Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

INSTRUCTOR RATIO

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know the legal ratio for

a) instructing
b) supervision of large groups (not instructing but free skiing)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

legal

Puzzled legal where?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anywhere

If a ski instructor had 20 in the group would it be deemed too many?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apparently not in France, if they're under 8 years old.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1969jma, It depends on local regulations and that changes from valley to valley, region to region, etc.

10 is often the max, but apparently there is no connection with Instructors needing to count using fingers and thumbs wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1969jma, if my 48 mates and I were out on the mountain and I had been put in charge of where we all went, I don't think anyone would declare it illegal. What do you have in mind?

As for legal numbers of children, I've seen kids from local schools out on their sports lessons, with what looks like one teacher. Why would that be any less "legal" than 1 teacher and 36 kids playing footie? There's probably (in the English context) some judge made law about what might be reasonable in outdoor education terms; haven't the foggiest about France.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was in Grand Hirafu (Japan) in February and saw 29 in a beginners class Shocked ..all with numbered tabards! Very Japaneese and very very funny! Laughing Laughing :lol
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know of some resorts in france where the legal insured limit is 24 and quite often during half term you will see it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:

As for legal numbers of children, I've seen kids from local schools out on their sports lessons, with what looks like one teacher. Why would that be any less "legal" than 1 teacher and 36 kids playing footie? There's probably (in the English context) some judge made law about what might be reasonable in outdoor education terms; haven't the foggiest about France.

very different environment!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

very different environment!

very different how? I'd be interested to know. when people talk about ski group sizes they might sometimes be talking "legal" but more likely about commercial considerations (maximum group sizes advertised by ski schools for example) or conditions imposed by insurance companies (e.g. professional liability insurance held by instructors or mountain guides). A completely separate set of considerations probably applies to a school which sends whole classes to ski every week during the winter. And a bloke out with his 38 mates is something else entirely.

That's why I asked what you had in mind. wink

French regulation of offshore sailing is much stricter than that in UK - completely different set up. In the UK any nincompoop with a lot of money can buy an expensive yacht and sail off into the blue without the slightest idea and without any safety equipment. Not so in France. But I don't know about what happens in the mountains - whether, for example, there is any "legal" reason why someone without much idea or the right equipment shouldn't set out to do a potentially dangerous walk or ski. (Again, whatever conditions are imposed by insurance are a different matter).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pretty sure its 13 in Austria, at least Tirol
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

pretty sure its 13 in Austria, at least Tirol

but who's that for? Ski instructors, school teachers, guys with their mates?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski instructing, possibly also cow hearding
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll bet they can handle a lot more than 13 cows. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What I gather in Austria is 12 per instructor normally but during peak season this can be extended to 15 per instructor.

Some ski schools however set their own lower limits, especially amongst beginner classes.
snow conditions
"...b) supervision of large groups (not instructing but free skiing)..."

How can there be any limit on that?
ski holidays
There's actually no legal requirement to even be a qualified instructor to teach skiing. All you would find is that your ski schools insurance may stipulate some requirements for qualifications or recommended group sizes but no ones going to report you to the police for instructing without a licence or instructing a group of say 30 people.

All you would question is the quality of instruction that you can receive on a personal basis in a large group.
snow report
Most local authorities say max ten kids to one teacher on school ski trips.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy