Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Cymru 10/11 - Eto, os gwelwch yn dda! (Wales 10/11 - Again, if you please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Was up Pen y Fan this morning. A470 no real problem and car parks reasonably clear. Whilst calm and pleasant at valley level conditions above 800m on the tops where pretty bad - near gale force. Sort of amusing to be on the Bwlch Duwynt and pushed along on ski's with the touring skins still on! Alot of snow has been blown off but difficult to tell where the good accumulations where from the peaks due to the poor vis thus did a simple ski back home. Pen y Fans NW face will have to wait another day (was the hopeful target of todays adventure). Hopefully the wind will have dropped and clouds lifted for the other hopefuls boot packing up after me - hope you had fun guys.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Were you all in black JulesC? If so, saw you coming down. Shouted over but the wind was blowing so hard the words never carried.

Blowing like crazy and zero visibility up on Pen-y-Fan.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just got back from Pen Y Fan - no skiing but a somewhat painful (wind chill probably hitting -15 at the top) walk to the summit and jog back down. Lots of people out and about and the most numbers of skiers and snowboarders I've ever seen but quite pleasantly the car park at Pont ar Daf wasn't too busy.

A470 generally fine but only one lane through most of the dual carriageway back to the M4.

From what I could see whilst snow was good probably not great for skiing if you want to pick up speed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the 'other hopefuls' JulesC mentions are me and my friend. Walked up to the top of the ridge on Pen-y-fan but it was so cold and windy we didn't bother going any further.

Photo doesn't really capture the strength of the wind..

Traversed along the ridge (via the plane!) and bumped into Mike Pow and then attempted to ski down in the crusty snow.

On the way home along the A470 just past Nant Ddu we spotted a nice looking slope on the left side of the road. Snow was amazing!

Fun day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, the conditions at the tops were poor today, with hill fog and strong easterly winds blowing around the spindrift. Why is the col of Bwlch Duwynt and the adjoining ridge of Corn Du so damn windy? More so than the summit plateau of Pen y Fan, which seemed relatively sheltered. I was brought to my knees this morning with my rucksack on my back as I came over the ridge. Very disappointed that I woke up shrouded in hill fog as I was hoping to take some decent pictures up there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got back from Pen Y Fan too. We hiked up to the plane and skied back to the car park. Wind still bitter but the sun was out by around 3pm. Breakable wind slab - tricky but fun snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just got back from pen y fan as well there were only pockets of snow, ended using the path to snowboard down (obviously giving way to walkers etc) because the snow was settling out due to it being lower most the time, think the snow was better a 2 weeks ago more even coverage, arsecaptain that fields a looks good well spotted think you got the best of it
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw you running nigelpm. Fair play.

Sorry I missed you Sharkymark. Next time.

Good to meet you ArseCaptain and your mate. What was his name again? For the pics.

That field did look great. Couldn't stop unfortunately.

Did get to ski Aberdare pow again though. And this time I got a lift to the top Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Good to meet you ArseCaptain and your mate. What was his name again? For the pics.

We're both called Tom. makes things simple Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am his friend Smile

Nice to meet you too, thanks for taking some shots!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool. Good to meet you both. Going through the weekend pics now. Will post anon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pictures from Pen-y-Fan today and last night;

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=316316&id=510590995&l=a5fd0d33ff
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some Photos from today

IMG20101219_001
IMG20101219_003
IMG20101219_006
IMG20101219_008
IMG20101219_009
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Were you all in black JulesC?

That was me - almost met up then Mike Pow but not quite! As ever a worthy adventure today despite conditions not being as good as hoped. Fortunately got some better turns in on saturday on my local hill, The Garth, just outside Cardiff. That field near the Nant Ddu did look good - should have stopped.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We saw that field too but it was well tracked out as we didn't arrive until 2 pm
snow conditions
Met office forecast have started issuing warnings of more heavy snow for south wales tomorrow afternoon!
latest report
Nuking in Aberdare since 8:30

As heavy if not heavier than last Friday snowHead

Day off today to let it accumulate
ski holidays
Skinned up a local hill yesterday - the only other tracks were those made by sheep wink

ski holidays
Got our pictures taken by a photographer from the Western Mail: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/

She had us pose for a few photos, not sure where they'll appear...
latest report
ArseCaptain, nice pics above. Wish we'd stopped ourselves as that wind slab was hard work...

Puking in Bristol too now Shocked
latest report
Nicely done Hofmeister. Snow looks fabulous. Where please?

Fair play ArseCaptain. Made the trip worthwhile Smile Can't see your pic though.

Would have loved to be up in the Air Ambulance helicopter

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/multimedia/news/images/2010/12/17/winter-weather-pictures-91466-27843832/

Still nuking here snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Fair play ArseCaptain. Made the trip worthwhile

The picture is on the main page, there's a image slider thing with 3 different images/stories - we're the first snowHead
snow report
Great pic. Jammy sod Wink

Looking a lot more comfortable than up on Cefn Crew Wink
latest report
Mike Pow, Tanat Valley in the Berwyns at Pennant Melangell - the hill reaches 500m but alas no name on the OS map but is between Blaen y Cwm and Cwm Nantewyn
ski holidays
Yours to name then Smile
snow report
Just stopped snowing here at MQ.

11cm so far today.
ski holidays
According to OS Street View it's called Moel Blaen-y-cwm or Moel Gwylfa.
ski holidays
altis, you got it - must be going blind as I missed it the first time I looked at the map or maybe its because I am trying to keep it all for myself wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Staying in Beddgelert over New Year, who knows of any reasonably accessible slopes nearby? snowHead
snow conditions
do other people record gps tracks when the walk ski etc, thought it might be interesting see what the total distance we covered on sunday
snow report
Quote:

do other people record gps tracks when the walk ski etc, thought it might be interesting see what the total distance we covered on sunday

I normally take a gps tracker with me to geo-tag photos, but I forgot to turn it on this weekend Sad
latest report
I did but forgot to turn it off before getting into the car...
snow report
easily done, i think it would be good if you could edit the tracks, start and stop points etc
latest report
[/quote]

Staying in Beddgelert over New Year, who knows of any reasonably accessible slopes nearby?

Llyn Ogwen is good, I'm hoping to get up there next week - possibly new years day Smile

u wanna hook up?

Jonny
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
I did but forgot to turn it off before getting into the car...

So your route took you down Pen-y-Fan and straight to the nearest garage? wink
snow conditions
if anyone's heading up pen y fan anytime soon, I left my black led mini maglite about 30 metres south (ish) from the summit cairn on Sunday morning. probably burried under a foot of snow by now Sad
ski holidays
dr_robotnick, if you want somewhere close and quiet with the caveat that conditions stay good and you have a touring set-up head towards Croesor (if the road is passable) and from there it is a shortish trip towards Cnicht and that end of the Moelwynion. Mainly heather/bog with few rocks so scope your line and start climbing. Without touring kit suggest you head towards Rhyd Ddu and choose your route but be prepared for a tough hike from the road and crampons maybe needed if you follow the well used paths.

If you don't mind travelling a bit further and don't mind a few people around and possibly the best lines tracked, head towards Carneddau. These are some of the highest hills in Wales (over a 1000m) but less rocky than some and generally hold their snow well - just look at the map and choose the most likely looking slopes.

Sorry can't meet up as we are in France next week - if I could count on current conditions I would not bother wink
snow conditions
SATURDAY 18 DECEMBER 2010

Wales got hit.

Measurements taken at MQ in Aberdare.

10cm overnight Thursday 16 December into Friday 17 December
19cm throughout the day on Friday 17 December

Currently nuking Hokkaido style in the pre-dawn streetlight illuminuted darkness.

This is the most snow I've seen in my street since the early '80s, and if the snow continues as forecast will surpass the December '78 into January '79 depths when I was off school for three weeks straight (the fact that the school burned down just before Christmas helped too).

My guess to the only chance of getting in to the Beacons today is on the Brecon Mountain Railway Santa Express if it's still running.

http://www.breconmountainrailway.co.uk/index.html

I called them yesterday afternoon but got to answer.

Currently A470 between Merthyr and Brecon is closed so too the A465 between Merthyr and Dowlais Top.

If the snowfall in Aberdare is any indication on the snowfall in the Brecon Beacons - and it usually is - then we could see extraordinary coverage.

2010 has been the year of snow in this part of the world, with 7 of the 12 months experiencing snowfall and offering up 6 non-consecutive months of skiing (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, Nov, Dec).

The slopes above Aberdare will be signed very soon, and then hopefully over to the Beacons if the roads are open.

To accompany today's turns

Home - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros (live on KCRW)

http://youtube.com/v/sRA5S59KjwY&feature=related

The Graig Montet

I'm currently living in the family home I grew up in at the foot of The Graig - the mountain to us, a hill to most - separating Aberdare and the town of Maerdy in the Rhondda valley.

As a boy I would explore the woods, the quarry, and the open slopes of The Graig in all seasons and if my brothers, friends and I were lucky there would be enough snow at some stage during the winter to enable us to sledge Monk St, Piggy's Tip and The Graig.

To combat the cold and wet of typical Welsh snow we'd wear woolen gloves under washing up gloves with the cuffs secured by sellotape or electrical tape and be out until dark.

During the winters I've spent at home since I learned to ski I've often daydreamed of skiing The Graig and continuing down Monk St back to my house, but any snow that's fallen in Aberdare has never been enough and hasn't stuck around long enough to harden and create a base.

With the roads into the Brecon Beacons closed, today was the day to see if daydreams could become reality.

I set off from my house just before 8am, The Graig shrouded in mist. A pale, blue light was trying to penetrate the gloom.

Looking back down Monk Street

The 'closed' mountain road to the top of The Graig and over to the Maerdy

Half way up the sun was doing it's best to penetrate the mist

After a brief flurry the mist lifted and Aberdare came in to view

Looking down on the tracks from the first run. The snow was unbelievable. Boot top to knee deep cold smoke. As light as any snow I've had on Hokkaido and the best snow I've skied in Wales bar none. Even got a couple of face shots.

Each run consisted of a couple of turns on the snow covered tillings of the quarry at the top of The Graig, followed by clicking out and jumping over the wall, click back in then ski the top farmer's field, through the gate and in to the lower field.

The view from the top before the final run

On the way down I met a family from the Gadlys in Aberdare on their way up to board.

Had to click out twice to get over fences, but was able to ski right back to the top of Monk St.

Monk St had been plowed and gritted, but there was still enough snow on the pavement.

Failed to exceed the 30mph speed limit on Monk St and fire the speed camera - maxed out at 24 mph.

And half way down I got a gut full of snow from a guy who was shovelling the path from his front door. I don't know who was more surprised!

A magic morning.

I called in to Rod Smith's house on the way up to afternoon turns in Dare Valley country Park, and was greeted with mulled wine and bacon sandwiches from his wife Jacqui. Ski lunch Aberdare style!
snow report
SUNDAY 19 DECEMBER 2010

The A470 between Merthyr and Brecon had re-opened late Saturday afternoon so I organised with two non-skiing friends of mine to drive over early Sunday morning.

Got picked up by Dave Mear and Simon Blinkhorn in Dave's 4x4 van and the three of us drove over to the Brecon Beacons intending to walk to the summit of Pen-y-Fan with Dave on hand to take pics.

The road over was very good and we got to the toilets car park without incident.

After Saturday's excellent turns in Aberdare, my expectation level for longer, steeper powder runs was off the charts.

It was significantly colder and windier than conditions in Aberdare as we started the walk to the summit

About half way up the weather closed in and Dave and Simon decided to turn around. But not before Dave managed to get a couple of pics.

The windier conditions in the Beacons had compacted the light, dry powder from the previous three days and it was quite a comedown to be skiing breakable crust over cold smoke. It did have its moments though.

I continued upwards for Pen-y-Fan but with very little visibility at the summit turned around pretty quickly.

On the way back to the car I met up with Tom and Tom from the snowheads forum

We skied down together in what felt like the inside of a golf ball. The visibility improved the lower we got and the boys started getting the hang of Beacons crust

Drove back to Aberdare and got one lap in from the top of The Graig. But unlike yesterday, Dave drove me to the top. Perfect.
snow report
MONDAY 20 DECEMBER 2010

Another day of sustained, feather dry snowfall in Aberdare, with 11cm falling at MQ during the day.

FRIDAY 24 DECEMBER 2010

'Twas the night before Christmas.

Took a drive over to the Brecon Beacons to see if Monday's snowfall and time had improved conditions and taken care of the wind crust.

It was a glorious, sunny morning with very few people out in the hills. Got to the top of Pen-y-Fan and decided that the steep NW face of Cribyn might be ready for a 1st Descent.

Skied down from Pen-y-Fan to the old Roman road at the base of Cribyn's west facing flank and the crust was still very much in evidence. Wide, patient turns were the order of the day.

Got to the summit of Cribyn and from above it looked like there was enough coverage to make it doable.

I made a few side slips and one turn on the NW face but unfortunately the snow - which was between 20-30cm deep - was unconsolidated and each movement resulted in the skis hitting the very rocky bottom and the snow sloughing below me taking the top 10cm or so off the surface. Discretion was the better part of valour and I clicked out and booted it back to the summit ridge. Cribyn will have to wait for another day.

Looking back to the NE face of Pen-y-Fan the conditions were the same. From a distance there appeared to be more than enough coverage but because the snow had come down dry and light it hadn't covered up the rock bands lining the face.

The NE Face of Pen-y-Fan, Cwm Sere and the shadow of Cribyn from the summit of Cribyn

With the NW Face of Cribyn earmarked for another day I skied the west facing flank back to where I started walking up.

Half way down I set up the tripod, and using a remote shutter release managed to get this shot with the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan in the background. The slope was firm and smooth with a dry, powdery surface. Lower down the snow was less wind affected and afforded a ski penetration of about 10cm

The Mountain Rescue Team had been out all morning on a training exercise practicing flying close to the summits and steeper faces in preparation for winch rescues.

As much as I indicated, they wouldn't land where I was and take me back up to Cribyn for what would be the first heliskiing operation in Wales!

Mountain Rescue Helicopter above the NW Face of Cribyn

After seeing such exemplary flying skills over Cribyn I made my way back home but not before seeing an example of what rough weather in the Brecon Beacons can do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11849888

The turns back to the car park on Cefn Crew were much better than the previous Sunday, the snow firmer and more consistent. The undercut banks high above the Blaen Taf Fawr river had developed some enormous icicles, some 4-5m long.

I set up the tripod again and got this series of shots

A fabulous way to spend Christmas Eve.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy