Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap resort for large group of families

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're planning to join with a few families to ski next February half term. Some of the group are on a tight budget, so we need to make it cheap.

There'll be 15-20 of us, and more than half of the group will be kids aged 2-10 (yes, if we're not crazy now, we will be at the end of the holiday!). We don't care about lessons - most of the kids ski well - and we don't need childcare: that's what parents are for. We don't need a huge ski area, but we do need some challenging on-piste terrain - the older kids will be gutted if there aren't any steep, icy moguls. And we need some skiing convenience: toddlers, long walks and skis are a really bad combination.

But most of all, we need it to be cheap, and in half term week that's challenging. I figure we can save money by not taking a package, driving, going self catering, and staying in a rabbit hutch in a lesser known resort. But which lesser-known resorts have cheap accommodation? Which ones offer free lift passes to kids up to 10? Which ones have sensibly priced supermarkets? And how do we get cheap equipment hire?

Anyone have any experiences?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could get some good deals by coach. I costed one up not so long ago and worked out at £410 pp for a catered chalet in La Rosiere for 15 but this was on our half term which is 19th Feb. I like catered chalet because theris enough work with kids without feeding, serving, cleaning, getting them changed and back out for a meal etc etc. Alternativley try Silver Ski for a deal on a group booking. They will do you a deal for early booking and then its up to you to fill the chalet. We costed one in La Plagne at £495 pp including Gatwick flights and tranfers. The way to get cheap on a chalet is to book one with lots of triple or quad rooms which often attract big kid discounts. Agin this was 19th Feb. Would also suggest Sunday as transfer day as this tends to be much quiter on the roads and gives you a quiet Saturday on the slopes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonny Jones, PG mentioned some sort of family hostel thing near him that was tremendously good value on another thread. Do a search or PM him but it sounded very good for a group of families that don't need childcare biut perhaps could benefit form some additional child friendly facilities.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The hostel PG posted about is located in Bourg St Maurice which isn't exactly convenient for skiing. There are quite a few French hostels in ski resorts but I would guess they would get booked up early, especially in peak holiday periods. Got to be worth an internet searcg though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We took a 15 mixed adult and kids group to Arc 1800 last feb half term staying at the mgm Les Alpages du Chantel with Erna Low,thought the appartments very resonable...booked our own flights with easyjet to Grenoble as soon as on sale and got cheap deal,then hired a couple of people carriers to take us from airport to resort (traffic bad near the resort being the only downside).

Skiing was excellent,had a mixed group of absolute beginners and good skiers and had no complaints from anyone
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just booked an apartment directly with the French owners in St Sorlin in Les Sybelles for next years half term. For an apartment sleeping 6 it costs 600€ plus ferry costing £38 return with Speedferries, total around £466. Crystal wanted £1300 for a smaller apartment for 2 adults plus child plus ferry, self drive. Even adding tolls, fuel and perhaps an overnight it works out very cheap. However I don't believe it's a challenging resort so may not fit your bill.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As matter of interest when are the half-terms next Feb....my kids are off sat 11th-18th,are these the same for all?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know that most of NE england is 20th, as is a lot of the SW England.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, my kids are off then too I think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
we went with Snowcoach to Valmeinier, where there was a big kids room, slept 6 (plenty of room) and everyone in that room got really good discounts, including free equipment hire. Also, because booked at the Ski Show, the whole group got free insurance too. Valloire/Valmeinier has a reasonable range of ski-ing, and the snowcoach place was very near the piste. The chalet hotel was basic, but good value. Lift passes reasonable too (compared, say, to Three Valleys) Did an early kids supper, which was excellent for the two youngest in our group. I agree with Frosty that the convenience of having meals prepared for you is very pleasant (and that place has entertainment like videos in the evening for kids, too, and kids like nothing so much as other kids to mess around with). But if you don't mind self catering, all the French resorts have websites which make booking accommodation yourself very easy. But watch out for things like whether linen is provided. Generally it won't be, and trogging round the resort hiring armfuls of linen doesn't make for a relaxed first evening. You'll also need to take it all back on the last day.

We have rented independently in several resorts (including Mottaret, Les Gets) and there can also be a bit of a wait to get hold of keys, as the offices will be busy at half term! Don't arrive before the time they tell you. A final "plus" for coach travel - you get more ski time (though that, in turns, mean buying more lift pass time). I had a kit bag with the kids ski gear packed separately, so that they could get out on the slopes straight away - we had to wait until later in the day to get into our rooms, having arrived at breakfast time.

In my experience kids absolutely hate long car journeys with their own families, but are not so bad on a coach, with their mates. Take rhino tranquilliser dart guns for the 2 year olds. If you are in "ski in/ski out" accommodation (good idea) cars can be a real pain in resort. Digging them out of snowdrifts is a bore, parking is difficult at half term, you could end up a long way from your accommodation, and covered parking is expensive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice so far, folks - there are quite a few avenues for me to follow up here.

One option I'm looking at is Oak Hall - a Christian outfit that offers skiing holidays at astonishingly low prices, £260-£300 per person at half term including all food. It's hard to beat prices like that even if you drive and book directly with the property owners.

I last used them in 1994. Does anyone have any more recent experience?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny Jones, I would definitely recommend "Renouveau" in Bourg St Maurice....

Mentioned it in this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=113728

Don't think I forgot much in the original discussion, other than the bus to the funicular is free.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonny Jones, Only just read this, and you may have sorted yourself out by now.

I went this year and last year with Oak Hall, and will probably go on one of their trips next year as well. I have only been on their Schladming trip, and have not done any of their coach-based trips. From your initial post, one drawback that you may have with them is that they have a lowest age limit of 7 for children and it looks like some of yours are younger than that.

An alternative that do cater for families (but don't offer creche facilities) is Gold Hill Holidays (also a Christian outfit). Their prices are comparable to Oak Hall (if not cheaper) but they quote fully inclusive prices (including ski hire, ski pass, lessons etc) so the prices look more expensive initially. It is definitely "budget" and while I appreciate anything which saves me money (well you have to when you're paying for 5) Mrs Z would have preferred a little more comfort. Would be happy to give more information if you need.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy