Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Cymru 10/11 - Eto, os gwelwch yn dda! (Wales 10/11 - Again, if you please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Shimmy Alcott, I'm no expert but I thought hiraeth a touch more complex, certainly not directly translatable into English. Try "homesickness tinged with grief or sadness over the lost or departed. It is a mix of longing, yearning, nostalgia, wistfulness, and the earnest desire for the Wales of the past", or "the consciousness of man being out of his home area and that which is dear to him." Also "Hiraeth is the sense of being so much a part of a place -- and the place, a part of you -- that you feel forever incomplete when separated from it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ speaking as a Scot to me that sounds very celtic in sentiment - I like it, I like it a lot Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow, you've started the Welsh season thread in style snowHead Was riding the Brecon Gap last weekend and noticed a dusting on the highest peaks. Here's to an awesome winter snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
welshskier, oo, nice, like a lullaby
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very cold morning in Bristol today. Had to de-ice the car.

I'm guessing there was some snow in the Brecons?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunately not. Clear skies and frost here too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If any other exiles want to check out the Beacons for snow (or are just in the mood for a bit of hiraeth) there is a webcam on the National Park Visitor Centre - http://www.breconbeacons.org/pages/livewebcam.

Mike - fantastic pictures - any plans to sell them as posters or prints?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great link agw

Hadn't thought about it. Maybe at the end of the winter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It could be on next week ladies and gentlemen

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/6day/top

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/brecon/brecon_latest_pressure.html

Thanksgiving on Thursday. Hopefully I'll be giving thanks to the snow gods

The temps are right Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The sister site is pretty good for more 'local' hills -

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Caer-Caradoc/forecasts/459
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great link. Thanks.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike

friday snow with clearing and cold saturday? could be the day??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pre-dawn sortie lined up if the snow comes.

Will give me plenty of time in the hills and time to get to Cardiff to see Wales v NZ. Thank goodness it's a 5:15pm kick off Smile

It's my birthday Saturday, turns in the Beacons and a first win against NZ in my lifetime would be an unforgettable day snowHead Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dach in iawn Mike, superb pics. Im also hoping for another great ski season in Snowdonia. Last year I had day after day after day of fresh tracks on the Carneddau, Cwm Cneifion, Gally yr Ogof, Y Garn Bowl, yes had wanted to ski 'bannana gully' for ages and finally the conditions were great, I was basically trying to 'keep it all together' going down that slope!. On Many days it was possible to ski from Carnedd Dafydd right down to the farm at the A5 Glan Dena.

A fair covering of Snow above 850m today and its been sleeting/hail at 250m on and off all afternoon, Looks like its going to continue that way into the weekend, so fingers crossed for a good base to develop.

Bring it on Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mark handford, I don't suppose you fancy posting some links to google maps for some of those places ?

I'm on the Shropshire boarder so it's not so far to head over if there is some snow, but don't know Snowdonia especially well. The first \ last one is familiar and I've camped opposite the farm you mention.
snow conditions
How hard core would I need to be to go? Would love to hook up with someone/a few who knew what they were doing at some point.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, The stuff I did in Shropshire last Jan was OK. The steepest was The Lawley at about 30 deg (according to the OS map), but up in Wales I'd imagine that you could pick and choose when the conditions are right and being higher they should be right for longer. Old ski's are probably a good idea.
ski holidays
i would love to get in on this aswell but as ive never really been off piste it may not be a great idea!!! Puzzled
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Pre-dawn sortie lined up if the snow comes.

Will give me plenty of time in the hills and time to get to Cardiff to see Wales v NZ. Thank goodness it's a 5:15pm kick off Smile

It's my birthday Saturday, turns in the Beacons and a first win against NZ in my lifetime would be an unforgettable day snowHead Very Happy

I dont want to spoil your potential "best birthday ever" but from the performance I witnessed at the Millenium Stadium last Friday eve things will need to be very different to trouble the All Blacks Sad

Having said that, you never know.........C'mon Cymru Very Happy
snow report
david@mediacopy wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, The stuff I did in Shropshire last Jan was OK. The steepest was The Lawley at about 30 deg (according to the OS map), but up in Wales I'd imagine that you could pick and choose when the conditions are right and being higher they should be right for longer. Old ski's are probably a good idea.

I've kept my old B2s for just such an occasion Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Roger C
Was there last Friday. Bloody rubbish. Can always live in hope though. Much like waiting for waist deep in Wales.

Shimmy Alcott, david@mediacopy, Ricklovesthepowder & Scarpa
Can only speak for The Brecon Beacons, and there are slopes to suit all ability levels and very obvious. Did 16 days last winter and barely a scratch. The conditions were that good.
snow conditions
Mike Pow, yep, even Shropshire Skiing was pretty uneventful when it came to damage, even when things got marginal.

Scarpa, B2's - perfect...
snow report
All... I've climbed most of the easy gullies in Snowdonia over the years, they are pretty easy to find from the top in good vis but when the mist is in it can be tricky. Also on weekends they often have a continuous stream of people coming up them.

Here's a vid from 2006 of someone skiing it. Although I've seen that edge as a 6 foot overhanging cornice.

http://youtube.com/v/enX1w0LnkKQ

This is from a walk but in the first few seconds the dot on the i follows the line of the gully. It's about 800 feet.

http://youtube.com/v/llVWNxi5C8g
snow conditions
A few more pics of the gully...

Banana topping Laughing
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=110494

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=127482

B Gully around the corner
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=139554

Photo showing Y Garn gullies about 2 pages down on this site.

http://rockclimbinguk.co.uk/an-introduction-to-welsh-winter-climbing/

And finally the whole of Banana gully in thin snow conditions... the narrows in the middle would probably be the crux.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=126110
snow report
Yes please
snow report
Scarpa, Cheers snowHead "let snow, let it snow...."
latest report
banana gully now on the list Cool
snow report
If there's a massive cornice when we all go up (hint hint) we can build a bollard and ab the entry unless anyone fancies a 15 foot drop onto a 60%+ slope Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, harnesses and everything snowHead
snow conditions
It seems silly to say it, but I'm more excited at the prospect of UK skiing than the Alpine stuff I'm hoping for Toofy Grin
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
If there's a massive cornice when we all go up (hint hint) we can build a bollard and ab the entry unless anyone fancies a 15 foot drop onto a 60%+ slope Twisted Evil

Would there be anything that i could come and do for the day with you lot when you go, never skied off piste before and i dont have my own skies but i have my own boots, and more than willing to give it a go. would love to say ive been skiing in Wales. snowHead
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, You could probably do the bottom half but the walk in is totally different. I'm only just past beginner stage on the off piste myself but on this terrain you need to be ok with ice axe braking, kicking steps or walking with crampons and general winter conditions. If we could get someone else at your level you could walk in with them, climb part way up the more gentle lower half and ski that but to be honest the big Snowdonia mountains are a bit too rocky apart from the steep gullies to ski.

However, there are loads of gentle hills around me... Moel Famau (about 8 miles from Chester) got lots of skiing and boarding on the slopes last winter and would be a suitable place to learn. I'm intending to get out if we get a good dump and would be happy to meet up. Places near Bala are also suitable... just a bit of a hike up, it'll be walking boots and carry the ski gear in a sack.
snow conditions
I too will be up for any uk trips out,its all about the weather but it would be fantastic for everyone to get out together and meet up count me in.
latest report
BDWB - Big Dump Welsh Bash Toofy Grin
snow report
BDWB Im on it. Laughing
snow conditions
BDWB - me too!!
snow conditions
Scarpa, sounds great, whenever you fancy a slide on a local hill that doent involve all of the above lol, then let me know, i live in west manchester (M28) so i can be in chester within 40 minutes and bala in under 1hr 30 so i will certainly be up for it, keep me updated of when you are going. Would be great to ski in Wales!!! Im sure milnerhome would be up for it aswell.
snow report
YAY!!! Dig out them old rock hopping skis Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Any snow Scarpa?

Nothing in the Beacons yet.
latest report
There is a light covering of snow around Snowdon
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy