Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Ski Academy

Poster: A snowHead
Little Patch (Oliver) will attending the British Ski Academy in Les Houches for a few weeks next season.

Has anybody got any experience with this, and could give an independent view on what he can expect?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Patch, no sorry. But there'll be no chance of anyone else winning the EoSB race next year then!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The flying bogee (AKA 2009 under 18's EOSB gold medal or more accurately huge milka chocolate bar holder) did about 20 days with them when we did our season in St Gervais. Overall we'd give it mixed reviews. Much better skiers in term time than at holiday times. Kids and coaches all friendly and inclusive Pretty accurate diagnosis of strengths and development areas. (not that I know, but consistent with ESF and Easiski) A fairly balanced mix of whooping around the mountain and drills, No ski care support. Not great feedback as to what he needed to do next to improve. Awful communication with parents (timings, feedback lunch money requirements etc) -less of a problem if he's living in of course.

James is in France on a school trip until the middle of next week. When he gets back I'll try and get him to give the 'user view ' - but having developed an allergy to writing (I think it's called becoming a male teenager) I won't promise! Happy to ask him any specific questions that Oliver has though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
they used to be the only game in town but have a bit of pressure from other training set ups (Ambition) long pedigree of developing talent and very good coaches and from what i hear are raising their game due to competition. I work regularly with one of their younger coaches and he is excellent..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Patch, The BSA is the best place for any British kid to spend time during the winter months to improve their alpine racing and carry on with the GB school system. It is set up for ski racers not just a ski school to improve young skiers ability, although that of course does happen.
They have been going for 10 years at Les Houches and have produced numerous British champions in Children, Junior & Senior age groups some of who now race at World cup level.
The set up at Les Houches is in their own hotel where all their schooling is done too. The average class size is 5-6 kids per teacher. There are normally around 6 teachers plus a house mother and 2 assistants. There is also a full kitchen staff of around 3-4, with normally around 30 ish kids between 7 - 16 there at any time.
The coaching is excellent with around 5 coaches all season having groups of about 5-6 kids depending on ability.
In my opinion there is no better academy run by British for British kids to train to be a ski racer.
Yes there are always a few problems, with communications being probably the most annoying. But on the whole it just can't be beaten. Other academy's have come and gone but none have really been able to beat the BSA.

My 2 youngest spent a number of full winter seasons there. TJ from age 11-15 and Alice from 13-14 (only stopping through injury). They both loved every minute of it. Really missing it when they came home. They always came back to their home school ahead with all of their work and the school were always very impressed with the BSA's teachers.

Their skiing improved amazingly. After the first season there TJ won 2 English champs and was runner-up at the British Children's Champs. Alice was also runner-up at the British children's champs after her first season.
TJ is still registered as a BSA racer on snow even though he hasn't trained with them for 5 years as he's full time on the GB team.
I am probably biased but I wouldn't have sent them anywhere else to train. Some kids don't like it because there is some discipline! But most love it and come home better children.

PM me for any questions or concerns you have
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Patch, Isn't there any training he could do in the 3V if you live there ? Maybe with Moutiers rather than Meribel if he is just starting.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few years ago a friend's son won all the races in his age group at the British Juniors, and some races and poidiums in the age group above.
The BSA said they did not want him as his style was "too Swiss".

So if you are happy for your kids to have that all important Brit Style (and probably never figure in International terms)....go for it!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, TJ never had any other training than British, with BSA & GB team. He was world Junior ranked 13 in Super combined (DH/SG with Slalom) No 21 In Super G & N0 33 in DH. He came 18th at the world junior champs DH last year. He was ranked ahead of all but 4 or 5 Austrian Juniors and would have been in their national team if he were Austrian. He is Now World senior ranked 113 in Super combined and well inside the top 200 for DH & SG and will probably get some World Cup starts this season. Not bad for a Norfolk boy that learnt on dry slope, didn't ski on snow til he was 10 and has that Brit style!!

Don't think the BSA would have refused any British champ because of his style. They love to have all Brit champs train with them. Good PR. Are you sure he won all the British Junior champs? There have only been a couple of Juniors who have won all the champs over the past 20 years (TJ being one, doing it 3 times) and all trained at the BSA, one is now a coach there!

Don't confuse the BSA with GB teams. They are a training academy privately run with no funding at all.
Did he get selected for the GB team? Any British Championship winner will almost certainly be selected for the GB children's or Junior team.
What year did he do it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plugboy, Way to go TJ...impressive stuff indeed. You must be very proud. Fingers crossed he can make it all the way and stay injury free.

Now you mention it maybe it was Team GB, so apologies to BSA.

Henry did the Brit Champs for about three years, his "big" year of results was about 2007 I think (not 100% sure though).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rungsp, check http://www.britski.org/ , it has all the results from that last 7 seasons, Would love to know Henry's last name as as it seems mad to turn down a podium skier for not having a British style.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 16-10-10 9:34; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rungsp, how old was your friends son and how many points did he have? i would be amazed that BSA or any race training set up would not accept someone who didnt "look right" if they were fast...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All

Thanks for all of the feedback

RachelQ I may not let him enter the EoSB race next year wink

Annie, I was hoping you would be able to chip in - Oliver, of course, met the Flying Bogie a couple of years ago at the EoSB (and came 2nd to him in the juniors), so he'd be very interested in James' experience there

skimottaret, plugboy good feedback, thanks. Oliver has a lot of experience, and does about 50 days a season, but has zero race training or competitive experience. The idea behind a stint at the BSA is to see whether he has the skills, aptitude and desire to race, but even if not, I would expect it to add another dimension to his skiing. If he does flourish there, then we'd consider a longer spell next season.

rjs, considered a local club, but rejected the idea for many reasons, which would take too long to go into here
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I should declare an interest here, because Malcolm Erskine is an old friend of mine.
But it is worth making the point that Malcolm, the founder and director of BSA, has direct experience of competition at a very high level. He competed in FIS and Europa Cup downhills for most of the 1980s, achieving a FIS world ranking inside the top 150. He also competed twice in World Cup downhills (Aspen in 1985 and Are in 1990). I realise that personal experience is not the be-all and end-all, but that's a higher level of it than most current UK ski-racing coaches.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and he's a nice bloke.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes he is a very nice bloke. He also has the kids best interest at heart and is passionate about getting them into racing.
He is a very good speed coach too (DH & SG), ask TJ.

Hello Martin. TJ going to both Lake Louise & Beever Creek to do both WC DH training runs with Ed & Doug. Hopefully he may get a start, if he's quick enough.
snow report
Martin Bell, Plugboy, Thanks. I have no concerns whatsoever about the quality of the teaching (neither on nor off the slopes), nor the level of pastoral care. I have been speaking with Malcolm, among others, and Oliver's place is already booked.

Oliver will be boarding there for 4 or 5 weeks and, at 12 years old, it'll be by far the longest period he has spent away from home. I think he will have no problems at all with this, but he would be interested in knowing what to expect, and how to get the most out of his stay.

I wish I could go myself, but I guess I'll have to be content with living vicariously

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-10-10 9:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
tell him to look us up when he gets there, if he ever comes to Cham we will keep an eye on him.
latest report
Plugboy, best of luck to TJ!
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
tell him to look us up when he gets there, if he ever comes to Cham we will keep an eye on him.

poor kid wink wink
snow report
CEM wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

poor kid wink wink

Hey, Oliver's not that bad, SZK should be fairly safe with him wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy