Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiVal vs Supertravel (for St Anton)

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been on a catered chalet holiday with these 2 operators (ideally to St Anton)?

I think Supertravel is a bit more upmarket so hopefully better chef/food. With SkiVal we have to pay for flights and transfers we won't use... But the SkiVal chalet looks really nice. Not much in it pricewise.

http://www.skival.co.uk/?chalet&chalets_id=49#

http://ski.supertravel.co.uk/stantonchalets/mooserwirt.aspx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Location-wise, the Ski Val chalet is better situated. The Chalet Mooserwirt is on the main road by the looks of things.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I stayed in SkiVal's place near the Nasserien lift a couple of years ago.

Chalet was overpriced and billed as luxury, it really wasn't

Food was poor.

Staff acted like you should be honoured that they dined with you, when infact he was a tool.

Don't want wine with your meal, you can have wine or water, any they will look at you as if you are a murderer if you dare to bring your own bottles of beer to drink.

I had a great holiday but had I gone with another operator I think I would have enjoyed it more.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. Good info.

boabski, I think it's the top floor apartment of a block nr the Lux Alpinae hotel. Is being on the main road an issue for noise/other?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

With SkiVal we have to pay for flights and transfers we won't use...

that's a shame; most of the operators do accommodation only, don't they?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had a great week with Ski Val in Val D'Isere at Chalet Hotel Chamois d'Or at foot of Face, and the year before at Isba in Courchevel 1850.
Both properties pretty basic - but marketed as such.
Great Locations, Great Staff, Great Food and excellent value.

I would certainly recommend them.

Not sure about Supertravel - upmarket image and prob out of my price range.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed in Val d'Isere with SKival a few seasons back. Ok, we didn't spend a great deal of money but the accomodation was basic. The staff were keen and a good laugh, but not grea tat their jobs - food was ok, cleanliness left a little to be desired. I'd go with them on a late deal but not necessarily full price
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Staff acted like you should be honoured that they dined with you, when infact he was a tool.

That's normal, I just do my best to ignore them

Quote:

Don't want wine with your meal, you can have wine or water, any they will look at you as if you are a murderer if you dare to bring your own bottles of beer to drink

A couple in the chalet last season decided they didn't like the compo wine and bought their own stuff. Everyone else thought they were insufferable snobs. Everyone else was right. The wine wasn't that bad, ffs. Quaff down the free stuff, as the French say, there's no such think as a bad second bottle of wine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH, It's a part of town we've never stayed in, and kinda put off more by the gradient of road rather than the busyness of it - would not say it's particulalry busy though but you do run the risk of getting grit thrown up all down your gear by the buses cars and lorries that drive past at a reasonable speed. If they run a free shuttl bus you would avoid the 'hassle' - should take 5 mins on foot into town but 35 coming back after the Mooserwirt wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John, this was before I actually started drinking wine, I enjoy it not but then I didn't. The first night I asked for something else I.e. Pop or squash as I know they didn't have any more booze, I was told I could have water or wine. So I walked to the shell garage so I had something instead of water to drink. Got the dirtiest looks as I placed my 4 pack of stigl on the table...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Quaff down the free stuff, as the French say

Not in my experience they don't. We regularly drink with quite a few French people and I'd say they all go for quality rather than quantity. We always look helplessly in our cave for a bottle of something good enough to take. We've given up now, and I always bring out some really nice biscuits and nibbly things from Waitrose and take those instead. when they come here we try to have a decent bottle available but they tend to go for the malt whisky, or a "geen toneek". We always feel rather dissolute quaffing back our half price Tesco Australian Shiraz!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Chalet was overpriced and billed as luxury, it really wasn't

That would be Ski Val in general, in my opinion. If there's not much difference in price I'd go with Supertravel.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, it was one of those "half price" deals but was still £700 pp for a week, I would have killed somebody if I'd paid the £1400 it was apparently worth
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. Probably going to go with the Supertravel chalet if they can find us some parking near the chalet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH, have you looked at Powder White? You can sort out your own travel and even opt to take the chalets on a self catering basis if you want to.

http://www.powderwhite.com/
ski holidays
Thanks juliad. I'd come across Powderwhite but all their chalets seem to be in Nasserein which I understand is less convenient for the better off piste skiing.
latest report
Powderwhite do have some (one?) chalet up the hill a little bit past Rendl (right next to the Skilehrerhaus and a few of the Scott Dunn chalets - 5 mins walk down into town, 10 back up, or there's a free bus stop 30 secs down the road) which is actually really nice, comfiest sofa's I've ever sat on! Stayed there for a week when I had to re-take the german written part of the anwarter as we got a brilliant last minute deal that was cheaper than flying home for the week. Only time I've ever stayed in a chalet, but I can't imagine it gets much better than that.

Btw, from Nasserein you can take the Nassereinbahn up, which takes you to the same place as the Gampen lift (2 min ski from there to the Zammermoosbahn which goes to a bit above Galzig), so getting to the goods isn't really much of an issue. It is a longer trek from most of the drinking spots though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 21-10-10 20:45; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Quote:

I'd come across Powderwhite but all their chalets seem to be in Nasserein which I understand is less convenient for the better off piste skiing.

True they are in Nasserein but with the bubble you've got the same access to off piste on that side as the Galzigbahn. It is further away from the Rendl lift though so you'd need to catch a ski bus or the Powder White mini bus if that is offered as a service from the chalet.

I just thought of them as a possibility worth suggesting considering the two options outlined above.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Thanks juliad. I'd come across Powderwhite but all their chalets seem to be in Nasserein which I understand is less convenient for the better off piste skiing.

What on earth would give you that idea? You have direct access to Kappal, and the off-piste from there. Alternatively, ski down from Gampen to Zammermoos and access Bachseite, the back-door to St Christoph...
ski holidays
I went with some friends with SkiVal to Val last season - found it very good, although it was one of the better chaletes (Sanville). Chalet boy asked us what we wanted when he went shopping, and coped with the Mrs' coeliac very well!

Friend now has his own chalet, so off there for xmas new year Very Happy
latest report
ulmerhutte, just looking at the piste map. Nasserein appears to only have direct access to Grampen while from the centre there is direct access to Grampen, Rendl or Galzig. Need to get to your target quick on a powder day!

Also, Zurs and St Christoph appear accessible from St Anton (with bus back from Zurs?). For Stuben and Lech is the easiest option to drive round?
latest report
BobinCH, IMO best to ski from St Anton to Stuben as you get to ski an awesome piste (past the appropriately named Ulmerhutte) - can't remember the name just now, but 7km of undulating heaven. For Lech you can either drive/get taxi from St A, or ski to Alpe Rauz (almost at Stuben) and get the free bus.
snow report
Quote:

Need to get to your target quick on a powder day!

yes entirely agree and very wise planning for St Anton wink I can now see the rationale behind your choice of central location. Don't want to be faffing with a ski bus on a big powder day. Mind you, you can still get into Mattun from the Gampen side and easy access down to the Zammermoosbahn plus Kapall gives you access to some very nice off piste. Haven't skied the terrain off there for years but Schöngraben used to be wicked Very Happy

You can ski to Stuben easily from St Anton and get back up to Rauz if you take the correct piste rather than heading back into Stuben. You need to get the bus from Rauz up to Zürs. The only way you can do St Anton to Zürs is off the back of the Valluga with a guide. It is possible to ski from Zürs to Lech via Zug and then back to Zürs. Or you could start the circuit (der Weisse Ring/the white ring) in Lech. It is mainly a pisted route with a couple of ski routes but plenty of options off the side of the pistes if you are following their general direction to get between the areas.

For speedy access to off piste in Lech you might want to drive round rather than do the bus. However, the pass can be closed after heavy snowfall due to avalanche danger. If we fancied a day out with different terrain and the pass was closed, we'd hop on the train to Langen and go skiing in Sonnenkopf. There's some good terrain over there too.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
ulmerhutte, just looking at the piste map. Nasserein appears to only have direct access to Grampen while from the centre there is direct access to Grampen, Rendl or Galzig. Need to get to your target quick on a powder day!

Also, Zurs and St Christoph appear accessible from St Anton (with bus back from Zurs?). For Stuben and Lech is the easiest option to drive round?

BobinCH, I think your questions have been answered by Julia, but if your aim is to head down to Stuben or up to Schindlar, there is not much of a difference if you start from Nasserein or Vallugabahn. There is NO difference if you catch Gampenbahn - it finishes just below Nassereinbahn.

From Nassereinbahn, would ski down to Zammermoos - maybe 3 or 4 minutes, catch it up to the top, and then decide which way to head - down to Arlenmahderbahn to head to Stuben, down to Valluga II to go up to Vallugagrat, or Schindlerbahn. Each opens up many piste and offpiste possibilities.

If you catch Vallugabahn, then to get to those same places, you need to ski down to Osthang.

Your best bet to get great powder is to stay at Zurs. Expensive, but not that many people get up early. Even on a great day, it can be pretty quiet until 10 - 10:30am
latest report
juliad, ulmerhutte, thanks for the info. Sounds like there are many good options and the car gives us flexibility. Is the only way up Valluga 2 with a guide? Is there a way to access the Zurs descent from the top of Valluga 1? On the piste map it looks like there's a ridge going left from the top which might be hikeable?
ski holidays
BobinCH, I'm sure one of the St Anton based SnowHeads can confirm but I thought you still had to be with a guide to do the Valluga 2. It is possible to do the descent to Zürs by boot packing up from the top of 1 but I've not done it. It is a serious route down and you need to know where you are going plus avalanche danger is a very real risk. There has been a relatively recent thread on here somewhere about it talking about a number of avalanche deaths/incidents there. I'd personally not recommend it without a guide.
ski holidays
BobinCH, powderwhite are who Rich was working for in Verbier, seem like a pretty good operator IMO.
latest report
Correct. You cannot catch Valluga 2 with skis unless you have a guide. Yu can boot-pack up - people do, but you need to know what you are doing.

Info here: http://www.ultimate-ski.com/Off-Piste/Arlberg_Off_Piste/St_Anton_off-Piste/Off_the_back_Valluga/index.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've stayed with SkiVal in St. Anton and it was brilliant. Would definitely recommend, very friendly. I did end up shacking up with a great bunch of people though. Plus it was only £450 for me on my own in a double room as a last minute deal, can't complain!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy