Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chair Lift Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm going skiing with my boyfriend over Christmas, he has skied once before in Andorra however refused to get on a chairlift so was limited to button lifts and the magic carpets on the nursery slopes. I've managed to get out of him that its the getting on/off chairlifts that worries him (not the being suspended in the air as I thought) so my question is... does anybody know of any dry slopes/ski centres in England that have chair lifts we could have a go on before our holiday?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you booked yet? Mottaret near Meribel can be skied without going on a chairlft.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the dry slope at Bracknell has a chairlift.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've booked to go to La Plagne with a group of friends. We chose La Plagne because it's so good for all abilities. Just worried if he can't get up the mountain he will sit in the chalet (or bar!) by himself all day and I'll feel guilty leaving him on his own. I'd really like him to go away with the confidence that he knows how to get on/off so think I'll ring Bracknell and find out if they have one, it's not too far from us either.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aims26, if he's worried about getting on and off chairlifts I think that trying one out on a dryslope is probably a more tricky test than most chairlifts that I've ridden on in the Alps. Is there a danger that you'll just put him off even more?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Aims26, I am in full agreement with rob@rar. When I started skiing I used to fall off the chair lifts, but you work through it and the snow helps, dryslopes will not. Have you had a look at the piste map to see what types of lifts are near you?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rob@rar, I've thought about that too. He's quite keen to go to Avon Ski Centre and practice his snowplough so I'm hoping if he gets used to the matting there, we could try Bracknell and the chair lift and then by the time he's on real snow it'll be a piece of cake (fingers crossed?!?) Luckily we met a couple in Andorra who had learnt to ski on dry slopes and they told him how much easier it is on real snow so that's reassuring him at the moment.

Bracknell has perma-snow, is that different to the usual dry slope matting?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would get a couple of strong mates to sit either side of him. Getting on is the easy bit - just wait for the chair to arrive and you are on. Once on, you have very little choice but to get off. Getting off, get the mates to "guide" him off the lift, making sure he doesn't fall the first couple of times. Once he's done it, he'll realise it really isn't all that.

Either that or just tell him to man up and get on with it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aims26, please see link below, it was the best size I could find. There are quite alot of chairs!!

http://www.ski-jungle.com/piste-maps/images/la-plagne-centre.jpg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aims26 wrote:
Luckily we met a couple in Andorra who had learnt to ski on dry slopes and they told him how much easier it is on real snow so that's reassuring him at the moment.

Not sure that I'd agree that skiing on plastic is easier than skiing on snow. I'd say the opposite. I've only once skied on Bracknell's perma-snow matting and my distant recollection is that it was very difficult to get an edge in, so my skis slithered around in a disconcerting fashion.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aims26, I had the same fear of chairlifts and went to Bracknell to practice. Snow is a lot easier than a dry slope, so keep telling him that Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, it would really help your argument if you read the post you are commenting on wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing

Mea culpa.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium wrote:
I would get a couple of strong mates to sit either side of him. Getting on is the easy bit - just wait for the chair to arrive and you are on. Once on, you have very little choice but to get off. Getting off, get the mates to "guide" him off the lift, making sure he doesn't fall the first couple of times. Once he's done it, he'll realise it really isn't all that.

Either that or just tell him to man up and get on with it.

Sorry I misread this , I thought he had a problem getting off !!! The chair comes up behing you, bend the knees, sit down. spend 5 minutes moaning about being cold/french/ cost of beer etc
then have a great ski down easy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
I think the dry slope at Bracknell has a chairlift.

Yup, but it isn't always running and they require you to be at a certain standard to use it.

As for the surface, as you say its slippery and hard to get an edge on but someone who is not yet carving will find its ok for pivot turns.
snow conditions
tiffin wrote:
As for the surface, as you say its slippery and hard to get an edge on but someone who is not yet carving will find its ok for pivot turns.

Yes, good point.
ski holidays
Tell him to stop being such a biatch about it, my 8yo daughter mounts and dismounts chair lifts on her snowboard which is way harder than on skis Wink
snow report
Aims26, Which part of La Plagne are you staying in? LP does have some draglifts and the the newer lifts are surprisingly easy to use, particularly the 8 seater chairlift at Bellecote Very Happy
ski holidays
We're staying in La Plagne 1800, I just want him to have the freedom of getting up on the mountain to meet us for lunch etc. I think some of the anxiety came from not having the confidence to get down the mountain once he's off the lift, but now he's nailed snowploughing he'll be ok on the greens and maybe some blues. Hopefully ski school will help too. If he doesn't want to do it there's no talking him round!!!

Thanks for all the advice! Very Happy
snow report
Aims26, 1800 has two chairlifts and a very good bus service connecting all the 'altitude' resorts. The Chairlift called 1800 is a beginners chairlift and is frequently used by the ski school children from Aime 2ooo and 1800. Your friend will have no trouble using I am sure.
1800 also has two beginners areas served by drag lifts to build up his confidence. The other lift is served by a moving carpet to align the skiers with the approaching chair, best not try this one in the first half of the week perhaps wink

Meanwhile have a play with this Very Happy
http://la-plagne.com/360/plagne_go/plagne.html?utm_source=360&utm_medium=visitevirtuelle&utm_campaign=360
snow report
Aims26, trade him in for a boyfriend who has man-sized balls Toofy Grin
snow report
Aims26, Scenes of how to get on and off a chairlift are in this video clip from 2:45 onwards:

http://youtube.com/v/85AHvpGTkdU

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I really appreciate that ski-lifts can be frightening for those fearful of heights. If you look around on the slopes there are quite a few people who shut there eyes, look worried and hug their partner.
A few years ago i spent a few days on the hill with a policeman who was determined to have a good time regardless of the fact he was in mortal terror every time he went on a lift. Poor guy c**p himself when the old lift up to maglovert in les arcs stopped for 10 mins.

Really think thease people are really brave.

But scared to get on and off the lift????

MTFU!
snow conditions
Aims26, Get yersen a nu-bloke . . . that un's a wus rolling eyes
ski holidays
If he can ski a button lift then he has to be able to ski away from the top of a chair. You only need to be able to stand up and ski 10 feet to do that. If it's getting on thats the problem pick one with a conveyer as they're usually easier/slower rather than an ancient 2man that'l hit him at mach1.
Can you just take him (via tow) to the top of a lift to watch people getting off, to show how easy it is. It was daunting the first time I went on one having never seen the dismount and only having a description to go on, whereas I'd watched the bottom so knew what to expect.

adrian
ski holidays
Aims26 wrote:
Rob@rar, I've thought about that too. He's quite keen to go to Avon Ski Centre and practice his snowplough so I'm hoping if he gets used to the matting there,

The slope at Avon is quite steep (for a dry slope) and more difficult to get down than many so be aware of that before going, the matting isn't that well maintained either, although I'm basing that comment on the situation a few years ago when I was last there.

Depending on whether you're in north or south Bristol it may be just as quick to head up to Gloucester dry ski slope, IMHO the main slope (that's the one on the right as you face both slopes) and lifts are easier to use than the ones at Avon but I'm saying that as someone who instructs there so make you own mind up whether or not I'm biased Smile
Quote:
we could try Bracknell and the chair lift and then by the time he's on real snow it'll be a piece of cake (fingers crossed?!?) Luckily we met a couple in Andorra who had learnt to ski on dry slopes and they told him how much easier it is on real snow so that's reassuring him at the moment.

Yeah, dry will tend to highlight any technical issues and can be more difficult than snow but you'll tend to slide slower (which can be nice if you're a very nervous skiier but can make turning harder too).
Quote:

I believe it's similar to Snowflex which we have at Gloucester in the fun park (area with jumps and rails at the top of the more challenging slope on the left, both main slopes are the usual Dendex matting). If it is similar then it's probably more pleasant to fall on in as far as it's padded and more like a carpet than the dendex (which has triangular holes and isn't padded) but if your skin makes contact with the small but very stiff plastic bristles they'll give you nasty little scratches. As for skiing the stuff imagine skiing ice where any over or under edging will land you on the floor, it's something like that, but probably okay if all you're doing is a wide snow plough, takes some getting used to though.

Give me a shout if you want any more info Smile

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 21-10-10 14:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Aims26, Scenes of how to get on and off a chairlift are in this video clip from 2:45 onwards:

http://youtube.com/v/85AHvpGTkdU

Madeye-Smiley

"It's just one ordeal after the other, isn't it?" Shocked

That video has just put me into fits of laughter. I adore their naivety and awe regarding the whole experience. "Oh gawwwwd". Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 21-10-10 19:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Thanks Roga, I thought the Gloucester Ski Centre wasn't open anymore so thanks for your help. We'll give that a go.

I think it's a mind over a matter thing really, and if skiing just isn't for him I won't be trading him in!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i always dive behind the couch when watching ski films when they show a shot of the dudes riding a chair with the arm-rest/safety bar/whatever you call it, not down. giving me the heebies just thinking about it. downloading too i hate. spoo

used to be part of ski-lessons anyway did it not - getting on and off lifts? If he's having lessons just front up about it and the instructor will sort him out,m ride up with him a time or two or whatever
snow conditions
Quote:

I adore their nativity

It's amazing what some people get up to on a ski slope.
ski holidays
I have to hold my hands up and say I haven't read all the posts but TBH..... if you are an adult male and that wet behind the ears stay at home and let your mates have a good holiday!
ski holidays
pam w, I hope it's just setting up little tableaux with donkeys and such. Actual live nativity on the piste could be a bit of a shock for the neonate.

That was excruciating. How can adults be so totally incompetent? Laughing Laughing Mind you, they all seemed to be having a larf.
latest report
Book him a private lesson for the first morning you are there, then the instructor can take him on a chair lift and get him down a run so he will have something he can do with some confidence.
snow report
flangesax wrote:
I have to hold my hands up and say I haven't read all the posts but TBH..... if you are an adult male and that wet behind the ears stay at home and let your mates have a good holiday!
Puzzled

Think you should read the first post at the very least! rolling eyes
snow report
roga wrote:
flangesax wrote:
Puzzled

Think you should read the first post at the very least! rolling eyes

Class Laughing Laughing flangesax Bet you're glad you put the disclaimer in first eh? wink Laughing
snow report
Aims26, The suggestion about letting the instructor take the strain is a good one. They must be used to dealing with this kind of fear and have ways of dealing with it but, more importantly, this way you won't get the blame if it all goes wrong. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Tell him to MTFU.

Have you considered how embaressing it is for you to have a boyfriend who is such a wimp?
Maybe you should GTFU and dump him!

For the best and most helpful advice I would suggest going to: http://tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3 and posting the question there.
latest report
rungsp, Nice post rolling eyes PMT Day? Toofy Grin
snow report
pam w, caught me. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Aims26, couple of YouTube vids that might be of help too (certainly more use than the link above ... which is funny but probably not the best thing to show to your boyfriend!):

How to Snow Ski: How to Get on a Ski Chair Lift

How to Snow Ski: How to Get Off a Ski Chair Lift

Oh and I'd ignore the odd 'joker' above making 'helpful' suggestions like MTFU etc. I haven't been fortunate enough to see them ski but I've rather been getting the impression recently that taking the p*ss out of newbies and beginners is a way some people make themselves feel better about their own skiing! As for the Teton Gravity forums (so 'usefully' linked to above); asking this sort of question over there would be the internet forum equivalent of jumping into a pool of hungry piranha shouting "dinner time" - simple advice being don't!

EDIT: Aims26, my comment about the Teton Gravity forums above was in response to Astraeus's original post, now edited (I guess in an attempt to quietly wriggle out of responsibility for suggesting you go there) - thanks to pam w for spotting that one!

Astraeus, frankly not very clever - and I'm referring to both the original comment and the 'sneaky' edit!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 21-10-10 21:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy