Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which skis to move on?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi I am being forced by my better half to let go of more skis.

I had previously whittled down to keeping my Karmas, supershapes and 08 factory seths. I was very content with this arrangement, thinking I had most situations covered (messing about goto ski, piste ski and learning powder/trees ski) and for a holiday skier with an occasional jaunt to Scotland when finances allow, this is probably significant overkill.

However old habits die hard and I couldn't resist snagging some vintage movement thunders 05 when they came my way. In a similar vain since then I have also managed to gather some aged volkl gotamas and now some 08 atomic nomad crimsons.

I keep reading and re reading reviews and frankly they are all seem pretty dam good to me, and I am absolutely comfortable being on skis a few years old, so with that in mind how do I whittle further especially when I haven't skied the latter 3 and have only had a go on the seths in a fridge?

I doubt that it is in anyway a fair comparision but when I skied the karmas, progression from my silencers, I definately clicked with the ski in a way I hadn't ever before. I am therefore wondering if a similar feeling will occur with the gotamas over the seths? recognising that a fridge is hardly a good testing ground for a fat ish ski. I am also reluctant to get rid of the last of the supershape trilogy although the nomads are supposed to be so good should I really care? I have bought a number of atomic skis for various members of our group and no one has had any complaints, in fact most people have been extremely pleased.
My only experience of movement skis is pig stiff carbon skis that could be used as bridge supports Puzzled but I have been reliably informed that if I just MTFU I should be fine on the thunders. Shocked

So help me please, opinions are especially welcome from gear whores who may have skied some or all of these previously. Living in the UK I think I can only have one pow ish ski (mid fat) one for groomers and possibly one other? I need to be convinced of the best arrangement for the UK and Europe.

what have I missed or not considered? I am guessing a lot possibly crossover issues Embarassed advise gurus
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it was me assuming they are the right length I would hang on to the Supershapes and the Gotamas and get rid of everything else.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you actively go out and ski pistes or just do it when conditions elsewhere are too brutal? If the former definitely keep the supershapes if not consider the Thunder as the skinny end of your quiver possibly? If you were really ruthless you could go to a 1 ski quiver which I'd pick the Seths or the Goats for.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd keep the supershapes, and then either the Seths or the Goats (which years are they?).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm sure I remember posting on another thread of yours about having too many skis........

The answer is obviously to give some away to a deserving cause (i.e. me) Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Smile Thanks lynseyf. That thread was slightly different as I was also equiping some members of our ski group and not just hording.

Clarky999 they are the 08 and 06/7 respectively.

Fatbob I couldn't go down to one pair that would be like lopping off limbs. I still ski pistes but am getting more adventurous each trip - looking at hiring a guide this year for a couple of days.

Not much love for the karmas or nomads?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like the Karmas, I skied my boyfriends for a while and thought they were a pretty good all round ski, probably ideal for Scotland in that they are good in a lot of conditions, not skied any of your other skis though so can't compare Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So that version of the Seth has a bit of rocker?

Hmmm...

Well I'd imagine the supershapes are considerably better on piste than the Nomads. Don't know anything about the Karma. I guess to Goats vs Seth comes down to flavour a bit, pretty sure the goats are stiffer and normal camber... (?) Maybe you could convince your OH that the Seths are for powder and the goats are to blast the cruddy/tracked out stuff the days after snowfall?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like like the supershapes are staying then, I am going to relegate the crimsons. First decision made Smile

It seems to me like there is a fairly strong argument to keep both the seths and goats wink I'll tell that to the boss.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
can you not just keep the skis and get rid of your wife? Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think I'd want to keep skis so similar Confused

Why not sell them and have a couple hundred quid in your pocket to spend on other ski-junk.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing @ shoogly It would definately be the cheaper long term option.

Scotia no such thing as ski-junk! Shocked just winter curios to while away the wee hours.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy