Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French strikes affecting Haut Savoie?? Urgent Info please...

Poster: A snowHead
We HAVE to drive from Calais to the Aravis valley this weekend. Do any of you have local knowledge/ advice/ tips about the current situation regarding les protests? Autoroutes running smoothly? Gazole still available? Things so bad we should be coming down throught Belgium/Germany etc?? Any local knowledge most welcome. Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gvj, Look at one of the last posts on this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=67131&start=40
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gvj,

Take some obvious steps:

1. Fill up in UK before you leave.
2. Keep your tank filled up every 200- 300 miles. No point in running out.
3. If possible travel through the night. Most strikers will be in bed.
4. The rolling road blocks seem to be on normal roads not the toll roads.

Will the dispute still be ongoing after the vote in the French Parliment? Maybe they will stop after today/tomorrow/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Albertville was blockaded yesterday, and there were police on approach roads warning people. I think it was pretty well impossible to drive through for several hours. It was still quite disrupted later, with various diversions and more than usual traffic delays, but nothing drastic. One petrol place (at Géant) was completely out of diesel but the next place we tried there was no problem. Yesterday was a specific "day of action", of course.

They are threatening blocking go slows on the autoroutes. who knows? We are due to drive home, via Geneva airport, to drop off a visitor, next Tuesday and are not really sure what to expect. We'll just see how it goes and listen to 107.7. And try to keep the tank fairly topped up. And not drive at 130 kph which chews up diesel. If we have to spend an extra night en route, it's not a disaster.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Petrol statins around Morzine/Les Gets are out of diesel but have petrol. Come in through Geneva and fill up there!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going down to Serre Chevalier at the end of next week. We will fill up in Folkestone first, but will need more on the journey.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm going down to Montybert soon so shall fill up at Tesco's Ashford (jct10) using my 5p off a litre voucher before getting on the tunnel Very Happy Taking the X trail (petrol) with it's small tank so will have to stop for petrol at some point in France, we shall see how it goes.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, that's our only gripe with the X-trail, the small tank compared to similar. I'm sure our Laguna had a larger tank.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, Does the new X trail have a bigger tank?
Our old one has a 13 gallon tank (60l) compare that with our other car that takes 120 litres to fill Shocked

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 20-10-10 12:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But not many vehicles have a big enough tank to do Calais to Geneva, do they? It's over 500 miles. I might be able to do it at 45 mph. It sounds as though the government are forcing the removal of the blockades on fuel depots. The next few days will make things clearer - if the whole thing escalates it could get grim, or maybe the protesters will give up. A French first?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I can do Ashford to Moutier on one tank in my other car Very Happy
Could possibly go further bu I don't fancy stopping on the N90!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 20-10-10 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lagunas have a huge tank - 7-800 mile range at 70ish. Octavia does 650 at 70ish, CR-V was pants - 400 before warning light. Would imagine a 520d would be somewhere closer to the 800 mile range - big tank +efficient
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes indeed. I never normally run my tank anywhere near the warning light, but just worked it out and should be able to easily do Geneva to Calais on one tank. snowHead And if we went over the Jura, which makes lots of sense from Geneva airport, could fill up without even diverting from route.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
7 posts until the drift to 'my tank is bigger than yours'.....standards are slipping
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Voice of Reason, Mines the biggest wink
ski holidays
B*stards had better not disrupt my skiing Evil or Very Mad arrive in Tignes Sunday evening for a short break. At least I'm flying to Geneva and Mountainsun will be getting me to resort.
ski holidays
Got petrol in Moutiers yesterday with no problem.. think Super U had run out of the cheap unleaded but everywhere else was fine.
snow report
Diesel is being the most difficult, I think.
ski holidays
Any updates for the weekend please.
snow conditions
Would your insurance cover you if you run out of fuel? I don't imagine they would, as it is your own responsibility, surely?

Twisted Evil
latest report
The Voice of Reason, Dont joke I'm taking a petrol car normally I take a diesel Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, I bet the cost of fuel just over the border has increased somewhat recently..... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Spoke to my Mum last night, who is preparing to drive back from the Sud Touraine/Indre region on Sunday. Pretty bad there, no fuel in any of the stations for miles around now. She managed to fill up last week and didn't drive anywhere she didn't have to in preparation. Just as well as she wouldn't be able to get any locally now. She uses diesel in both vehicles but she didn't say that there was other fuel available, so I'm assuming there was none of either kind although admittedly I didn't think to ask. She also said that some garages are limiting fuel purchase to 25Ltrs per visit. Obviously this is not a region any of you will be driving through, so hopefully it's better elsewhere in France.
snow report
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Would your insurance cover you if you run out of fuel? I don't imagine they would, as it is your own responsibility, surely?

Twisted Evil

I think our breakdown cover does, but I will check.
ski holidays
I can always go to Italy to fill up before we come back, if there's a problem. But you're right I bet it will be expensive. Should get to our overnight stop in Reims without much of a problem, maybe we should detour and go into Suisse.
snow report
All the autoroute service stations will have petrol this weekend. You can find service stations with petrol from this website

http://forum.automoto.fr/trouver-de-lessence/

Listen to 107.7 FM as well.

Some of the refinery workers have been dragged back to work by the riot police as part of "national interest" legislation. They are not happy claiming its like the Gestapo. If only they'd made such a fuss in 1940 Happy, eh Kruisler?

[*] in fairness to the trades union movement, they made up the bulk of the resistance in France.
snow report
It's half term of course, so the main arteries might be busier than usual, but good to hear the autoroutes will have fuel. I'm not leaving till tuesday. Next "day of action" is Thursday, I think.
ski holidays
No problems in Geneva, and the price of diesel is pretty much what it was, about 1.70 chf per litre
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No problems yesterday driving back from Bellevillle valley to Geneva. Diesel/petrol available in Moutiers, also in Albertville. Filled up in GVA (Swiss side) before returning car to French side of airport
ski holidays
Anyone know if Boredsurfing made it?
ski holidays
Hells Bells, yes he did
snow report
Well there's about 8 or 9 inches level snow here this morning at 1550m - have just cobbled a set of chains which weren't quite the right size. So I hope he had snow tyres or chains - our webcams show snow at least down to 1100m.
snow conditions
redrunmarcus, good to know,
latest report
The local news just said one-third of French petrol stations are now dry - but that so far stocks to the autoroutes are being maintained. In the medium term things still look a bit difficult, fuel-wise.
snow conditions
pam w, thanks. I have our B&B hosts checking out the situation near Reims too. If we fill up there we should get to Briancon, and can go to Italy for fuel if necessary.
latest report
Hells Bells, I've been checking out the situation for my family on holiday in Provence and this site seems useful. You can choose which department to look at. http://www.carbu.fr/stationsvides_v2.html?dep=51 Good luck!
snow report
Update. Drove back up yesterday. During the evening there were frequent bulletins on 107.7 (kept breaking into "Mor sur le Nil") giving quite extensive lists of motorway service areas which had run out of diesel, or petrol, or sometimes both and one at Charmont which had plenty of fuel but a breakdown of their computers so couldn't sell any.

We had a pretty full tank so I wasn't listening hard, and 'twas difficult to take on board the long list of places at "kilometre X on the A-seize" or whatever, but the moral is, for the moment, not to let the tank run down.

I lurve eurotunnel; arrived at 2315 having been booked for this afternoon - straight onto a train which left at 2350, half an hour's sleep, then home on very quiet motorways.
snow report
pam w, thanks for that.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Anyone know if Boredsurfing made it?

Very Happy Yep sure did with no problems at all. Theres no WiFi in Montalbert at the mo so just had to come down to Mc Donalds at Albertville Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Theres no WiFi in Montalbert at the mo so just had to come down to Mc Donalds at Albertville

I've heard some excuses in my time....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy