Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I need to find a new resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

After a bit of guidance please.
I am looking for new resort to try for our group ski in March 2011.
We have battered Ischgl for the last two years, which has ticked every box possible.
Varied and large skiing area, legendary apres, Very Happy and good accomodation.
I would like to try something simliar, but not in France, they're just........
Austria, Switzerland, Italy, all would be OK, they just need to be able to stand up to St Anton, Ischgl et al. TIA Mark Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitzbuhel and Davos should be considered
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zermatt
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mortington Crescent
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's wrong with French resorts? There's something in the Portes du Soleil for everyone, including Swiss resorts! Although that side isn't as good.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt, Verbier would both tick your skiing and apres ski box's
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St Anton or Saalbach
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Callai, no lederhosen, oompah bands or DJ Oetzi of course!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Solden
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Verbier.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Soll - or the Skiwelt
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
deerman wrote:
Soll - or the Skiwelt

Probably be slushy in these resorts in March though Puzzled
Ski Amade region maybe?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
Callai, no lederhosen, oompah bands or DJ Oetzi of course!

tfft.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John, surely you need to go first via Visp before Mornington Crescent?
snow conditions
Why not wait 'til April and do the Snowbombing festival in Mayerhofen. Awesome week. I think Austrian Apres does take some beating. I've been to Soll, St Anton, Ischgl, Kitzbuhel (the week leading up to the Hahnenkamm is mental but it's the end of Jan) Zell am See and Kaprun. Ischgl and St Anton are the best.

I've heard good things about Solden and Verbier and been to Zermatt which is good but pricey! Spent a winter working in Barcelona two years back and drove to Andorra every weekend. If you can forget the ugly resort and not amazingly challenging terrain, there was a lot of fun to be had in Grand Valira and Pas de la Casa. As it is mainly considered a beginners resort, there were fresh tracks to be had for days and it's now quite a large linked area.

Deux Alps and Val D'Isere are the two best French resorts for apres. Don't rate Portes du Soleil.

and Mornington Crescent!...... Sorry, I Haven't a Clue what you are on about
snow conditions
twoodwar, I thought lift linked resorts were wild?

Oh well; Visp.
snow conditions
You'd struggle to better Ischgl & St Anton for the combination of great skiing area & apres. Solden is great for Apres and good skiing. Have you ruled out France on grounds of apres ? It removes some of the best skiing areas.
La Rosiere is almost in Italy. wink
ski holidays
Dr John Montreux
ski holidays
The girls just love wild apres bars, so Austria has tended to be favourite.
Whilst I agree the French have some of the best skiing going, the apres is a bit dull.
Don't get me wrong here, we ski hard from early til late, but I do enjoy an hour of riotus apres, diner and 8 hours of sleep, I am getting old Laughing
Going to Obergurgl with my wife at Christmas, which includes Solden, I think?
St Anton with the boys in January, so dont want to repeat in March.
Verbier seems the most popular at the moment, any other suggestions?
ski holidays
Exscape in Cas-vegas!!?

Only joking...................Kitzbuhel if the snow is right takes some beating, but like you for us its St Anton every time, Ischgl too well impressed................but watch the beer-monsters on the slopes after lunch, a drunken German guy, all Bogner'd up actually fell asleep on my back on a tow about 4pm, and fell over at the end when I casually shoved him off.......... Toofy Grin

Ever thought of staying in Lech and changing the balance but still having access to Arlberg/ Vorarlberg, often seen those bars by the bridge and thought it'd be a laugh to sample them! Or Willi's Pilstube in Stuben Evil or Very Mad

Re Obergurgl, also on our list but not been yet.

Verbier love the skiing, but too pretentious and stay around the valley in Nendaz and ski into 4 Vallees daily. Some good, but not riotous apres in Haute Nendaz.
latest report
Mayrhofen is a good combination of Apres and slopes from rememberance, however I found the apres a little too good and spent most of the new year week nursing a hangover.

Kitzbühel has already been mentioned but that's a really good resort.

Never been to St Anton or Ischgl so it's hard to compare with that. I would see why you would try to avoid the French resorts, the Austrian people are so much more friendlier, but on the other hand I've been to Austria 9 times, France once... And the best week I've had (in terms of skiing) was in in Morzine.

Therefore I wouldn't totally write off the French resorts, Morzine was a fairly vibrant town in February when I went, even if it was slightly large and more spread out that one would have hoped for. And ofcourse, staying in Morzine gives you access to the vast Portes du Soleil ski area.
ski holidays
I would think that Saalbach would tick a lot of the boxes. Just watch out for Fasching week, which I believe is 5th to 12th March??? Lech would be a very good option but would cost you a fair bit. Have done Oberlech as couples and with families and both occassions we managed to get to the Mooserwirt which the girls (and kids) loved. The apres ski in Lech is actually OK but no where near as good as St Anton or Ischgl
snow conditions
hemel hempsted!
ski holidays
twoodwar, Nendaz
latest report
Although not in the same league as Austria, Val D'Isere (Le Petit Danois and a few other bars) is the best French Apres I've experienced.

Verbier is OK but, again, nowhere near the levels of Austria. The Farinet has a live band and dancing on the tables (and bar) a la Austria but the Mont Fort is pretty dull IMHO.
snow report
Dr John, perhaps a new thread should be started for this game... perhaps we can call it Montgenèvre Crescent? Anyway... Alp d'Huez.
snow conditions
Dr John, Stevehaskew has a point, good game though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MarkL My group have skied and partied in the following Austrian resorts; Ischgl, St Anton, Kitzbuhel & Saalbach. We consider the apres to be almost as important as the skiing. You already know how good the apres is in Ischgl, well we consider St Anton to be just as good and Saalbach nearly as good. Kitzbuhel was a big disappointment on the apres front.
Don't expect much apres in Obergurgl for your Christmas visit. There are a few lively bars, but nothing on the scale of Ischgl.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy