Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

20 months since I last skied.....

Poster: A snowHead
Was thinking about it today and i've had nearly 2 years off the schnee because of pesky injury, there hasn't been a day I haven't thought about skiing but as I still haven't got the green light from the physio to go again my expectation has changed. Rather than dreaming about charging in pow I'd settle for half an hour in a f@cking snowdome! This is not a depressive rant by the way i'm pretty cool about it now, what is the longest lay off anyone else has had?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had a 46 year lay off,

Then I went skiing for the first time and never looked back Toofy Grin

Fortunately been able to avoid any injury, and do feel for you - it must be sooooo frustrating Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gsyfreerider, hope the injury comes good before this season gets underway
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevindonkleywood, d day next week physio is assessing to see if I will be ready for a return from injury camp in Verbier in December but the fact you've just done your 666th post is a sign, you've put the kiss of death on it and now I'll probably have to settle for going to Vegas instead! Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm. Let me see. From when I skied for a fortnight on a school trip to when I got going again, about 20 years.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
School trip at 16; next time I could afford it I was 40. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Between 1992 and 2006 I only went skiing twice (1998 and 2000). In 1992 after completing a full season working for a TO I had to face the sad reality of getting a real job and paying my student debts off. I went on a cheap nasty trip to Andorra in 1998 and then blew the budget on a chalet holiday to Val D'Isère in 2000 (to celebrate paying the debts off!). Then in 2001 I bought my first house and couldn't afford to go skiing again until 2006. However, since then I've only missed one season (2007).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 16-10-10 7:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, Laughing i did school trip at 18 and was basically skint till I was 27 when I went again and then once I got the bug made up for lost time with interest! When I went again i was meant to go the following year but I had shocking credit card bills and still hadn't paid for the last trip. So 3 weeks before my mates were going I got a scorchio tax rebate of £2700. So did I stay home pay off some of my debts and the overdraft? Nah straight to the travel agents and a double header 17 day trip in Whistler and Fernie!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gsyfreerider,
Quote:

Nah straight to the travel agents and a double header 17 day trip in Whistler and Fernie!

NICE!!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skied with my parents as a child till I was about 14 or 15, then a gap till I was 34. Skied every year since.
An hour in a snow dome you will actually ski about 5 minutes (half that if you ski fast). Could you really not do that? What was the injury?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, ACL and MCL x2. I think I probably could go in a dome now, the issue at the moment is it us very uncomfortable walking the day after a gym session which doesn't bode well for skiing at the moment, plus I need to fly over to UK to get to a done in the first place!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First ski at 13 with school, then went again almost 20 years later. Luckily had a couple of trips a season since.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gsyfreerider, really hope it works out for you this season. Bloody knees eh... Just had mine filled with cortisone as haven't been able to run since last season. Fortunately skiing seems ok for the moment. Busting them completely is my worst nightmare.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

School trip at 16; next time I could afford it I was 40

Impressive that you paid your own way on a (presumably not cheap) school ski trip. Did you have a well paid paper round? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hope all goes well al the physio next week Gsyfreerider
Injuries are the bain of my life but so far been fairly lucky with only minor ski related ones. (And that is NOT tempting you, FATE!!)
latest report
Bergmeister, yes, I "paid my way" in the sense that there was an opportunity cost to me. I had a post office savings account into which my gran had been paying since I was born. When the school came up with the trip idea it was £40 and seemed completely out of reach but my mum said I could use that - on the understanding that it would then be all gone. So I did. and it was indeed gone, so no more trips till I was 40.
ski holidays
pam w, Still sounds like one of the best financial decisions you may have made snowHead
snow report
Laughing I've just paid nearly £40 for two hours at Tamworth tomorrow
snow report
Gsyfreerider, Skied about 8 weeks in my late twenties and then due to family etc not again until I was 55. It was so much easier on the modern gear.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, yes, well that was in - let's see - 1962! Iski, yes it was. Great decision. My sister subsequently spent hers on a trip to the Costa Brava and a sun tan.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, yeah but that's before your bar bill!

BobinCH, I think you've had a pretty good run mate, the funny thing is when I look at your posts and pics of epic days whilst I'm slightly jealous I think cos I've had those days before you kind of enjoy looking at other people doing it and are chuffed for them. That might be an acknowledgement my gnar days are over and it might be pistes and long lunches in the future! snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

When the school came up with the trip idea it was £40

1962 eh? I think I've seen sepia postcards of that era in ski resort shops. Did you manage ok with skiing in a skirt and using one big pole instead of two sticks Toofy Grin ??
snow report
mountainaddict, not quite that old, but we were sized up for skis by putting an arm up above the head and were taught stem christie turns. It was Norway, and it was brilliant! Gsyfreerider, pistes and long lunches aren't so bad. Hope your injury improves soon.
snow report
done my ACL skiing first time ever on skis! spent the next year undergoing reconstruction and intense physo, but i was determine to learn to ski as i would not let it beat me, went again 9 months later - physio not happy but he said make sure you brace up, so thats what i now do on both legs, its a pain but worth it so i can go skiing Laughing
snow report
debski, Now that's what I call persistence, good on ya Very Happy
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, hope the Tamworth day went well. Just saw J and S. My other half was out with S for lunch with friends and they gave her a lift home apparently they have been giving us some stick for hanging out on a geeky website!
ski holidays
debski wrote:
done my ACL skiing first time ever on skis! spent the next year undergoing reconstruction and intense physo, but i was determine to learn to ski as i would not let it beat me, went again 9 months later - physio not happy but he said make sure you brace up, so thats what i now do on both legs, its a pain but worth it so i can go skiing Laughing

I was all set to ski 9 months after ACL reconstruction but then found out I was pregnant 6 month after the surgery. Oh well hone that was a straight ACL rupture no other damage. I had anthroscopy and a meniscus carterlidge tear removed a week last Thursday I have a holiday booked for 12th dec and I am
praying I will be able to ski.
snow report
i will pray with you
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gsyfreerider, I've only skied 2 days in the last 20 months - we had to cancel last Feb as my wife had an injury. So I'm counting down to next Feb now.......
Hope your injury heals quickly Smile
When my boys were young we simply couldn't afford to ski for 4 years - then we started doing a few days in Scotland each Easter until we could afford the Alps a few years later.
snow conditions
NickyJ, if you got yourself ready in 9 months then you'll be flying in December, good for you.
ski holidays
billb, My kids who are 5 and 3 haven't skied yet so that's a big part of my motivation although will need another mortgage to pay for them to go!
snow report
Thanks - My children at 4 and 1. It is the first time my eldest is actually going to ski - well spritelets sessions with Esprit (as opposed to us holding her while on plastic ski thingys). The cost factor is why we have booked the 12th Dec, it was the cheapest week.
snow report
Gsyfreerider, We first took my two when the youngest was 2 months off 4yo and that was probably about right. Well he's been every year since (with us) and he's 20 now. Yes, it's expensive but it's great to see them progress (and get better than you). The eldest is the sportier one and, strangely, lost interest in skiing 5 years ago. Maybe he'll return to it one day - at least he knows how to do it (better than me).
snow conditions
Thanks to my kids I had about an 8 year gap but now managing 2 trips a year for past 5 years (most of the time)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy