Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Malta - any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a couple of weeks in Malta in July (no, it's not for skiing) - a few days in St Julians Bay and a week in the south of the island. Anyone been there/done that? Any tips for places to go, things to see, restaurants to try, or for that matter, places to avoid like the plague?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/m1TnzCiUSI0
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyph, do you dive or climb? If so there's lots to do.

Blue Grotto, great place to avoid the mid day sun also the restaurant / bar in the car park is one of the best on the island (or at least it was a couple of years ago). Get a bit of history in Valletta. Trip to Gozo can be quite good. I would recommend hiring a car but be aware many of the back roads are even worse than the ones in Luton Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Er, thanks, Hells Bells. Very Happy

Don't do either anarchicsaltire, but the Blue Grotto looks interesting and we're staying in the south-west part of the island so it should be easy to get to. Must admit I'd only heard of the one in Capri. Seems like there's an amazing amount of archeology for such a small and remote island. If you like archeology...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spent a few weeks touring Malta and Gozo a few years ago. Will post a proper reply tomorrow, am off to bed now!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andyph wrote:
If you like archeology...

I've heard some of it's even as old as you. Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyph,

It all depends what you want from a holiday in Malta. As you are going in July I presume you want a sun and sea holiday.

Where are you staying in St. Julians? This area has plenty of nightlife from restaurants to the wild night clubs of Paceville. It is a busy area popluar with locals and foreigners alike. There is only one sandy bay in the area - St Georges - and that is man made. There are rocky bays which are great to swim from - no pesky sand to get in places where it shouldn't get to wink

You could try to get tourist membership to Neptunes water polo club - a brilliant swimming pool and a good bar with decent food & sun loungers etc.

If you love seafood go to Barracuda - but book first!

The south of the Island is not where I have spent much time - again rocky beaches at Marsascala, St Peter's pool. Lovely fishing village of Marsaslokk.

However most sandy bays are in the north of the Island. If you hire a car it is not too far Malta is not a big Island.

My absolute favourite is Gozo. A wonderful Island, rural and laid back. It is quiet, no wild nighlife but plenty of restaurants, great swimming and stunning scuba diving.

You will either love or hate Malta. It is a busy bustling island but it has a unique character
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Midd you the skiing is cr@p there!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was there last week for ABTA convention and stay in St Julian's area. Stayed at Hilton which was ok but that kind of hotel which could have been anywhere - superb pool area though.

Very good restaurant where I ate in that area is Pepino (at bottom of road that goes down from Hilton) but not cheapest - get a table on top floor as view is great - would advise to book as it gets busy. Good value eatery is La Cascata where they have different type of food (there is some kind of theme park there - walking up from Pepino continue straight ahead alongsite building site which you keep on your left). There was a great value italian on the right at the top of the steps where Lorenzo restaurant is (not bad and nice setting); place looks a bit like a canteen but very good value.
Barracuda is probably one of the best settings you can get in the area but I was put off by the high prices.

Can confirm that no skiing in Gozo but definitely a nice place to visit.
Valetta, three cities are probably most visited tourist sites but definitely worth a visit.
Avoid clubs in area above St Julian unless you are a 15 year old...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's been a few years since I've been to Malta but as I remember if you want some night life but not the techno sounds/music you get at St Julian's and Paceville you should try Bugiba or Sliema. There are a few decent restaurants leading to the sea front where you can watch the world go by or drop into one of the numerous bars. The best restaurant I found was in Mdina, I don't recall the name but it was down an alley on the left almost immediately inside the main gate, looking at google maps I think it's in Triq Inguanez.
Car hire is cheap but not as cheap as the buses, taxis are expensive but quite an adventure. After a birthday party a friend felt ill in a taxi, when we asked if he wanted to stop he said it was OK, if needed he'd be sick through the hole in the floor.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you fancy a stay in gozo vist my dads place www.bedandbreakfastgozo.com...Far nicer, less commercial and relaxing!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Take the ferry to Gozo. Get the open top bus from the port and tour Gozo. After the tour have a boozy lunch my favourite restaurant http://tmunmgarr.com/.

Pete
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Top tip - dont go. Malta is a dusty dump.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Top tip - dont go. Malta is a dusty dump.

What a to$$er. What basis do you have for your remark?

I've been ao Malta / Gozo probably 20 times. Malta is a fairly densely populated and there is some industry but there are a lot of historic and beautiful places. Gozo is particularly unspoilt. the poeple are also particularly welcoming and there are some excellent restaurants to be found.

Pete
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all. All good input, confirming and expanding on what we've already heard. Actually the mrs and I first met at a conference in Malta but neither of us escaped to see any of the island. Looking forward to it. Toofy Grin

Jealousy is an ugly emotion, Frosty the Snowman. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy