Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

May in the French Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Looks pretty likely that we will be able to get away for up to 18 days on holiday from the 9th May. Is anything actually open in the French Alps in the way of lifts (to ski or to access high alt. walking?) and are there any people about and shops open given that its just after the end of the season?

We'll be out with our 1year old, any tips on some places to visit etc (insider recommendations etc) we are seasonal visitors to france to ski and love the mountains etc so any suggestions etc would be really welcome.

Cheers

David
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can tell you that everything will be shut in Les Saisies! However, the low altitude places such as the Hauteluce Valley should be looking very pretty, with flowers proliferating, though tourist facilities will often be closed. High places (eg Col de Joly) will still have melting snow and be a bit of a miserable option, especially for little ones. I would recommend low altitude walking, and enjoying the flowers - would be a better bet at this time of year. There are a load of gites in Hauteluce, which is a traditional village in a very beautiful valley, lots of traditional chalets, chapels, dominated by Mont Blanc. You might even find some cows with bells on, maybe a little later in the month. The Beaufortain in general would be a good place, because of the pastoral nature of the landscapes, and broad leaved forests which should be lovely at this time. Good luck.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Deux Alpes was excellent last week and I'm sure will be great through to the end of May.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The usual answer:-
Tignes/Val D'Isere, Les Deux Alpes, Chamonix. You could try one of the Swiss (Interlaken, Zermatt) or Austrian (Kaprun, Hinterux) resorts as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skinutter, Bourg St Maurice is a great spring/summer base, and unlike most resorts doesn't die a death when the season's over. The funicular keeps going all year round, too, to get up to Les Arcs, with the shuttle taking you up to Arc 2000. Easy access to all the surrounding mountains/resorts too...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG wrote:
The funicular keeps going all year round, too, to get up to Les Arcs, with the shuttle taking you up to Arc 2000

I didn't realise that, I thought it was winter and summer only.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you visit a ski resort to walk (or ski, I suppose), make sure that you don't pick the one week of the year when the lifts are shut for maintenance. As you might guess, I speak from bitter (mildly irritated, actually) experience, fortunately in Kitzbuhel, which is not too high.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow wrote:
Les Deux Alpes was excellent last week and I'm sure will be great through to the end of May.

apart from being closed in common with every other French ski domain from the 8th May.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, we're due to go to Serre Che to sign our contract for the new apartment, hoping it's delayed until June now as most of the hotels are closed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont wrote:
davidof, we're due to go to Serre Che to sign our contract for the new apartment, hoping it's delayed until June now as most of the hotels are closed.

I was in Le Casset last mid-May - we had to go to Briançon even to find a bakers that was open. I think Easiski said that Les 2 Alpes reopens mid-June.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
all you people recommending the french resorts, they are all shut IFRC.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe best to look at the Austrian or Swiss glaciers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh wrote:

Is Tignes shut in May?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skinutter was asking about places to be round and about the Alps. Not particularly ski-ing, as far as I could see. The resorts are closed (very) but lots of "real" places are open, near the mountains for walks and visiting. Obviously the big places like BSM but also smaller ones like Beaufort and even smaller ones like Hauteluce. The ski resorts are positively gloomy at this time, all brown grass, or slushy snow, and the general end of season grot. Down in the valleys, spring is springing, and there are still loads of mountains to visit and walk in. Forget ski resorts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
gregh wrote:

Is Tignes shut in May?

yes I believe so.
ski holidays
skinutter, OK so France is shut - but I seem to remember pollitcl talking about Tahoe being open till at least 30th May (and Mammoth possibly all year round). Time for a late deal on flights to California/Nevada?
snow report
pam w wrote:
skinutter was asking about places to be round and about the Alps. Not particularly ski-ing, as far as I could see.

Time to check that prescription Happy

"Is anything actually open in the French Alps in the way of lifts to ski"

The answer is, between the 9th of May and June. NO.
snow conditions
? The reason I mentioned BSM for May, is that skinutter added "or to access high alt. walking" in the same sentence! (Whose prescription are we checking here? wink)

But as davidof quite rightly says, this season there is no lift-accessed skiing from the 9th of May in France...
latest report
PG wrote:
? The reason I mentioned BSM for May, is that skinutter added "or to access high alt. walking" in the same sentence! (Whose prescription are we checking here? ;-))

but what are we, bobble hatted ramblers or hardcore skiers? Ok ok don't answer that!

BSM would be a sound choice, I've holidayed in Peisey and la Plagne in the summer and both were pleasant as would the other suggestion of Cham. I think both the Grand Montets lift and l'Aiguille du Midi should be shut for maintenance from the 9th May - when Grands is not closed, "skiers" do still use it in the late spring even though the ski domain is not pisted or secured and it is normally possible to return to the mid station for some weeks to come.
ski holidays
skinutter, I should think BSM would be ideal for you. You should pm PG, to see about his apartment there.

Helen Beaumont, Be sure to pop in and say hi when you're over signing the Contract! BTW I found that the dates (which I took to be contractual) in the Compromis were extremely fluid!
snow report
Hi Guys....

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated!!! Yeah to be clear I know that most of the ski resorts will be shut down and that I guessed it would be a ghost town until summer season gets underway. We are travelling with a 1 year old, so the idea was to mainly walk (and push his chair) on some easish terrain like we did back in November when we went to Chamonix for a week. I doubt we'd be able to ski even on a glacier due to the 'logistics' of looking after the wee one Happy BSM is a good suggestion will keep that in mind.

Cheers

David
latest report
skinutter, why not visit one of the lakes? Annecy, Geneva, or similar?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy