Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - really expensive to eat/drink??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Now considering Chamonix for March as cost wise its coming out quite cheap for flights to Geneve, transfers and to rent an appartment for 4 of us.

BUT is it really expensive when we get there to eat and drink out? We are all early 40s so like to eat out and go to a bar for a few late drinks and maybe a few early ones stright from the slopes Razz We wouldn't be looking for fine dining so are there cheaper options if you want them and know where to look?

Have been to Morzine the last 2 years and Chatel the year before so are used to those resort prices.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah there was a bit of a discussion about this a while back!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1595370

I wouldn't let the price of bars put you off. Obviously the pound could do with putting on a bit of weight, but I reckon there are plenty of fun places in Chamonix that are not that expensive...

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

You needn't break the bank if you know where to look. Happy hours can be found in the Cham sud end of town at the Monkey Bar, The Munster and The Jekyll. All have early evening offers and many continue with other promotions as the evening progresses. Chambre Neuf near the gare SNCF is always busy for apres piste too.

In terms of food, of course there are many fine restaurants, but you'll find take away pizza and burgers etc. both in the centre and Cham sud (and probably the otherside but we're not so familar with it).

In terms of reasonably priced restaurants with good food, check out Alan Peru on Avenue Aiguille du Midi, http://alanperuchamonix.com/, good fusion food.

Enjoy your trip
snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
George06, it's not any more expensive than any other French resort (or indeed, city). You just need to pick and choose. Like anywhere else, there are rip offs to be had.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found Chamonix to be the most over-priced and over-rated resort I've ever been to.

Most mountain restaurants charging 9 euros for a 500ml beer and nearly 20 Euros for a Spag Bol, where as you could be in a top/trendy Austrian/Swiss resort (say Ischgl or Zermatt) and pay half that.

Restaurants and bars in the town were less expensive, but you still felt exploited every time you ordered a drink. Sure you can shop around and try and find a happy hour or the odd 'cheap' bar, but do you want to spend your ski holiday scouting around for places where you only feel slightly ripped off.

I really don't see the attraction of the place. It has a collection of small fragmented ski areas connected by a poor bus-service, has dated lift infrastructure, and a complete lack alpine charm. Despite having Europe's second highest lift, there's no pistes that come off that lift, the most pistes aren't that high, and the ground beneath them rocky, so the coverage isn't always great and the piste maintenance leaves something to be desired. It does offer what is arguably some of Europe's best off-piste but 95% of the people that head there never use it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kamikaze, if you allow yourself to be ripped off, who's fault is that?

In town, drinks no more expensive than, say, Morzine or Samoens. Restaurants likewise.

Your single example of ridiculous pricing is, I expect, based on the cost in the Restaurant 2000 at Brevent. Even the CMB restaurants are reasonably priced (if basic) e.g. @Plan Joran - Panini, 25cl, beer, choc bar, €8.90). You don't ski Cham for the on mountain fine dining anyway.

Brevent-Flegere is not "small". Grands Montets is not "small". Infrastructure hardly "dated" (for a start, it's not legal to have lifts over a certain age, etc.) Skiing is almost all above 1,900, which is why the snow's not on alpine meadows. "2nd highest lift but no piste" - are you mad? Have you any idea what you're on about?

You ski Chamonix because it has possibly the best lift served off piste in Europe. End of story. Even comfortable "intermediates" can handle the Vallee Blanche, one of the alps great excursions. If you're not good enough to handle that, well it sort of really doesn't matter where you ski, maybe more chocolate stops are an advantage.

Badly advised and bad advice given by you I'd have to say.

(Yes, I am biased, I run a business there but have 100% evidence of 5 years guests (maybe 800 people by now?) who have all, unreservedly, loved the place.)

Reasonable eats in town:

- Boccalatte
- Lapin Agile (excellent home made pastas)
- MBC (microbrewery)
- Casa Valeria (pizza)
- Bartavel
- Alan Peru (Asian Fusion)
- Bistro des Sports (very, very French)
- Chambre Neuf
- Elevation 1904
- Petit Kitchen

Avoid however, Taverne du Chamounix.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 24-10-10 11:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kamikaze wrote:
I really don't see the attraction of the place. It has a collection of small fragmented ski areas connected by a poor bus-service, has dated lift infrastructure, and a complete lack alpine charm. Despite having Europe's second highest lift, there's no pistes that come off that lift, the most pistes aren't that high, and the ground beneath them rocky, so the coverage isn't always great and the piste maintenance leaves something to be desired. It does offer what is arguably some of Europe's best off-piste but 95% of the people that head there never use it.

Not just me then....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, hmmm, you are remarkably well informed for someone who's never stayed there. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamonix isn't everybody's cup of tea. There are some resorts which offer a kind of bland all over product - neatly packaged, maximum convenience. And some which don't. Depends what you're after. In terms of prices, on and off the mountain, obviously some resorts (including Chamonix, Megeve, Courchevel 1850) have some very good and very expensive restaurants which you wouldn't want to wander into in ignorance. Some of the big ski factory resorts have mostly restaurants which charge a lot of money for very ordinary food (pizza and a beer). I would have thought that anyone who felt "ripped off" in the run of the mill Chamonix places would feel at least as ripped off anywhere in the 3 Valleys and the Espace Killy, which is what some people who've never been anywhere else insist on calling "France". A bit like having a meal in Watford Gap services and saying "Britain is a rip off".

Chamonix is a resort on which you do need to do some research. There's no excuse for turning up there thinking you can cruise around all week on a series of differently-named (if actually somewhat similar) pistes without ever having to get on a bus, or into a car, and that all the terrain is within the grasp of the average holiday skier.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kamikaze wrote:

Chamonix in "not Austrian meadow skipping" shocker. Horses, courses etc
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And I would go so far as to say that Chamonix is not a resort. Rather, it is an Alpine town with access to fantastic skiing and mountaineering (and mountain biking in the summer).

I keep returning to Chamonix because I love the place and find it no more expensive than the handful of ski resorts I have been to. The mountain restaurants can, however, do with some improvement to the food quality to make it worth the price (if you like to stop for a restaurant lunch on the mountain).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamonix can be an expensive place to eat if you have not eaten in a Swiss resort on the other side of the border. It is a dump if you compare with Zermatt, St Moritz, Aspen....

It is no more expensive than any French resort and being a major thoroughfare to Switzerland and Italy instead of trapped at the dead end of a valley there are many cheap places to have dinner. Most truck drivers can't afford expensive dinners enjoyed by the average skiers here.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

It is a dump

Yeah, really horrible

rolling eyes Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, even we will confess that we typically take sandwiches, unless we're having a blow out at the Bergerie (or have remembered to reserve at the Bistro at the bottom of the Aiguillete drag (I can't recall the name) at Le Tour, which is charming and good v.f.m.

But that's on the mountain, when we're skiing CHX as opposed to, say, Les Houches, we're not generally going up the hill for lunch, we're going up to ski.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, agreed. We very seldom stop for a restaurant lunch - whether in Chamonix or not - because we prefer to be able to eat when and where we want. Nothing like finding a quiet spot away from the pistes and crowds where you can picnic with a stunning view Cool I eat in restaurants in London all the time. When I go skiing, I'm there for the mountains.
ski holidays
under a new name, Zero-G, SSSShhhhh, don't defend the 'DUMP' love Stig. XX
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you're right, I deserve a slap. I'll shuffle off now.... wink
ski holidays
Simply put, Chamonix is not like any ski resort in the world. As already stated it is a town based in the alps with several huge mountains all of which have a lift to serve them. Overtime, the town of Chamonix has opted to make pistes on them, therefore alowing the public to experience Chamonix on Skis. The food up there is an after thought, and perhaps is best tackled by taking a picnic, however, if the weather shits out, then yes will will have to go to an alpine resturant, which in my opinion are all shite the world over.
A a town, any town there are all the modern day amienaties you'll need, from MacDo to Michelin Stared resturants. There are many bars, ones to suit every budget, half of the fun will be finding them, meeting new people and exploring a little, hopefully something you enjoy as Chamonix epitemises 'Explore' in all senses of the word. Value is a word that is very personal to each person, therfore suggest that you take time to scan the net and ask around when you arrive. I hate so much about Chamonix, however the parts I love and enjoy mean i don't have to deal with it, good resturants, good bars, stacks of choice. I would suggest that you buy a Privalage Card on arrival and maybe plan your entertainment around it. 10euros gets you good discounts on all things in tow, ski rental, food, drink etc. You'll get the cash back within a day if you stick to it, try that.
snow report
Like SZK says its not like anywhere else.

This is the small resort of Grand Montets, no door to door, no manicured pistes, dangerous glaciers, non existent fine dining, plus it's cold- keep well away, especially on powder days. wink
ski holidays
jbob, my love for that mountain is surpassed only by my love for The Dru. Great pic, has the look of HDR. Is it?
snow conditions
Zero-G Just for you. Taken about two weeks ago, on a lift served (Aiguille du Midi and Montenvers) very easy walk for OAPs along the Grand Balcon du Sud.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
bertie bassett, hmmm, you are remarkably well informed for someone who's never stayed there. Twisted Evil

Went once, stayed for a week, didn't like the place, not going back...
snow report
pam w, beautiful!

The Dru at sunrise

I took this one at sunrise during my first trip to Chamonix.
A guide I was skiing with has climbed it a few times. When I'm ready, I'll climb it too. He said it only takes 14 hours from the hut to the summit Shocked
ski holidays
bertie bassett, no...let's be strictly accurate about that: you haven't actually stayed in Chamonix. By your admission you stayed in Les Houches. Not the same thing at all.

I couldn't understand what you were talking about when you posted your first review, that's because it was for an entirely different place. rolling eyes

Our apartments are a two minute walk from the Brevent - just about as ski in and ski out as you can get, without actually being able to ski to your door. Who needs buses? Most of our clients ski Brevent Flegere all week.

Zero-G, I'm just reading Mario Colonel's history of the Compagnie des Guides. Fascinating - and brilliant old pictures. The first ascent of the Dru was quite controversial. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Zero-G, Yes.

Here is the beginners area of Le Tour.

It's rubbish, you won't like it, the best place to eat is the railway station for goodness sake.
ski holidays
Oh, I didn't know there was controversy surrounding the first ascent. But a quick google shows Wikipedia claiming the first ascent by British alpinists and the chamonix.net site claiming the first ascent by the French. I'll look for that book.
snow report
Fantastic photos. I LOVE Chamonix. Very Happy
ski holidays
On a serious note, but i bet i get slated for this, but who cares who dares who wins rolling eyes

We have done the bigger French resorts and yes they have loads of great skiing, BUT

Your lift pass is more
Eating/Drinking is more
Accomodation is more
Queuing is more.

Smaller French resorts

Lift pass less
Eating/Drinking less
accomodation less
Queuing less.

Somewhere like La Touissuire is the 4th biggest ski area dans La France and is a lot cheaper than Le Trois Vallee or Tignes ect ect ect.

Light blue touchpaper and foxtrot oscar toute de suite Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zero-G, Colonel runs one opf the photo shops. I'll try and post the outline controversy! It'll be Tuesday before I can tho.
snow report
Yes fantastic photos all Very Happy I've only visited in the summer but it's very much on my to-do list.
ski holidays
I wouldn't recommend eating in the mountain bars and some bars in town are expensive but having said that as a ski resort it is great. The mountains are great and the there's fun to be had in town. I really enjoy the burgers from "Poco Locos'??? on the main road through town and the steak and chip sandwiches from the kiosk a few doors further along are good value. 'Chambre Neuf' is good fun with a house band straight off the mountain and last winter there was a new pasta takeaway near to it. The 'Terrace Bar' has good happy hours and the Nachos are a big tasty portion.

Make use of 'happy hours' and its not too bad. I adjust my spending mindset by thinking "I'm in a world class resort therefore it should cost a bit more". Cham is tidy.
snow conditions
Must admit I wasn't over impressed with the skiing and connectivity when we had our first week out there and wondered what all the fuss was about.

But after trying a few more resorts, it was Chamonix we chose to come back to. We liked it so much we even bought a place there.

Pack your sarnies and self cater if food prices are that big an issue, and enjoy the scenery!

Some fantastic phots above, thanks guys.
snow conditions
Cham has some good and bad points. Some of the infrasturcture is a little tired at Brevent, Flegere and Argentiere where the queues in the morning can be huge, but once up the mountain this is soon forgotten. When I was there last, a couple of summers ago on the M/B, they were installing a new system at Flegere I think, how is that by the way? Grand Montet and Valle Blanche are awesome (except for the ascent up the hill on foot at the end) Le tour is great for larking about and piste cruising if you're with your wife etc, the run down the back through the trees is spectacular. Been to Cham 6 times now and the last time stayed in a catered chalet run by a guy called Nigel who guided some of us for the day, it opened up a whole new world of possibilities, so get a guide if you're going you won't be disapointed.
Is it expensive, cannot be worse than Val, which is eyewatering, 4 beers, 4 pizzas over £100, ouch!
Getting the buses every day is a pain unless you have transport with you or is provided by your accomodtion provider. It doesn't have that resort feel like St Anton nor the apres scene like Ischgl.
People come from all over the globe to ski Cham and it's challenges, probably not the case for other resorts, however I would travel a distance to watch the gingham girls at the Madeline in Ischgl Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

larking about and piste cruising if you're with your wife etc

Laughing
not a place to take your mistress then?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

larking about and piste cruising if you're with your wife etc

Laughing
not a place to take your mistress then?

That's for another week Laughing
latest report
Yep, the new lift at Brevent is installend and up and running and speeds things up no end. Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy