Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back/Spine Protector -help me choose!

Poster: A snowHead
I've decided to get a spine protector this year and have narrowed my choice down to three (in no particular order):

1. POC Spine VPD Vest
2. Slytech 2nd skin slammer pro with kevlar (is this the same as P1 Dynamic made by Ortema in Germany?? They look exactly the same!)
3. Komperdell Cross (or Airshock vest)

I've tried on the POC but not the other two yet but would assume they fit similar to the POC. I'm mostly interested in these 'new generation' protectors with memory foam. I don't like the idea of the hard plastic ones.

Any advice? Should I be looking at others? Other than fit, which I know is the most important, what should I look out for?? I like the idea of a vest as its probably more comfortable and moves less but I'm afraid they might get too hot.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ludwigk, hubby has a Slytech one.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
but not the one with Kevlar.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it for racing or freestyle?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a Slytech 2nd Skin soft back protector which is used for gate training. It is really comfortable. The memory foam is great and definitely makes it more wearable than the hard plastic types IMO.

I don't use the shoulder straps and only sometimes wear the coccyx protection. It stays in place well with the waist belt and I tend to wear it with a fitted mid layer over the top.

I haven't tried the options outlined in your post above so can't advise you on them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went with Dainese Motorbike body Armour with with a zip out back protector. Light weight and excellent.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sorry I have vested intrested, but a few ideas

you should also look at Demon from the USA and Forcefield from the UK,

kevindonkleywood, asked the correct question what is it for, out and out freestyle with multiple impacts on the spine or racing, if its freeride then you should be looking at penertration protection as well as impact protection.

Hard shells help with penertration impacts and soft shell mem foam with freestyle. Quite a few racers use Komperdell and poc because of the sponership rather than the protection offered, sorry guys at Komp and POC.

Why do you need spine protection? let us know and Iam sure you will gets lots of good advice.

Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get a Forcefield one! super comfy and if you look in the motorbike world they tend to win most reviews! they do a lighter weight version for winter sports also!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK... I mainly do off-piste skiing but I avoid any big jumps and the park. So it's not really for either racing or freestyle. Makes me wonder if I really need one? I just thought that it's a natural extension of a helmet... like getting hit by another skier or falling on a rock or some ice.

I have fallen (hard) on some boilerplate runs and thought that I was lucky to walk away. Not sure if a protector would make a real difference in these sort of situations? I get the impression that they are now becoming more common when going off-piste as they were mandatory when I went with an off-piste guide last year.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ludwigk, hubby bought his after a collision with another skier, which caused a broken cervical vertebrae.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can highly recommend Knox and Dianese gear, I've not had any ski-ing tests of the gear but have done a fair bit of motorbike track days and motorcross and seen and had quite a few offs. The Knox back protectors are good as they usually cover the shoulder blades well and extend to cover the Coccyx, the popular Dianese ones always felt a little too narrow for me.

These types of designs are v good:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KNOX-BACK-PROTECTOR-/260678086549?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Protective_Clothing&hash=item3cb19fef95

If you want to go the whole hog there are cheaper versions of the full body armour such as these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GP-Pro-MX-Upper-Body-armour-Jacket-Protector-small-med-/220679975279?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Protective_Clothing&hash=item33618d316f

I've tried the full Dianese armour and ended buying the GP Pro. I use this vest for motorcross and a Knox protector for track days.

A few mates now wear the full Dianese gear for snowboarding after having some major accidents but even though I have the GP Pro I've found it a bit too much for general off piste ski-ing. If I was was jumping off 30ft cliffs I might re-consider!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ludwigk,
Quote:

I get the impression that they are now becoming more common when going off-piste as they were mandatory when I went with an off-piste guide last year.

being mandatory is a first for me, maybe an idea to look at back packs with spine protection built in, there are certainly more people using spine protection over the last few years, impacts with other skiers or boarders is another matter, more hard shell protection than soft.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forcefield
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've tried a couple (although unhelpfully none
on your list) and would definitely recommend the forcefield back protector. The Level 2 protection as previously stated wins many motorcycle review tests and fits as comfortably as any. Only downside I suppose is no cervical spine protection available which some of the makes you quote do have.
For my mind modern shock absorbing body armour is just an extension of the helmet concept. I don't think they'll necessarily save me from broken bones but do allow me to fall on my ar$e/back on boilerplate and still ski comfortably the next day

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 17-10-10 22:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.forcefieldperformance.com/product/sport-lite-2-back-protector/2346
latest report
Forcefield here too: comfy, not too warm and more than up to the job in the park

Edit: Freeride would be better served by more than just a back protector, i would suggest

http://www.forcefieldperformance.com/product/extreme-harness-adventure/2347

I can vouch for not only the lack of restriction and flexibility it gives you unlike some of the racing 'armadillo' hard shell types.

livetoski, may even be pursuaded to give you a litte snowHead preferential treatment if you decide to visit his website Very Happy

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/

this thread also has some good advice:

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1534142&highlight=body+armor+armour#1534142
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
ludwigk,
Quote:

I get the impression that they are now becoming more common when going off-piste as they were mandatory when I went with an off-piste guide last year.

being mandatory is a first for me, maybe an idea to look at back packs with spine protection built in, there are certainly more people using spine protection over the last few years, impacts with other skiers or boarders is another matter, more hard shell protection than soft.

Sorry - just to clarify -I meant that the use of the guiding companies backpacks with built-in protection (along with the necessary with avy gear) was mandatory but if you had your own gear you were able to use it instead. I tried some packs with built-in protection but have dismissed them because a) they seem uncomfortable and b) I will probably get an ABS pack in the near future and c) when I ski on-piste I don't need a backpack.
snow report
The forcefield gear looks very interesting and is basically the same design as the ones I'm evaluating. Does anyone know if it molds to your back once heated by the body? The Slytech seems to have the advantage of also covering your shoulders but the Komperdell has protection for your ribs.
snow report
ludwigk, Its a very close fitting soft shell armour which is held in place with large velcro straps for you can tighten it or loosen it to suit your taste, but essentially yes it does conform to the shape of your body.

Essentially the best way forward is probably going to be to get to your nearest motocycle dealer/ski company and try some on, the forcefield system is designed for long days of wearing unlike some of the race systems that are designed for maximum spinal protection but are as a result much more restrictive and uncomfy. Impact wise the system is designed to protect motorcycle riders in crashes so is more than up to the job

Once you have done you first few hours in the forcefield gear and the 'newness' has gone out of it you will hardly notice you have it on. I know a lot of freestylers wear it for that very reason.

I eventually bought the whole body system (except the shin guards) after seeking advice on here, I have not been dissapointed.

a large portion of the gear is machine washable, which certianaly makes your company more pleasant Very Happy

edit: Look at the full body harness system not just the back protectors
ski holidays
I don't think it has been mentioned above, but the Forcefield ones are breathable (well, my 2010 version is) and that makes a huge difference over some others..

snow report
ludwigk, Been staying on the side lines a little and reading before posting back Smile OK Forcefield gear is very comfy and after a little while you hardly know you are wearing it. They work on dissipating impacts over a large honey comb surface area, so for freestyle they are perfect.

However if you are doing freeride and off piste skiing and want some protection from rocks and trees etc then the soft shell protectors are not as good as the hard shell ones. The hard shell will give better protection from penertration type impacts, think along the lines of what your helemt is made of, it has a hard outer skin.

The Demon Flex Force Pro ranges etc have removeable hard shell components as well as foam protection.

If you are looking at airbags as well, then the newer Snowpulse Pro Rider models for this year (2011 models) have a great spine protection system built into them, they are not been marketed as this because they do not have the standards to back it up , however I have tried them and they are as good as any soft spine protection i have seen.

kevindonkleywood, thanks for the plug wink wink
latest report
I'm looking to get a POC Spine VPD Vest for the forthcoming season, but so far have not been able to track one down yet (at a reasonable price). Have tried the usual places, but most people are either out of stock or only have them in XS or XL (need a medium)

Have even got my buddies in Sweden (POC being Swedish) looking out for them, but not yet found one. Should any snowHead on their travels spot any shop that has their new season POC gear in, perhaps you could post details

Thanks a bunch, or should it be "Tack så mycket!"? Very Happy
latest report
Sleipnir, Ive just ordered a POC Helmet for my son , but will not get it till mid November as they have stated that is when the stock is being delivered by POC Distributor. As to price not sure you will get POC cheap , especially this season's comings stock. I used https://brainbucket.co.uk/ , they too have the VPD but only in XL , so I guess they are waiting for new stock for these too. The XL has been discounted
latest report
Picked up a POC VPD this weekend. According to the POC sizing charts I should be a L/XL but after trying both I went for a MED -makes sense as even though I'm over 180cm my upper body is a bit short so this is something to keep in mind when shopping for one. It seems to be very comfortable but Ill will have to wait and see on the hill.

BTW, does anyone know if their cervical and coccyx accessory pieces can be used with the VPD??
ski holidays
ludwigk wrote:
Picked up a POC VPD this weekend. According to the POC sizing charts I should be a L/XL but after trying both I went for a MED -makes sense as even though I'm over 180cm my upper body is a bit short so this is something to keep in mind when shopping for one. It seems to be very comfortable but Ill will have to wait and see on the hill.

BTW, does anyone know if their cervical and coccyx accessory pieces can be used with the VPD??

ludwigk I have the POC catalogue and there is no mention of the cervical and coccyx pieces being used in conjunction with the VPD - from my interpretation, they are 'plug in' extras to the Spine Ergo and Spine Ergo Bug (the ones with the sold material back plates)

Will have to check my sizing also. I am going to have to order online, so had better get this right. I'm shorter than you, 170cm and pretty short in the upper body too (a stumpy git!). As a matter of interest, and to help me decide if I actually need a small, what sort of measurement do you have from the base of your neck down to your waistline, if you don't mind me asking - I'm guessing this is the kind of dimension that is relevent for a back protrector + a bit for your tail bone
snow report
I have a Forcefield for when I am not wearing a backpack. Completely comfortable. Very happy to be wearing in last season when I thought I would have a go through some GS gates. Overpowered my binding, 30 yards in the air and flat on my back on the hard stuff. Now I have a screwdriver as well.
ski holidays
stiffdrink wrote:
Now I have a screwdriver as well.

Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy