Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski resort in Europe opens its slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Winter is on its way - Ruka ski resort in Finnish Lapland opened yesterday. The resort has been the first in Europe to open its ski slopes for the past 10 years. Several glaciers around Europe have also had their slopes boosted with up to 10cm of snow this week....See: http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/prne/rukakeskus/46295/ and http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/sports/snowsports/snownews.shtml
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The resort has been the first in Europe to open its ski slopes for the past 10 years.

Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Non-glaciated presumably
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i thought the lecht beat everyone a couple of years ago (seriously)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yad Moss - 1st November 2008:

http://youtube.com/v/kqsqh1MGdgc
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
barry wrote:

There was a bit of an argument about that as I recall with various people trying to suggest that other places had opened first, I think mainly glacier resorts in the Alps but IIRC Rukka might have also been mentioned. I think it was the first non-glacier resort outside the arctic circle but some people seemed to find it difficult to give it the kudos it deserved - ever the case with Scottish skiing, where it sometimes seems to be the case that some people (thankfuly a very small minority here) are doggedly unwilling to admit anything positive. rolling eyes

I think these people are the sorts who'd rather blether on over the dinner party table about how many thousands they spend hiring luxury mountain chalets in various parts of the world (obviously giving greater snob value points) than those who are willing to support their indigenous snowsports scene. I've come to the conclusion it's all a matter of mindset rather than ability (notwithstanding the old addage about being able to ski anywhere if you can ski Scotland) and you get that type all over the UK, even relatively local to the Scottish ski areas. These are the types of people who'll swear blind they only got one or two decent days of skiing in Scotland in the last decade despite it being well documented there have been loads of great weeks, especially the last couple of seasons. Whereas conversely there are those who'll make the effort from as far away as London and the south of England (or even the French Alps in the case of one friend of mine!) and manage, strangely enough, to get a whole week or more of excellent sport ... as they say where there's a will there's a way ... and where there's an open mind ... Toofy Grin

Anyway, well done Rukka, it's great to see resorts opening wherever they are and here's to loads more, in the Alps, Scotland, NA and many other places, getting enough snow to start their seasons over the next few weeks snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I think these people are the sorts who'd rather blether on over the dinner party table about how many thousands they spend hiring luxury mountain chalets in various parts of the world (obviously giving greater snob value points) than those who are willing to support their indigenous snowsports scene.

Fantastic analysis roga! I know one of them!! They happened to be in Aviemore one winter but had always considered Scotish skiing a bit beneath them - they hadn't actually said it, but my tales of fantastic weekends in Scotland were always greeted with underwhelming enthusiasm. Anyway, they boldly ventured up to the slopes - not with ski kit you understand but just to have a look. The verdict? "Once we'd watched them skiing down over the snow patches and strips of snow there was no way we were going up there! You could see sparks flying off the ski edges where they went over the rocks!"

They've never been back....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga wrote:
barry wrote:

There was a bit of an argument about that as I recall with various people trying to suggest that other places had opened first

Les 7 Laux opened before The Lecht that year. There may have been other resorts open too.

les 7 Laux is opening tomorrow, which will be their earliest opening on record.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is the first year in the last four that a non glacier ski area has opened before one in the UK snowHead Scotalnd and the lake District have been first in recent years. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I think these people are the sorts who'd rather blether on over the dinner party table about how many thousands they spend hiring luxury mountain chalets in various parts of the world (obviously giving greater snob value points) than those who are willing to support their indigenous snowsports scene.

There are those who go on ski holidays and then there are 'skiers'.
No doubt about it, Roga you are one of the latter snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is Les 7 Laux a glacier resort? Puzzled

I'm presuming not, in which case there's a bit of a disagreement here about who opened first over the last few years - what were the respective opening dates for Les 7 Laux and The Lecht?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^ Peter S, I like to think so Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roga wrote:
^^ Peter S, I like to think so Toofy Grin

Mind you the irony is that as a ski instructor I'm not sure there's so much of a market with the "'skiers'" (at least not with the hardcore Scottish ones!) whereas there certainly is a lucrative market with "those who go on ski holidays" although even that market is getting squeezed at the moment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So how come I suddenly can't edit my posts above? Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Once again the UK, and more specifically an English ski area, is one of the first again to operate, ahead of most of the Alps Cool

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2325
ski holidays
roga, you can't edit posts in snownews
snow report
^ aha, duh me eh! Laughing

But hey, well done to Raise although of course all the Scots here, like me, will be ever so upset that we've been beaten ... again Wink

Nah seriously though nice one guys! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy