Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Up & Down - change of bindings or boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Bit of a conundrum here - current set up feels a little bit on the soft side when it comes to the down bit so looking at various options and interested in the experiences with other options.

Current touring set up is with Line Profit 90s, Fritschi Freerides and Scarpa Matrix - skiing is more about a short hike off the lifts, day tours, a few days in Scotland and the odd summit but not enjoying the down as much as on my normal alpine set up. I know this will always be a compromise and that technique will overcome equipment but alas back in the real world I get to ski approx 3 weeks a year and want to get the best out of every moment.

On the binding front been looking at the Marker F10/12 which comes in a little lighter than the Fritschis but wondered has anyone actually been out on these bindings? The other option I am looking at is to go with something from the Dynafit Vertical range. Also interested in any feedback on a beefier boot such as the Scarpa Skookum - fronts of my feet are pretty wide so tend to suit Scarpa based on previous fits. Trying to demo stuff is difficult when you only really know when the snow is at best variable and the blister are starting to bite wink

Have read the usual reviews via Google but really appreciate comments from those with other set ups
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your Matrix feel weird to ski in because:

Lower cuff height - feels like less support up your leg.
Not as rigid - the boots offer less resistance when you flex the boot - laterally as well as forward pressure.
Rockered sole - great for walking, but it can effect how you feel stood up in your bindings.
Cuff alignment - it probably has less forward lean than you are used to so you feel more upright.

Your Freerides feel weird to ski in because:

They suck - too high off the ski and too much slop - movement of the boot within the bindings and movement of the bindings when you are translating movement from body to ski.

They are reasonably good at up though, not as light as Dynafit (obviously). The new Pro version has copied the Eagle (another Fritschi product) with a new pivot point which makes the stride feel better.

If you can justify the cost just go for a Dynafit set up!

Boots have got much better, Scarpa & Dynafit have got some very very light but still powerful boots now (Maestrale & TLT5, respectively). There are boots for everyone now, lycra wearing rando racers to BC cliff hucking superstars. You choose where you want to ski and then get the ones that fit best...

As for bindings I think you would notice a difference between the FRs and the new FT10/12

If you spend more time skiing alpine / resort stuff then a Marker Baron *might* be an option too.

Buy Dynafit, you won't regret it...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ Well said. Go for Stoke, TLT vertical and consider the Zzeus or Titan boot.

Toured in the Zzeus lots and as Dynafit's Alpine option is is still light and you can use it for your normal Alpine set up too when you don't fancy touring!

Save the pennies....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, many thanks for the considered reply - various feedback indicates this is the way to go so will be heading down the diddlyfit route via Vertical STs

Boots are still up in the air - tried on some Scarpa Skookums and BD Primes for fit but found them both 'sloppy' around the heel. Hoping to try the Maestrale (slightly narrower last) when my usual ski shop get some in of the right size.

One point people I know talk about with the diddlyfits is that as the boot/binding interface is more solid, this transfers to a more direct transfer to the ski so a beefier boot set up may not be necessary to get the necessary difference in feel I'm looking for so be interested in experiences of others who have made the switch?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy