Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Cymru 10/11 - Eto, os gwelwch yn dda! (Wales 10/11 - Again, if you please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
yes, wont be in here early enough so I will do it now - Penblwydd Hapus xx

Chamcham,where are you from?

Born in the Rhondda (not a million miles away from Mike Pow), moved to the Vale of Glamorgan, went to school in Tonyrefail, exiled down south to the New Forest 20 years ago (I see myself as a missionary to the heathen), and still supporting the Scarlets (who, incidentally, have beaten the All Blacks in my lifetime).

And you?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SATURDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2010

Quick update.

Top to bottom coverage in the Pen-y-Fan area. Snow / grass hybrid that made for smooth, quick skiing. The snow was almost too good - light, dry powder. Needs some heavy, wet snow to create a base.

Zero visibility on the way up and most of the way down, but clearing as we - Iwan from Snowheads, and Chris & Ben from Goneboarding - got to the bottom.

-7 C to start, warmed up to -3 C by the time we left at 9:30 am

Hopefully a cold, clear day and night will firm up the snow.

November turns in snowHead

Definitely worth a visit later today or tomorrow (supposed to be clear and sunny) if just for the views.

Pics to follow. I'm off to the match.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ Nice one Mike, once I have touring skis and gear sorted out I might be up but what with being in Aviemore and stuff might not be until January ... let's hope it lasts! Very Happy

BTW, looking forward to the photos, always look forward to your photos! Toofy Grin

Have a good match!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastic fun! Thanks Mike!
I've now been lucky enough to meet and ski with one of my skiing heroes and a skiing legend!
Great to meet Cris and Ben too!
Brings a whole new meaning to the term "skiing".
When you've got the hang of skiing heavy wet snow and breakable crust it's time to step up and have a go at lightly dusted grass!
I was grinning from ear to ear all the way down (apart from when the tips wedged in some dense grassy tufts)!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds great guys, you went up bloody early didnt you? Commitment that it lol!Get the pics uploaded!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chamcham, ah, i'm from North Wales - Pwllheli. Moved to Uni in Manchester and stayed there for 10 years, now live in South Cheshire. Mum and Dad and bro still live in Pwllheli though and have a sister that lives in Mid Wales.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is a few photos i took around Snowdonia yesterday afternoon

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So beautiful.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ yeah, saw them on the other thread you posted them and my reaction there was the same as here - GORGEOUS! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For those who skiied (at pen-y-fan) today, which 'slope' did you go down? I went there this afternoon, brought skis but thought it didn't quite look snowy enough! Had a nice walk up to the top and took some photos when the cloud cleared (around 3pm).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 27-11-10 19:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How much snow is there in North wales???
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Myself and gf went up this afternoon: no vis and bitterly cold at the top. Decided to ski Cefn Crew, via a visit to the recently crashed piper near the saddle. Wind had scoured a lot of the powder off but still retained by grass. Temps below freezing so still light and dry. Skiing was challenging but rewarding back to the carpark. We picked up Mike's tracks near the bottom and followed them in. Epic snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh.... for the gullies in Snowdonia... I can book my MC club hut or the PYB (which we had to give back when the lease ran out sob sob) so that it becomes a proper weekend trip. We can then make an early start and get up there before the routes get crowded.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome stuff chaps.

Judging by the comments above in that the Brecon are covered I'd say Snowdonia is likely to have an even better covering.

-4C in Bristol tonight - bwwwr!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its -4c already here in manchester. Im off walking with 3 other lads tomorrow up near Yad Moss and i have thrown the Skis in the car just incase i can get a few turns in!!! I will report back tomorrow on the appropriate topic, maybe head to wales next weekend!!!
latest report
rsnigelpm, Until we get a proper frozen base we may well rip the arse out of our skis on the rocks... I'm not sure until I get up there how deep the snow is and there are a lot of pointy hard things sticking up just below the surface even at the best of times.
latest report
Some photos from around Pen y fan yesterday:

ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

OK around Beddgelert forest its 5" of Powder and a little more in places.
Here are some more photos i took while i was out walking in the forest. It truly beautiful up here at the moment.
snow report
Take care:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11854389

Some flying hey!
snow report
Wales had its coldest ever November temperature overnight, at -17c.
ski holidays
Yes i heard that on the news this morning, it was Llysdinam in Powys.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11856728
ski holidays
Great pics guys.

Had a big one after the match in Cardiff last night Smile Just got home.

Will put the pics up later this evening.
latest report
Llawer o eira n Nghaerdydd a hyn o bryd. Bendigedig!!
ski holidays
Took some snowboards up to the Horseshoe Pass on Saturday. Lovely snow - it was surprisingly fast and got better the more times we went down! Had a really fun time. If there is more snow up there this week I think another little jolly is on the cards for next weekend Very Happy
snow conditions
SATURDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2010

Opening Day in The Brecon Beacons massif Wink

Iwan on the summit of Pen-y-Fan

The sun finally broke through as we descended from the summit of Pen-y-Fan. A warming winter sun on Fan Fawr

Iwan on the lower flanks of Cefn Crew. Fan Fawr in the background

The river forded Chris and Ben strap in to hit the bottom section of the Cefn Crew run out

Ben riding the snow / grass hybrid of Cefn Crew

Chris riding the snow / grass hybrid of Cefn Crew

Chris, Iwan & Ben back at the base after a very enjoyable first day out

Great to meet up with Chris, Iwan & Ben. Always better to make turns with company. And nothing better than birthday turns in Wales.

Thanks for the peanuts too Iwan.

Here's to many more this winter.
latest report
thunderer wrote:
mark handford, Hi, what do you reckon the best (safest) way of walking up to Pen yr Helgi Du, is it straight up the Y Braich ridge ???, the ski route - down looks to be the ridge and then off towards the road up to Llugwy Reservoir

Do you think ice axe and crampons req'd ???? or otherwise I thought Moel Ellio a possability ???. looks a safer ascent

Just walk straight up the access road for the Resevoir then , if the slope is safe, head up the side of the braich to the top of Helgi.
Ski descent is back donw 'Y Braich' with some steeper ground on the south west side of the hill.

Campons and axe, safest routes - well this depends on conditions on the ground on the day, if the slope is rock hard neve then crampons may be needed as well as walking axe - its offpiste, so winter mountaineering kit should be available.

I only mentioned Helgi Du as its good access and a nice slope for novices with steeper stuff on either side for those who want to push their skills a little.
snow report
So then, snow conditions in Snowdonia - Looking at Mikes pics I would say its exactly the same as Brecon Beacon.
Again its been very dry and cold so all snow is loose and powder, a touch of surface hoar in the mornings, its too dry to bond on to the heather/grass at the moment, although higher up the ground is frozen harder and this is giving some good mixed/turf climbing routes.

A thaw is needed or a dump of much wetter snow. So keep watching the forecast as we need a cold front to come from the north west for some moisture in the snow, not this easterly dry air.

So for me its all win win, as the cold dry temps give me great scope for ice and mixed climbing and when the weather turns the possibility of skiing Smile

This is from yesterday looking towards Pen yr Ole Wen, Carnedd Dafydd and Carneddau

From Snowdonia Adventures Winter walking and climbing
ski holidays
mark handford, thanks for info, looks like a wait for more snow, but still plenty of time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just moved to Brecon and keen to take advantage of the mountains and snow on the doorstep. What kit would people recommend for skiers, snow shoes or skins and touring kit for going up?
snow report
Bootpacking works 90% of the time. Or 100% of the time if you don't have snowshoes / touring gear Wink
ski holidays
Looks like you had a lot of fun on Pen y Fan. Having said that, I'm glad I didn't make the six hour round trip for the "snow/grass hybrid!"

Although there is more snow forecast for this week - maybe next Saturday? I'll keep watching the forecast...
latest report
MONDAY 29 NOVEMBER 2010

Unable to get over to the Beacons this morning, so took a walk in my local country park instead. A great covering for late November, but unfortunately not enough to ski.

Sunrise at the top lake, Dare Valley Country Park, Aberdare

There is an old saying "If ice in November be thick enough to hold a duck, the rest of the winter will be all slush and muck".

Thankfully the ice isn't thick enough yet and we may see another great winter.

Mountainside reflection in the top lake, Dare Valley Country Park, Aberdare

The view of the Darren and Bwllfa Dare looking across the top lake at Dare Valley Country Park, Aberdare

Drove over to the Black Mountain in the afternoon to make some turns. Plenty of snow on the slopes off Fan Brycheiniog I've been scoping the past couple of weeks. Aesthetically the slopes off Fan Brycheiniog down to Llyn y Fan Fawr are best at sunrise so I left those for another day.

Continued up the A4067 to the road side shots off Fan Gyhirych overlooking Cray Reservoir.

5 mins before parking in the lay-by this is the view that greeted me

Fan Gyhirych

Twenty minutes later and half-way up the hill this is what it looked like. Welcome to Brecon Beacons weather.

Lower slopes of Fan Gyhirych overlooking Cray Reservoir

The top half of the hill (150m vertical) had a good covering that was negotiable with oil tanker turns. The next 100m vertical was like walking through seaweed. One second smooth as, the next second the skis getting tangled in the grass tufts. Walked the remaining 100m vert back to the car.

There was some serious surface hoar formation lower down.

TUESDAY 30 NOVEMBER 2010

The temperature has risen and it snowed approx 20cm in the past 24 hrs in the Brecon Beacons. Hopefully this has been wetter, heavier snow that will freeze and set up and which will provide a better base for turns.
snow report
iwan
that jacket makes you look fat![/url]
snow report
Hello. all

Just had to cancel a trip to see some family so now thinking about spending a couple of days walking sliding around the beacons, does anyone have info about current snow depth as storey arms cam seems to be put out of action
latest report
Looking at the forecast for the next 24-48 hrs, it seems likely that there might be some light snow overnight, and then the temeratures rise through tomorrow.

Is anyone planning to be on Pen y Fan first thing Saturday?
ski holidays
reasonable snow falling in the brecon beacons at the moment, not sure about tomorrow as rain has been forcast quite widely
latest report
We had 1" of snow last night and it froze over night. I'm sure there will be much more on the hills. Forecast today is sleet on lower ground but snow on high ground. Forecasters are now saying this cold weather could last into the New Year.
snow conditions
Been up twice more this weekend. More snow each time. On Friday, skied down to the Storey Arms. No photos, very little visibility and very bleak up top.

Today was much nicer. Headed up with andyevs.

If you scroll backwards through the linked photos in the snow media zone, the last but one shows mist rolling over Corn Du when viewed from Pen y Fan and the last photo was taken off the west face of Corn Du/Cefn Crew

Skied all the way back to the carpark again. Back at the car by 4pm (dusk) and met Ben (snowboarder). Asked him where he'd been and he said he'd only just arrived and was just about to head up! Must have been pretty dark by the time he got to the top!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 5-12-10 20:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Great pics Iwan.

Wow what a difference in a week.

Can't wait until next weekend.
ski holidays
Thanks Mike.
In truth, average photos (phone cam), fantastic scenery. Andyevs has photos of us sitting on the upturned, crashed light aircraft that came down a week or two ago. Will post when he sends them to me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy