Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloucester Dry Slope-info please.

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any 1st hand information on the Gloucester slope.No1 son has developed an interest in race training and this is,by far,our nearest slope.We are both members at Tamworth,however,they only seem to use the lower half of the slope there;which limits the run to around 6 gates.
Now,I'm not a fan of dry slopes.On the two occasions I skied them,I crashed out both times after hitting dry patches.Ski's stopped dead..........I didn't.......ouch Sad Obviously,these were the type that had to be watered;what's the situation at Gloucester?

You may sense that I'm not exactly keen on the idea Confused But Gloucester's web site suggests they have a healthy race scene,hence the question.

Any info much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowskisnow, They do have a good club. I'll be going there on the 14th so I'll let you know what the mat is like after that. You (and no 1 son) need to get used to dendix - takes a little while, but the rewards are worth it.... snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been meaning to go there for ages. It's usually really quiet at this time of year on a week night, but then that probably isn't relevant to the racing part. Maybe we should have a snowheads meet there sometime.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowskisnow, there are several ski clubs based at Gloucester - Gloucester Ski Club, Western Counties, Slalom Plus, Krazy Kids - and they all do racing. Of these Slalom Plus is the most serious race club, but I have a feeling they'd be looking for race experience first before you could get involved with that IYSWIM. There's a regular interclub summer race league every month May-Oct (1st one is 21st May this year) - you could go along to have a look at that and there'd be people around from all the clubs if you wanted to catch them all at once and compare before choosing. Not quite sure where you are, but if you're already using Tamworth presumably somewhere between there and Gloucester? In which case there's another option with the Midland Ski Club at Ackers in Birmingham (race training Tuesday and Friday nights).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okanagan,I'm south of Birmingham,close to both M42 & M5,so mid wayish.Actually,Ackers is the closest,but I had discounted it.This is based on others opinions,I've never been there(or Gloucester)Ackers was described to me in not so glowing terms Confused Have I been miss informed?You seem to have some knowledge of the race scene.Would be interested in your views.

As I said,No1 son wants to do race training.I would also be involved;but for me it would be less of a race thing,more of a sharpening of technique.Our dome membership is up this month;and we both feel a change of venue might be of benefit.Just got to overcome my hatred of piste a la plastique wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to gloucester a couple of times and i don't know about the race training but it's an ok slope, nice people (when i went, at least) and i think they have sprinklers, but don't quote me on that, my memory's really bad (and I'm still a teenager! Shocked ) Plastic isn't all that bad, you'll get used to it, it's better than not being able to ski at all! snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowskisnow, High Wycombe is of the M40....not sure if that's closer than Gloucester Puzzled
Quote:

Plastic isn't all that bad

With short carve skis and sprinklers it's fine ! Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowskisnow, I'm sure they have sprinklers at Gloucester. It's a nice slope (well, 2 actually), and good to race on. I don't know about the club though. Okanagan, 's advice sounds good to me.

I think that now you've begun to ski properly you'll have less trouble with Dendix. You have a lot more tools in your toolbox now than in December. I don't think James will have any problems at all with Dendix. He will need protection when race training though. If you want some hand guards let me know as I've still got a pair which are doing nothing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can wholeheartedly confirm that they do have sprinklers. Met some of the Gloucester ski club last year and they do seem a nice bunch with a wide range of ability and ages in the club - i'm sure they have a good social and competition scene and often have trips to Europe.

It's the only dry slope i've skied so can't compare to others, but like crazy_skier_jules says, it's better than not being able to ski at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Okanagan wrote:
snowskisnow, there are several ski clubs based at Gloucester - Gloucester Ski Club, Western Counties, Slalom Plus, Krazy Kids - and they all do racing. Of these Slalom Plus is the most serious race club, but I have a feeling they'd be looking for race experience first before you could get involved with that IYSWIM.

There was a small Slalom Plus team - three or four children/juniors - at the British Championships in Meribel in April. Some of their skiers may have been in Flaine for the British Schoolgirls, or Les Menuires for the British School Boys, earlier in the season. I would say that with a bit of practice James would be right up there in the Giant Slalom (compared to the standard of all but one of the boys in the SP team at Méribel), but it will take longer in the more technical Special Slalom - and bear in mind this is something racers spend a lot of time doing on plastic, due to length of slope etc.

Check out http://www.slalomplus.org/ - according to their site they train Thursday and Sunday evenings....

Is James a '91? If so, next year he will be in the Children II, year 2 category.

Alternatively he could join a purely dry slope club, and have a second club (eg the DHO) for snow skiing. Hannou represents the DHO for snow racing. On your licence both dry slope and snow clubs are named, in that case.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowskisnow wrote:
As I said,No1 son wants to do race training. I would also be involved;but for me it would be less of a race thing,more of a sharpening of technique. Our dome membership is up this month;and we both feel a change of venue might be of benefit.Just got to overcome my hatred of piste a la plastique wink

Why don't you come along and try one of the Midland Ski Club Tuesday night sessions at the Ackers? There's no obligation to join before trying it out for one session, and there are adult development groups running alongside the race training sessions, which would probably provide for both you and your son at the same time. If you son takes to it, then the club pays the entry fees for the Gloucester race league which soon outweighs the membership cost. You'll probably find several snowheads in residence - myself, RobW, Jane L - and possibly a few others who haven't identified themselves!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okanagan, And as I mentioned above, this wouldn't preclude joining a snow club in order to race on snow in the Alps as well, if wished. However a word of warning - the training and race camps in the mountains don't come cheap!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone,fantastic response Smile Looks as if I've a busy few days.
Hopefully off to Gloucester,over the weekend,to check it out.With luck,there will be someone around from Slalomplus.

Okanagan.Will try to get along to the Ackers this coming Tuesday.If so,will PM you and hopefully we can meet up.Have had a look at the MSC web site.Looks interesting.Another snowHead meet in the making by the looks of it
snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowskisnow, I'll be back in the UK at the end of May for a couple of weeks. If you're going to Gloucester let me know - it's only about 40 miles from Bath. I could drag my sister along and we could meet up. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski,you're on Very Happy Will PM you in next few days.

Lunch is on me. Will I have to ask if they have a microwave? or will you bring your own wink
snow report
easiski, snowskisnow, Can I barge in on the 14th (of you're there) ?? It would be good to meet you - I'll be there all day doing a course setters course...
snow report
ski wrote:
Can I barge in on the 14th

Where Puzzled 99% certain of being at the Ackers this coming Tuesday night (10th)Do you mean 14th May? at Gloucester? If so,easiski won't be here till end of month;but good chance I could arrange to be there for a meet,chat and maybe ski?

Very good chance we will be back at Gloucester in first 2wks of June(when easiski will be here)No idea of a date as yet;but will do everything possible to be there Very Happy

This is all very strange.I'm actually starting to get excited about skiing on plastic Confused I must need therapy wink
latest report
snowskisnow, Oops - misread Easiski's post - I'll pm you shortly.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy