Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Since it snowed big-time last night, thought I might as well kick the thread off!

A solid 10cm+ at resort level yesterday evening/overnight. Heavy rain for much of the day yesterday as well, so probably even more snow higher up.

Sunny skies forecast for tomorrow. Torn between going up to Tignes or just getting the snowshoes/splitty out here and going up for a look.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 25-10-10 12:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
its looking very nice Very Happy when are they going to switch on the web cam at the top of the Grand Plan lift?

plus I see on the live cam that its still snowing hard now
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing lightly on and off for a few days now. Just back from the climbing wall in Tignes and there's major snowage on the roads - it was dumping up there, and is snowing pretty steadily here. Snow/rain limit around 1350m at 8:30pm. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Steve, 5 1/2 weeks to go before we arrive for 2weeks!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevomcd, good to hear. If you head up tomorrow remember the camera! Have a good season Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beautiful sunny day today. Blue skies and lots of snow to be seen around the valley. Not likely to get up the hill, but I might grab the chance to get out and take some snowy photos of the new chalets we're running this winter. [shameless plus]Still space for Christmas/New Year! [/shameless plug] Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevomcd, Hi Steve, Bryan Hogg here. I am going to be around a little more this year. Am trying to do less courses in resorts round the alps and stay closer to base in SF. I'll be in the valley from Dec 1st working in Tignes for a while. If I can help your clients out with any instruction (pre xmas week for example) let me know and I can pop up for a chat. See you on the hill, have a great season,all the best Bryan
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Stevo , nice to see this seasons thread up and running , looking forward to you preseason reports as the start approaches , did I spy the new snow cannons being tested this week ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, new snow cannons were tested at some point. Didn't actually notice it at the time, but there's now a big white patch in front of every cannon.

It poured with rain to high altitude yesterday BTW. Not so good! Mild and sunny today and tomorrow, then looks like turning cooler again.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steady snowfall over-night, down to well below resort level. About to head down to Bourg Saint Maurice, so will post up how low it goes!

All looking very wintery now!

This, and the further snow forecast over the next few days are entirely down to my decision to take one for the team and go to see my brother in London for the weekend... rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
10cm of fresh, fluffy powder on the road outside - it got ploughed this morning!

It's snowing all the way down to Bourg. Has been pretty steady all afternoon.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fantastic news , webcams look good this afternoon , looking at the mid term forecast it can't be long till your skins come out for the first tracks of season .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got back to Sainte Foy late last night after a long weekend away. Deep snow everywhere and snowing fairly steadily now!

Got to try to get up the hill in the next few days!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skinned up for the first time today after riding the lifts at Val d'Isere for opening day yesterday. Looking pretty good up the mountain, good cover everywhere. I'd say all the runs are skiable, a wee bit more on the steeper ones and some work with the groomer wouldn't hurt. Couple of photos (poor quality iPhone shots, sorry!):

Brevettes:

Looking over to the Marquise (and Mont Blanc):

Looking back down the valley:

Coming back down:
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevomcd, nice pics - looks a bit different from when myself and Colin were there snowHead
latest report
Stevo, do you know of any places that will do cheap transfers on a thursday from Chambery to either the village or station? I am heading out end of jan/beginning of feb for 4/5 days and can only find saturday transfers so far!
ski holidays
BiG_tYrOnE, I think you'll struggle. The transfer buses from Chambery only run at the weekend. Your best bet would be to get the airport shuttle into Chambery centre, then get the train to Bourg. From Bourg, either hitch or get the Tignes/Val bus to Sainte Foy town and then the free ski bus from there. Whew!
latest report
Sharkymark, bottom pic is taken just at the start of the Thin Red Line bike trail if you remember that! Does look a wee bit different! Middle two were taken at the highest point that we pedalled up to in Sainte Foy.
snow report
stevomcd, OK, second plan, do you (or anyone for that matter) know how old you have to be to hire a car in france? I'm 21, have had my lisence for 3 1/2 years and have never had a claim
ski holidays
BiG_tYrOnE, you should be OK at 21 - varies a bit between companies.
snow conditions
Thanks for the pics and report , so far looks like a repeat of last seasons start , tried to find the archive but looks like where at least a week ahead , fingers crossed for more of the same .
snow report
Hope not, start of last season was a disaster! (Ok, actually not too bad in Sainte Foy, but still not great!).

We are pretty close to 2 seasons ago though, which would be peachy!
ski holidays
2 words: Dump. Ing.

It is absolutely hosing down, haven't seen it this heavy for a while! Very Happy
latest report
stevomcd, Been snowing here in Essex as well for the past 36 hours, hoping for a break in the weather on the 19th to make the journey to Ste Foy a bit easier!
snow report
Up again today. Bloody fantastic! Climbed almost to the top, stopped just at the bottom of the Morion. Deep, light fresh all the way down!
snow report
stevomcd, One word PHOTOS
snow conditions
Solo today, no photos! Sorry!
ski holidays
I see that La Thuile had an avalanche, was it as close as the picture suggest in the article below??

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2010/12/07/avalanche-tout-pres-d-un-hameau-on-a-frole-le-drame?image=A0A7DD94-1346-4AF0-B2D3-A9EAB1D3F657#galery

thanks to davidof for the link
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You know, I haven't been down the road for a few days, so this is the first I've heard of this.

Going by the photos and what we can see from up here, I don't think there's anything anywhere near La Thuile. The slides are all on the opposite side of the valley - where there have indeed been some monsters. The Aiguille Rouge has slid full-depth over several BIG areas. La Gurraz (as mentioned in the link) is on that side of the valley, not the Sainte Foy/La Thuile side. There are no slopes like that above La Thuile, it's gentle(ish) farmland and thick forest, not open slopes. La Thuile does straggle on (just about) down to the valley floor - we sometimes ride bikes down that way and on over to Villaroger - so I guess that's where the "tout pres d'un hameau" bit comes from.

Big slides, no doubt, but somewhat sensational journalism to suggest there was the possibility of imminent multi-ton freezing death for the local inhabitants!
snow report
Cheeky wee bonus last night - 3 or 4cm of fresh that wasn't forecast!
snow report
Brilliant conditions for opening day - 25cm+ of fresh over the whole mountain. Pistes absolutely perfect, off-piste very, very good, but definitely got to pick your lines a little - cover wasn't fantastic before Friday's snowfall so there are definitely a few rocks out there and you're also hitting the rain crust underneath from a week or so ago.

No complaints though, great day!
ski holidays
Been snowing since 2am, great piste (unbashed!), not cold, no wind. Poor light top 1/3 of mountain. Forecast for another 2 days Smile

Not many people around.

Great.
latest report
Yeah, it was great today, got out for a couple of hours this afternoon. More snow forecast tomorrow then maybe sunny on Sunday, should be good!

Happy Christmas everyone!
snow conditions
I agree with the comments above the view from the balcony this morning is stunning.
latest report
Glad to see your all enjoying your 30cms or more of powder , I just have the pleasure of the webcams inbetween basting the turkey , jealous , not at all !!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Can't wait for my New Years eve return .

MERRY CHRISTMAS .
snow report
stevomcd, have a good Christmas Cool

Temperatures just went + in Helensburgh for the first time in a fair while and the rain is on! It's good to be back to normal,ish Laughing
snow conditions
Snowing AGAIN.... Could do with some sun to warm it up a bit. It's not cold, but not warm either!!!
snow report
Thought I'd drop a wee update - no significant snow since Christmas Day so pistes are becoming a little hard-packed, but still pretty decent. Great on the skis, less-so on the board! Off-piste is tracked out near the pistes, but there still plenty of fresh lines for those prepared to hike. Where you find it, the powder is still very, very good too.
snow conditions
Just did The Cross this afternoon. I can confirm the snow off-piste is still extremely awesome! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
stevomcd, I watched a skier put the first line down the gully below the cross on New Years Eve, was it you?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy