Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming pre-xmas

Poster: A snowHead
So, got the frist trip of the season lined up. Staying at friends chalet in Schladming for 4 days the weekend before Xmas. Any tips and tricks from the SH massive? My friend knows the area very well so bars/restaurants and general skiing should be OK with, but he isn't into off-piste, so if anyone knows a good guide I'd like to hear about it.

Also, only vaguely reasonable travel option seems to be Ryanair from Stanstead, working out (including 20k luggage + skis) at £262. Also got to work out how to get to Stanstead for a 6.35am flight. Anyne got any better suggestions before I sell my soul to Michael O'Leary?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easyjet fly from Gatwick to Innsbruck from 10 December which may work out better for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lufthansa to Munich, free ski carriage, just booked some for January and really reasonable, £89 return - worth a look. Bit of a drive at far end but £262 is a bit of lash with Dreary-O'Leary-air!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCollier1, Markymark29, cheers, both options, but the clincher is the short and easy train from Salzberg (should have mentioned that in original post). I don't mind paying a little more for convenience, and may be traveling alone so simple is better. Train from Munich might be an option, 2 x 1 1/2 hour trains via Salzberg (http://austria.europe-mountains.com/schladming-getting-to.aspx). Can't really be @rsed with hiring a car, tbh.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John, the Munich trains are v convenient, and for the price differential I would do that, although I don't mind paying a bit more for convenience, £89 to £262 is a lot more IMO. Also Lufthansa are more likely to treat you better in the event of anything going wrong, which on a short trip, just before Christmas, with all the potential for a logistical snafu, might be useful.

Try and rouse fellow snowHead waynos, who spends each winter in the area and spend lots of time off-piste.

D
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Deliaskis, all very good points. Price quoted for my travel (17th & 22nd) is £130. Also factoring in the better flight times and airport (civilised times at Heathrow instead of 6.30 at Stanstead, and I live in West London), Munich is looking a nice option. How easy/tricky is it to get from Munich airport to train station (will have roller bag, back pack and skis with me)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, it's a doddle - the direct S-Bahn link using the S8 takes about 30 minutes to the Hauptbahnhof and the alternative S1 goes a slightly longer way to the same place. The S-Bahn station is directly below the Arrivals area in Module C. Ticket machines in the middle of the area just before descending to the platforms. The trains run every 10 minutes during the day.

There is also a bus link directly to the Hauptbahnhof (outside of the same area Module C) but I prefer the S-Bahn as there is less chance of being held up in traffic.

If you go to the Deutsche Bahn website (www.bahn.com) you can select English and then begin the search for trains to Schladming.

I've just tested this using next Saturday outbound fare from 19 Euro return fare the following Saturday from 58 Euro.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr John, 6.35am Ryanair flight could get you on the slope at 11.30 the same day. I've done it a few times for Salzburg resorts and hopefully do it again for Schladming in January.

You can book transfer on the resort website for I think 42E return, very convenient but they might need 2 people to run it.

There is nice, lift accessible off-piste in nearby Zauchensee. Short drive if your friends have the car and well worth a visit. Same skipass.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sue - You're obviously a whizz when it comes to all things Munich, slightly off-thread here but do you know how easy (or otherwise) it is to get from Munich airport to St Anton (Arlberg) by train? We were "talking " earlier I think about the delight of winter tyres etc, and am tempted to look at trains rather than hiring a car. Are there many changes required, and is it a fast service?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tom W, another good point. Dammit, you've got me swinging the other way now (as it were). Yet more to ponder...

Yep, got transport, I'll start bugging him now about the off-piste
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, Yeah I know it is not for all but always worked for me.
It is such a nice feeling to ski on the same day - and also we used to book the return flight after 9pm so we ski ALL day on the last day
(they dropped that for this winter, only Saturdays left).

Literally no transfer days for us which is great. I always hated the last day of holiday which was normally wasted only for traveling.

Saying this we live under 1h driving from Stansted. If it is longer you might be too tired to ski.

This taxi transfer service is great, they will wait for you at the airport and drop you at your hotel in well under 1h:
http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/transfer-en.php
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tom W, I'm all for arrival day skiing, no problem pushing it a bit to get those first few runs in. I'm just over an hour from Stanstead (especially at daft o'clock in the morning), and hoping to get a lift so Urineair might be the way forward, especially with the taxi transfer the other end. Many thanks for the tips.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29, just put Munich Airport ( München Flughafen Terminal) as your start point and St Anton am Arlberg as your finish into the Deutsche Bahn site link I gave above and you will get a selection of trains and times.

I've just run that for this coming Saturday and it is showing between 4hrs 56mins and 5hrs 53 minutes. Prices vary from 19 Euro to 65 Euro one way. Number of changes varies from 2 to 4 depending on the route you are travelling. The quickest ones are via Innsbruck and the longer trips are via Rosenheim/Kufstein/Innsbruck or Lindau. You pays your money and takes your choice.

It does seem to be more expensive coming back - so maybe book outbound with DB and return via the Austrian railways - two singles instead of a return?

All the changeovers are relatively easy and you have time at each station to get from one platform to another without killing yourself!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sue, thanks for your advice - seems a long journey, only 3 hours max in the car. Maybe they have faster trains in winter when there's more demand. otherwise I'll be sticking with the car I reckon.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
might be old, but it's very apposite given I may very well be booking with Urineair for the first time in about 6 years...

http://youtube.com/v/ZAg0lUYHHFc&feature=player_embedded
latest report
Right, Heathrow to Munich on Lufthansa with free ski carriage wins. O'leary and his £262, 6.35am from Stanstead can go screw himself. And quite looking forward to the train journey. Bumped it up to 4 days on the slopes, because I can.

I just hope the snow arrives....

Cheers all for the advice, will let you know how it goes.
latest report
Dr John - nice one, glad the tip was useful - Lufthansa are very slick, dont forget to advise them before you travel re skis being carried to ensure they carry for you FOC.
snow conditions
If you Fly to Munich with BA always £67 any day or Lufthansa and then it is so easy from then Airport to Schladming, literally just go downstairs and catch the train which will stop at Munchen Ost then change for a train straight from there to Schladming, easy!

I did this earlier this year and I will be doing it again in Dec.

Hope it goes as well as it did for me.
ski holidays
Fraser13j, BA flights for the dates I wanted, 17th-22nd, came in at over £200, got Lufthansa for £137 (and free ski carriage) same dates. New train timetable not out yet, but should be in resort by around 5pm. Conditions shaping up nicely; http://www.skiingaustria.co.uk/schladming/schladming-webcam.html
snow report
Dr John, Go on Planai website or Hauser Kaibling, really good websites, webcams Info etc. Sorry about the flight info! Was that when I checked a few weeks ago as family were booking. But Lufthansa seems pretty good! Im out there from the 4th till Jan so PM me.
latest report
Dr John, Samerberg Sue, Good info on routes to Schladming via Munich. Cheers.
ski holidays
Fraser13j, do you know what's going on with the Reiteralm downhill this season. Apparently it's been on the 18th December in years past but doesn't seem to be happening this year?
snow report
Dr John, just had a peek at my calendar and there are 2 x EC DH and a SG (mens) at Reiteralm on 9-11 November
snow conditions
kooky, brill, thanks
snow conditions
Hello All,
Was in Schladming in Jan this year and returning end of Jan 2011. We bought the lift passes through the T/O last year and could use them from 3pm Sat even though they were 6 day ski amade passes due to start on the Sunday. This year we are travelling D.I.Y. as T/O prices/supplements are ridiculous and will be buying the passes either "at the window" or online from Planai website - does the same rule apply to ski on first Sat after 3pm or was this a T/O thing ?
latest report
Quote:

literally just go downstairs and catch the train

As opposed to "metaphorically just go downstairs and catch the train...? Toofy Grin "
snow report
briand6868, You can ski after 3pm if you buy passes "at the window". Not a TO thing.
snow report
briand6868, I wouldn't bother buying them online either... it'll only take 2 mins when you arrive for your first ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cad99uk wrote:
briand6868, You can ski after 3pm if you buy passes "at the window". Not a TO thing.
Very Happy Thanks lads, I'll get them at the window
ski holidays
2.5 weeks to go, anyone know how things are shaping up in Schladming?
ski holidays
Dr John, Ask Flangesax as he's skiing there (among other places) this week. I'm probably going to join them on the Reiteralm once my car comes out of surgery!

Snowing fit to bust here and have had 20cms+ looking out of my window this morning. I'm to the west of Salzburg but not by much - looks like it is dumping fit to bust on the web cams and weather reports!
snow report
For first-hand information on conditions in Schlamding, keep an eye on this thread
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=36680&start=125

If you can't read german, and you're in for a laugh, see what comes out of google translateg
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D104%26t%3D36680%26start%3D125
snow report
10 days to go and things are looking pretty good out there;
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=217
http://www.planai.at/winter/en/Home.html

Anyone know where I can buy a face mask from in London? SnR & EB don't seem to have them, only buffs, which aren't really up to job at -10.
snow report
almost any intersport or sport 2000 when you are here about €10 - €15
snow report
flangesax, lovely, ta. While I'm in there I'll try on some POC goggles and try desperately to justify buying them...
snow conditions
Well, mixed results so far here in Schladming. Get here on Friday was a mission with Munich being up the spout, and trains canceled and delayed all over the show, 14 hours in total. Yesterday morning was glorious, with the pistes in perfect conditions and the sun shinning intermittently. Then, after a very good run from top to bottom, including the black used for the night race, the instep of my left foot started aching like crazy. In the gondola on the way back aching turned to agony, and at lunch and Onkle Willies Hutte I took my boot off to inspect the damage. Big mistake. Instep ballooned and there was no way I could get the boot back on again, due to size of foot and general agony. Poor friends had to go down to collect my walking shoes while I nursed by swollen foot with and ice pack kindly provided by the staff and plenty of beer. Xrays at the hospital this morning revealed nothing broken, "rest is best" announced Her Doktor. So I'm resting, hoping to have another go tomorrow or, last resort, Tuesday.
I'm going to Val d'Isereo 9th Jan so the question is how/why did the blasted thing happen? I can only think a little jump I did where I landed hard caused the initial bruise, and hard carving aggravated it. I'm currently blaming my boots, but it's odd because I haven't had issues with them before. Has anyone else had similar issues with in-step bruising?
latest report
Dr John,

Bad news & sorry to hear it.

Hope you can get some more skiing in. Good luck.
snow conditions
cheers, going to have a go today.

Can anyone recommend a bootfitter in Schladming?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy