Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice from slapheads please

Poster: A snowHead
I am in possession of a clean shaven head and normally wear an insulated beanie when skiing which keeps me more that warm enough as I don't suffer from the cold too much

I am probably swapping to one of these new fangled helmet things and wanted to know how warm they keep your head if you are less than hirsute? Do I need to get one of those thin beanies that can be worn under the helmet and if so any recommendations?

I guess I need something that can be worn when I take the helmet off as well, even if I keep it in my pocket.

p.s. this is baldness thread and not a helmet thread so I'm safe wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am also lacking in Loft insulation and find that whilst wearing the helmet I dont really feel any diffrence compared to a beanie.

But always have one in the back pack for lunch etc.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sooo bad I only wear my helmet when it's cold enough for a hat snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
now that i have a bald spot i don't go out in public and stay in a heated celler.

I'm Joseph Fritzel and no windows was my idea!!!! Toofy Grin

OK no sleep and too much coffee. time for a break. Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Being folically challenged I find that a buff makes for appropriate alternate sweat absorption usually provided by the flowing locks of the more hirsute. Cold is very rarely a problem unless you're wearing a bike helmet.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr L is bald as a coot, always wears a helmet, doesn't get cold. Good to have either vents which close or a compatible hood for windy chairlifts though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A friend whose head reflects the sun always uses a very thin beanie with a helmet, and swears by it.

I suggest getting one, in the worst case you have something for long stops, lunches etc. Takes next to no space in your pocket.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm Joseph Fritzel and no windows was my idea!!!!

Dot., LOL!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I find helmet hotter than hat. You are unlikely to get cold, just make sure it fits well and the ear pieces are a good fit to prevent any breeze getting in there. Fine down to minus 35.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers chaps, looks like I'll be warm enough If I get something I can shut the vents on if needed and carry a normal beanie for when stopping.

Might get one of these, not the best looking bash hat but is low profile and has vents that close - http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/snow-helmets/chapter-3844.html

now to find one to try on.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tiffin, If I was you I'd carry a 'buff' style head warmer for colder days - they fold up to next to nothing in your pocket yet can be worn pulled up from neck to balaclava style and are always thin enough to fit under a helmet I would think - and if worn like that have the advantage of giving any helmet a washable liner Very Happy

In fact if its any use to you my local TXMAXX had a huge selection the other day and whilst I was sorting through them I found I chucked too many in the shopping bag so as the moment have three for sale either all together on a card for £6 or £2.00 each happy to post out in exchange for a couple of pound coins in an envelope if anyone wants one (or I should be at London ski show on Friday) - they are not the Buff brand though, instead they are by a company called Comfy, but should be just as functional. I have 1 each of blue, black or red with little snowflakes over them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I am also lacking in Loft insulation and find that whilst wearing the helmet I dont really feel any diffrence compared to a beanie.

But always have one in the back pack for lunch etc.

Have you thought of trying a cheese sandwich instead? Much more nourishing and the crusts will make your remaining hair curl.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What I use under my helmet (cue Boris) is a skull cap http://www.ellis-brigham.com/helmets/red/707028/skull-cap

It is very thin fleece around the edges and keeps the ears warm, but you dont get roasting on top (and I'm baldy).

Cheers
Bob
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mazel tov!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use my helmet most of the time ............its much warmer than a hat
ski holidays
I find my helmet warm enough for every condition I've been in... and I've skied some cold conditions. Have a totally shaved head and only use a buff for round the neck.
snow conditions
I was looking at the buffs, anyone have any opinion on the Polar versus the Cyclone?
snow report
glasgowcyclops wrote:
What I use under my helmet (cue Boris) is a skull cap http://www.ellis-brigham.com/helmets/red/707028/skull-cap

It is very thin fleece around the edges and keeps the ears warm, but you dont get roasting on top (and I'm baldy).

Cheers
Bob

another shout for that one
ski holidays
tiffin, Either could be too thick to go comfortably under a helmet - I've got one that has a thin layer of a stretchy polyester type material on the top (50% of its length) and a more a cosy fleecy bit at the bottom - the thin bit will go under a helmet - or you can get 100% length in the thin material - the thing bit is better under a helmet IMV (but then I have hair too!!) in your situation you might find you can fit the polar fleecy bit under your helmet - it depends on how snug it already is.
snow report
tiffin, Merino buffs are the way to go.
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:
now that i have a bald spot i don't go out in public and stay in a heated celler.

I'm Joseph Fritzel and no windows was my idea!!!! Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
ski holidays
I was waiting for the obvious!!
latest report
Please excuse the 6 year old thread resurrection, but it kinda fits the bill!
First year with a helmet, is it worth picking up a skull cap to keep my baldy head a little warmer?
Someone mentioned "buffs" as well? snowHead
ski holidays
Or get a very thin windproof balaclava, perhaps a cycling style. I have a shaved head but have never needed a layer under the helmet, I always ski hot and very rarely need to close my vents.
latest report
Helmet is warmer than a hat or beanie. Well, mine is anyway: good job it has excellent ventilation!
snow report
Thin merino beanie under helmet serves this captain slap-head well, not so much for insulation but sweaty head is itchy/tickley and you cannot get inside helmet to scratch. So beanie avoids this issue.
latest report
@letsgetpiste, As others have said, helmets are warmer than beanies so you won't need any sort of base layer. Personally, I ski with a buff(around my neck) in cold weather and if you pull the back up towards the top of your head and then put the helmet on it keeps your neck warm and holds the buff in perfect position to be used as a face mask too. If necessary you could pull it all the way up, but you won't need to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is there a top bump competition going on Im not aware of?
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
Is there a top bump competition going on Im not aware of?

Shush!! Laughing
latest report
@Scarpa, @Dr Rock, @Ian Kenvyn, @foxtrotzulu, thank you all!
I think the buff is the answer. I'm sure I have one knocking around already Smile
Don't like the sound of the itchy head, @Ian Kenvyn!!
latest report
As a fellow baldie, I just wear my helmet. I tried a thin beanie once and I ended up sweating like a gerbil at a mardi gras...YMMV
latest report
I'm a slap head in training, and I have tried various helmet liners. The best I have used so for is the Arcteryx Phase AR Beanie.

However, I tend to use a Buff under my helmet when mountain biking.
latest report
@letsgetpiste,

I keep a silk balaclava in my pocket for the odd occasions the weather has gone 'blizzard' whilst out, otherwise never use anything under my helmet and always leave vents open...........but I always put on a very thin beenie when I take the helmet off, to prevent chilling too quickly.

If you ski hot then make sure the lid you buy has a removable/washable liner.
ski holidays
My thatch is long gone and have skied in -30 in a helmet without an extra head layer and was plenty warm enough. I do tend to run hot though despite having decent technique and being pretty fit. When I'm on the bike in the gym you tend to need a kayak to go past me Smile

Just get a helmet with adjustable vents otherwise what is comfortable in January may be pretty horrid in March
snow conditions
I have a 'High forehead' and I've never had a cold head since wearing a helmet. I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to the cold too.

I'd say this though:

1. Make sure you get a helmet with good ventilation. Many have a slider that opens and closes vents. I never feel too hot or too cold because my lid has good venting.

2. Try your new helmet with your goggles. Make sure that there's no gap between the goggle and the helmet otherwise you can feel the cold there.
ski holidays
mozwold wrote:
@letsgetpiste,

I keep a silk balaclava in my pocket

For the snowhead who has everything?? Laughing

I think the advice all round appears to say I'll be grand... but having something light in my pocket wont hurt!
ski holidays
My helmet allows air to pass across my slaphead (no vents that close). Find a beanie the perfect solution or a balaclava when its really cold. Without the beanie my slaphead gets too cold when zipping along.
snow report
Bald head, ski helmet, -20, no issue. Very Happy Zermatt 2 years ago, if you ask, lift operators closed high up because of the cold!
ski holidays
Another vote for the silk balaclava if it gets very cold and snowy, otherwise a helmet is just fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy