nice TR... what Fat bloke ?
ski holidays
ski wrote:
ed123, Nice TR... what Fat bloke ?

The one on the other side of the camera
ski holidays
ed123, I think if U not want to go with climbingskins, its better to look for alpine skis, and use them for telemark, look for skis on this site,,
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/
and they are very wellknowing about telemark Very Happy
snow conditions
ed123, And, if its possible , test skis, different, teleskis, alpineskis with telebinding,, and make your choice,, whats best for me, is proberly not OK for U,,
snow conditions
barry, said
Quote:
I just went with the same skis as i had alpine when i started to convert to tele sans problem

Same here - I just stick my tele binders on my old Alpine skis when I get a new set, and don't worry about using tele-specific skis.

I did start teleing on extremely skinny Åsnes MtnExtreme skis however (side-cut ... what side-cut!)

Never did get to use the wooden ones in this pic, however Very Happy ...
ski holidays
geoffers, get that mono converted to telly, come on man! Cool Shocked
snow report
ed123, I forget to say, nice foto,, its looks steep Very Happy and to say about my skis, I have ski Extrem Patriot 191 since a couple of year with Cobra R8,
http://extrem.com/products/patriot/ they are alpine skis, but work excelent as teleskis, allover the mountan, then I for this season was wanted to find me unother pair of skis, my choice was Salomon Rocker,
http://www.doglotion.com/essays/salomon-rocker-2 I was looking for hammerhead to this, but I trust my Cobra R8, so why change Puzzled I have only 5 powderday with them this season so far,, but what can I say,, I will not compare with to have sex,, but,, wink
and geoffers, I like your collection Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy