Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmont Endorphin ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
this is more of a confidence query/not quite buyers remorse...
so, last year I purchased the Gamont Endorphin boots and loved the comfort, wight and control I got with them on older dynastar 66's.
I had been using Rossi Power 90's - red, stiff as bricks and impossible to get out of.
so, this year at a "tent" sale - Volkl Tigershark's 12' for $400.00! - I jumped on them!
this goes back t omy having Raichle Flexon comp's and Volkl explosives in the 80's.
My kids think i am going for too much ski, and i am also questioning the Endorphins wiht the Tigersharks before I even get out there. Part of the concern to me is the declining support for AT boots in my local ski shop scene.
argh! any body got thoughts on why my head is doing this?
maybe not my pshycological problems rather, whether all I need is a little confidence boost
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gsmino, welcome to snowHead

What's the question?

If it's: can you drive a Tigershark 12 with the Endorphin? Then the answer is yes you can. Kind of. No way will you get the most out of those skis with those boots, but you can do it...

I presume there is a DIN compatible sole on your Endorphins?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes thanks,

I put on the alpine soles plates for the old Dynasatrs - I had been out of skiing for about 15 years - the kids went into hockey...

that was the jist of it, as at this age i am not really attacking anymore, more fast cruising.

and concerned for these Endorphins, light and comfortable, which was part of the reason for the change, I wanted something I could get out of once the boot had frozen, and in that way they work.

when I picked up the Tigersharks, the guys at the shop indicated - no problem.
however, thee boots feel great, truly not as stiff as anything I have had in the past, and yes, will the skiis be too much for them?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gsmino, then I wouldn't really worry yourself too much. Try it and find out, I suspect you will decide that it's not a great match.

Where do you ski? Up at Collingwood?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well, yes a true Ontario-ari-ari-o-er, Collingwood, Sir Sams, Moonstone mt st louis...will probably go to Quebec/Tremblant this year, planning on Kimberley to stay at a friends in two years, maybe Ellicotville, mostly a weekend guy...

(is this more of a European message board? I see a lot of UK postings?)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gsmino wrote:

(is this more of a European message board? I see a lot of UK postings?)

Yup but we quite like Canadians and even parlor is trying to become one.

I know a few people who ski Endos as their main boot and get on OK. I'd guess if you were lardy or a racer you might find it sub optimal but for most skiers I think stiff boots are overrated.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gsmino, I've never skied in Onterrible Wink I spent last summer in the T.O. Clearly I wasn't going to spend a winter there! I'm putting the Brit back in British Columbia. And yes, mainly Euro carvers on this board, friendly bunch mind. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
is a lardy like lady --- like girlee???
Onterrible - ouch! that hurts - but you know, we are the centre of the unuverse here in T.O. and my navel can't copmpare. until I went travelling, and then, you find out how non-"international" T.O. really is.

hover around 200lb, 5' 11 3/4"
black diamond readily capable, but lately it has been optimum speed down the blues, at 53 I consider myself a smooth expert type of skier...the knees are going... the only thing i really stay out of are the glades in our area, although I hear that real glades where there is real snow (out west) is something completely different as there is this pow thing

thanks, really.

if i were to look for comfort to get out of - any thoughts? the Full Tilts did not want to fit quite right - the fischers seemed good, and i did not try any other AT boots at MEC.

cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gsmino, you might need a dictionary round here, lardy is a fat person (lard being pig fat). I like the idea that the Tdot is the 'center of the universe', all the hippies on the west coast think so!

I'd relax with your gear a little, it sounds like the boots will suit you it's the skis that might be a little powerful for them. Try it out and see for yourself.

As for alternative boots it's ALL about the fit. A good boot fitter is key... a friend of mine works at The Sign of the Skier, he'll get you in the right pair but it won't be cheap.

Maybe go sharpen your axe or check your maple tress for a while, winter is close and your gear will sort itself out! Did you buy them at the Gear Swap? I went last year, impressive range of stuff...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor, you are kind, i understand that while i might be chopping some maple and oak for firewood, the coast is about to chop harvest and cure its own west coast brand of canadian maple

but seriously, it was at the Skiis and Biikes tent sale in September in Mississauga, I went to see if there was a deal on Dynastar Course 4x4 or something fairly high end recreational like that. we got there as they were setting up, but if there was something you liked - people were just grabbing what they wanted and waiting for the cash to open. I think everybody htere were regular customers anyways. I was checking out the ski rcks, and there was pretty much what they had at the spring end of season sale.
then they guys brought out the Tigersharks for $400.00. (they are 12ft from 08/09, the unmounted bindings were new in the box - and no real change except cosmetic and the switch got rounded a bit to go to the 09/10's) turns out Volkl had a few pair in the warehouse that were not moving too quickly and they had this oppurtunity to score brownie points (or just move the dang things). so, $400.00 was a "give those things and i am out-o-here!!! (the cousre 4x4's were $689? which to me was not enough of a bargoon for me, as I am not putting in weeks of skiing in huge resorts, but i still want someting responsive and not too noodley like the old Dura-fibre i had in the 80's...

strangely, the first things going out of the sale (7:30 a.m.) were the twin tips and snowboards, I seemed to be one of the few looking to score some normal boards.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sign of the Skier is a great shop. I am in the west end, I was looking at the Full tilts there last year and they are so careful to not hurry you if you do want to try on boots - I got the endorphins fitted at MEC over the course of about 2 hours with full heat treatment and the "magic" 2x4 on the floor under the toe of the boot along with the great story of the Intuition liner dude from out west that pretty much was about to lose it all with his boot fitting and liner that has been so emulated (as in the garmont fitting I had done)
I bought my Raichle's at The Sign when the Salomon rep was there flogging sx90/91's and they were the worst fitting boot had ever stuck my foot into.
if you think he would give me some advice t omaybe prepare for the next year down the road, as i should give these a chance i would apprecate that. I have probably spoken to him over the last couple of years as the gear the family is moving through has been quite something
thanks in advance, it would be a good palce t oget some additional support and a perspective on what i have put together, trying to save some bucks. wo, i think you are saying, i should have taken some more time on this and not just bought the bestest deal
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gsmino wrote:
parlor, you are kind, i understand that while i might be chopping some maple and oak for firewood, the coast is about to chop harvest and cure its own west coast brand of canadian maple

Very true, I'm on the North Shore so not so many grow ops here, but plenty around.

gsmino wrote:
strangely, the first things going out of the sale (7:30 a.m.) were the twin tips and snowboards, I seemed to be one of the few looking to score some normal boards.

Weird, I would have though holding a good edge would be pretty important in your neck of the woods.

gsmino wrote:
i think you are saying, i should have taken some more time on this and not just bought the bestest deal

I have two favourite sayings about gear:

Buy cheap, buy twice.

and

Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

I'm not saying you are wrong with your gear selection, IME boots are the most important part of the selection - where and how are you going to ski? what types of ski are you going to ski? and then the best fitting solution.

Ski your setup and see how it goes. Tweaking is even more fun than the pre-game discussions! Having said that, trawl Craigs List on a daily basis, I'm sure you'll find some other bargain solutions that you shouldn't be without!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor,
My boots are Garmont Endorphins. I like them and i'm a pretty agressive skier but don't really like super stiff boots.
Guess I'll have to stick to doing my 25 mile cycle commute in order to keep up with you and your dynafit setup wink Hopefully going down to 24.5 miles soon as we found somewhere to buy near Deep Cove. Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stuarth, do you reckon you could ski something like the the Tigershark 12s in them? I've never even tried them on!

Congratulations to you and Gemma! You might want to add a couple of extra miles to your commute and excuse those donuts!

PS. We do Ks here Wink
PPS. Don't worry, I'm sure you're going to keep up...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth, i see that you have the real snow out there, what are you skiing on - did you have the Endorphins prior to getting the skis?

you guys sound like you might moderate the stuffwhitepeoplelike.com blog - especially the techinical clothing to work one - Arcteryx rules!

ummmm, so are you actually into the telemarking skiing or the regular downhilling
ski holidays
gsmino, haha the stuffwhitepeoplelike blog is pretty funny!

I took up telemarking a number of years ago when I prolapsed two discs in my lower spine. The docs said I wouldn't ski again. Tele'd for a season and a half - with no alpine Sad I got really in to it and could ski most stuff I can ski in normal gear - just not as fast... Eventually I got back to full strength and went back to alpine full time. I did half a day on teles last year, and maybe three or four days the year before that. I know I'll get back in to it in another 10 years or so when my body can't take the full time pounding - or I if I have kids and need to slow down for them, whichever comes sooner Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy