Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Given the legendary apres ski we're veering away from a catered chalet towards a self catered apartment for the extra flexibility. Looking for a good quality 6 to 8 person appartment in the centre of town. Have made an enquiry with Aparthotel Anton but looking for other options. Anyone have any recommendations? Also for restaurants and après ski ideas. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BobinCH, I'm going for the first time in February. Although I didn't book with him in the end I found Sidney Reilly (he's a snowhead) helpful and he has some apartments on his website http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 19-10-10 23:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A few thoughts..

Just the other side of the roundabout from Aparthotel is Pepi's Skihotel right next to the Rendl lift - with some great apartments on the top floor one of which has terrific views across the mountain.

For apres you've got the obvious Mooserwirt and KK options which you ought to do, I also enjoy Heustadl .

The Underground on Piste has good live music and is one of my favorites.

For dinner the restaurant in the museum is very smart and Bodega does good tapas.

Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So many options - For the midweek chalet hosts' night off go to Hazienda for a meal, you'll enjoy it, Angentinien Rindfleisch mit Nudeln..............mmmm! A great restaurant, great cocktails, and music later on. Pricey but a treat!! Smile

Also Giabli - opposite Mooswirt for lunch (bad weather days, long lunches with booming 70/ 80's rock......ha, ha), especially good when the Austrians are ski-racing on Eurosport, big Plasma, big atmosphere etc - see you there January, can't wait. Also Senn Hutte, best cheeseburger in the Alps!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haus Amperg. Stayed their for four weeks when I was on my gap course, although in February it'll only be 'normal' guests staying there. Just behind the spar, at the bottom of the main street but just off to one side. Two minutes from Bar Cuba for happy hour, 5 mins walk to the Glazigbahn, and a downhill stagger from anywhere where you would be drinking.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 19-10-10 21:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the apres front KK's is a bit too hipster for my taste, the Mooserwirt is the epitome of Austrian apres (get there at 3pm when they turn the lights down and the music up, and kickstart the party with 'the final countdown' - also very good for lunch (expensive, but very good value when you consider the side of the portions - the gulaschsuppe is ace), Cuba weekdays 4-6 has probably the cheapest beer in resort for happy hour, not really typical apres though. Plenty of other options too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bobo's is good for Tex-Mex food early evening and decent drinking later. You must try the Jagermeister-fuelled 1am karaoke (the mrs and I went for "Where is my mind"). Avoid 70s disco nights though, there are predatory cougars around.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH, Make sure you go to the funky chicken, il pomodoro and or/ platzl apres club as they're all being knocked down next summer...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Bobo's is good for Tex-Mex food early evening

Reasonable prices too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Haus Amperg. Stayed their for four weeks when I was on my gap course, although in February it'll only be 'normal' guests staying there. Just behind the spar, at the bottom of the main street but just off to one side. Two minutes from Bar Cuba for happy hour, 5 mins walk to the Glazigbahn, and a downhill stagger from anywhere where you would be drinking.

Haus Amperg is now called Altes Thoenihaus. A new Spa was built in the old part of the house for last season.

http://www.altes-thoenihaus.at/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett wrote:
BobinCH, Make sure you go to the funky chicken, il pomodoro and or/ platzl apres club as they're all being knocked down next summer...

OMG Shocked Il Pomodoro is my favourite resort restaurant anywhere. Cheap, buzzing and great pizzas.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH, as others have said - try sidneyreilly. Pepis Ski hotel really is excellent - some of the lads stayed there a couple of years back. This year we stayed at Haus Angelika, a b&b right beside the Galzigbahn and Rendlbahn - around €70 a night pp. Will be returning there the next time I go back (which won't be till 2012 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ). The Anton Hotel though is probably one of the best locations in town.

Would go along with the other restaurant recommendations and add Scotty's - OK not exactly what I would normally look for (ie full of Brits and most staff are Brits) but food pretty decent and reasonable. Also don't forget the burger shop near the end of the pedestrian zone for awesome burgers (to soak up the alcohol). Avoid the Chineese - it's rubbish and overpriced. The restaurant in the ski museum is supposed to be excellent but I've never been.

Do not underestimate the great times you can have in the Griabli, especially when The Snowtones play there. Some of our best apres ski afternoons/evenings have been in there and the beer and service much better than the Moos. We usually have a few pints in there before heading over to the Moos (wee tip - park your skis at the back of the Griabli and less likely of loosing them). And definitely catch Gunar in the Picaddilly - the place is rammed.

Another tip - you might find getting served at bar in Moos and Picaddilly quite frustrating but they do provide 'waiter' service, so make sure you catch these guys that carry gallons of beer and they'll bring the drinks to your table/standing area.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scotty's pizzas is one of the most up and down places to eat in St Anton. I have honestly had some of the worst undercooked doughy nasty pizzas I've ever been served there, other times piping hot and delicious. I can only guess that it must depend on who is cooking. Pomodoros probably does slightly better pizza in my view, certainly more consistent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're at the Nasserein end, Pizza Burger Express do nice pizzas. The burger are good value and tasty too. It's a takeaway really (does delivery) but you can eat in.

Not a big fan of Scotty's, pizzas weren't too bad, but there are better places (Pommodoro, San Antonio, PBE).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The restaurant in the ski museum is supposed to be excellent but I've never been.

It is, but also expensive.
snow report
I'm off to St. Anton in Feb (arranged through Sidney although not one of his places - thanks Sid). This is very valuable information for the beer and food Toofy Grin . Not sure about starting Apres at 3pm tho' would normally still be sliding about until 4 at the earliest and usually later.
latest report
Quote:

Not sure about starting Apres at 3pm

Shocked
ski holidays
Not sure what Shocked means in this context boabski, wink Laughing
ski holidays
halfhand, i used to say that before I went to St Anton....
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
Avoid the Chineese - it's rubbish and overpriced

This is one of the oldest restaurants in St Anton. I think you may of hit it on a bad day.

This is also one of the cheapest places grab Lunch around €7 all in !! Ski down & just a short walk.
latest report
I had a great meal in the chinese - its the only place i have had beer and liked it (Tsing Tao)
snow conditions
Quote:

This is one of the oldest restaurants in St Anton. I think you may of hit it on a bad day.

Quote:

I had a great meal in the chinese

Just goes to show you. I geniunely thought it was rubbish, but then again my local Chinese is excellent.
Quote:

its the only place i have had beer and liked it (Tsing Tao)

Shocked Only redeeming fact about the Chinese was the fact that Kaiser was readilly available on draft Very Happy
Quote:

Not sure what means in this context boabski

Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Just got wind of a cheap deal in Jan at Pepi's from Iglu: http://www.igluski.com/st-anton/pepi-gabl-hotel--apartments_p24363?holidayid=27661563
snow report
Thanks for all the advice. Tried Sidney who's very helpful. Probably going to go for a Supertravel catered chalet. Will note down all the food and apres recommendations although if we try them all I'm not sure how we'll get up for the skiing in the morning Very Happy
snow report
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

halfhand, i used to say that before I went to St Anton....

Laughing St. Anton virgin, that's me Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Well if you're female, you won't come back a virgin wink
ski holidays
boabski, Or male probably wink Laughing
snow report
halfhand, Laughing (it's either going to be a sore front bottom or back bottom - best to take a rubber ring wink )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The offer at igluski is for Pepi Gabl hotel which is not the Pepi's ski hotel mentioned by boabski...... very different beast.... and at the opposite end of town...
ski holidays
horizon,
Quote:

Avoid 70s disco nights though, there are predatory cougars around.

Sounds like our kind of place Laughing
snow conditions
I'm hitting there on the 6th of Feb....staying the Hotel Rundeck, it ain't cheap....but then again packages have gone through the roof over here now.

I've looked at coming over via Zurich and organising a transfer (I ain't driving, it interferes with me drinking)...anyone know of some resonable hotels or pensions???

Can someone recommend me a non-piste bar that'll be playing that uber shite Austrian/German apres tunes that we all love so well???....think "The Ice Bar" in Mayrhofen....the Moosewirt sound ace but we've got non skier with us so they have to be included.

Cheers.
snow report
dazman, your non skier can easily reach the Mooserwirt by bus and a short stroll.
ski holidays
dazman, as nozawaonsen, says or the underground on the piste plays live music and has a great atmosphere
snow report
Picadilly/Post Keller I think, have recollections of hearing Das Fliegerleid and Wir wollen die Eisbaer sehen in there amongst others, although it was nearer 2am that Apres ski time...

May not play the German Apres you're after, but I enjoyed Cuba for a more relaxed Apres, beer was around the 2 euro mark and had somebody playing live.
ski holidays
Quote:

beer was around the 2 euro mark

Sitter, Puzzled scratching my head to remember the last time Cuba did two euros a pint for punters?
snow report
nozawaonsen, Nice one...she'll be delighted she's not missing out on the craic, thanks for that.

...and with regards to Cuba and it's cheap drink (I knew Castro was a Paddy!) what's the resort like pricewise ??
ski holidays
dazman, expect to pay c.€5 a pint in the main places - Mooserwirt, Krazy Kanguruh and Picaddilly. The Rundeck actually does a very nice pint of Zipfer for around €3.50 but is dead quiet. Make sure you head over from the Mooserwirt to the Griabli for The Snowtones - great place to get some Kaiser and Heisse Witwe's down your throat without the waiting of the Moos/KK. Your non skiing friend will be able to taxi up to these places and slide down on bum afterwards Laughing
latest report
boabski, Cheers...beer advice is second to only piste conditions when it comes to the importance of local knowledge.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Quote:

beer was around the 2 euro mark

Sitter, Puzzled scratching my head to remember the last time Cuba did two euros a pint for punters?

Perhaps it was a seasonnaire only thing then, don't recall showing my staff card tho Confused
snow report
Sitter, Were you drinking your own cans in the pub?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy