Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria seems reasonable

Poster: A snowHead
Ideas please for a second timer wife and a little treasure who thinks he's Bode Miller snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're after snowsure (ie a glacier); a fair sized (or big) ski area to suit varying abilities; a pleasant town with a decent range of bars and restaurants; and reasonable prices, you could consider Mayrhofen or Soelden. I don't think either would disappoint.

Soell is less snowsure (though with a decent snow record) and would also suit you nicely.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ricfrench, did the first wife go off skiing?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clearly pam w eats, shoots and leaves.

ricfrench, give us a clue - for a start, when were u thinking of going?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ricfrench, Alternatively, if you plan to stick together throughout, choose 'small and charming' (Alpbach, Maria-Alm?). That way you won't be straining at the leash as much! Also your wife and 'Bode' may soon grow out of such places and then you may feel wistful that you haven't seen them. (Having said that, Leogang would be pretty good - they would surely love the Asitz run - once featured in the Sunday Times as one of the best easy/intermediate pistes in Europe; also the fabulous Alte Schmiede restaurant at the top of that run - probably the best in the Ski Circus).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, the clue was in Austria?
pam w, Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ricfrench,

Question from admin: When?

Answer: Austria

Doesn't work for me!!

What are you after? Big ski area, quaint, restaurants, high, low, trees, off piste, good ski school etc etc etc???
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What we would want would be Board(me)/ski(wife and mini me)school in the AM. Family ski in the PM.We would probably prefer half board, as we don't go on hols to do the dishes!.A reasonable amount of life and après is needed. Reasonable quality hotel but not over the top as we will not be there much Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Addition:
It will be feb half term Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ricfrench wrote:
...... and a little treasure who thinks he's Bode Miller snowHead

Does that mean he thinks he skis fast or that he over does the Apres Ski? wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ricfrench, I've only skied in Austria (with kids) last Easter in the Arlberg, but lessons seemed to be all day, take it or leave it (or pay full day and take kiddie out at lunchtime)

We ended up putting our kids in for 3 days, and then skiing with us for 3 days, which worked well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Does that mean he thinks he skis fast or that he over does the Apres Ski?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

ricfrench, you haven't got too long to decide - loads of places are booked up already. How old is mini me? If he's of an age to go to eat in the evening you could always stay in an apartment in a nice resort with lots of restaurants and choose something different every night. Washing up not compulsory!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitzbuehel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you go somewhere like Kitzbuehel with a fantastic array of restaurants it would seem an awful pity to stay in a hotel and be saddled with a half board no choice. My sister swore she saw women in the mountain restaurants there with Gucci moonboots.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zell am See/Kaprun are great places and Kaprun has the glacier for snow sureness - fair number of easy and intermediate pistes too as I recall.

Elsewhere Mayrhofen has Hintertux up the road which is snow sure and has some great skiing and is pretty easy to get to.
latest report
DB,he skis fast and has no real, actual control. Then can sink a beer. Twisted Evil
pam w,half board, to us anyway, means we have more choice, if we want to go out and find something different we can, if we can't be assed then we stay in. Mini me is seven going on twenty!
Would snow sureness be that much of an issue in late feb?
Sorry if these sound a little silly but never been but always fancied it.
Last year we went to Arinsal, Andorra we had a fantastic time,ok the village isn't pretty, the ski area is limited but it was mrs ricfrench's first time and it seemed easy terrain, which it was, she gained confidence and really enjoyed it, so now is the time to try somewhere else, with hills wink
snow report
Quote:

Would snow sureness be that much of an issue in late feb

Well Kitzbuehel is low - I've never been there in winter but my sister has friends there and has been for several ski holidays, and not yet had snow in the town - or great snow on the hill, come to that. But the usually went in mid January; probably February is better. The old town is lovely but for me, on a ski holiday, it's more important to be a bit closer to the action and I'm not remotely interested in shopping and glitz. If I was going to Austria and didn't have a tight budget I'd choose Lech!
snow report
ricfrench, there have been lots of 'where for a family' skiing in Austria recently so look back in the 'resorts' section. I would suggest your most convenient airport destination should be the main deciding factor - Salzburg/Innsbruck etc
ski holidays
i second mayrhofen, loads of places to eat out so id go B+B . the lift pass also include the train that goes back down the valley , so loads of differant resorts to go at(about 10 i think). just booked again to stay at the obermair which is b+b and has a pool ,sauna and steam room. also recommend the pramstraller which is 3 min walk to the train station.
snow report
the Telegraph has quite a good review in it today of Austrain resorts - based upon differing requirements of the skier beginner/family/apres/snow sure etc
snow report
I can recommend Kitzbuhel, Zell am See, Mayrhofen, and the resorts around the Ski Welt see http://www.skiwelt.at for details. And this interactive map is good to see where the resorts are around that area - doesn't include mayrhofen.

http://www.skimap.kitzalps.com/default.asp?Lang=en

All these resorts are at about 700m-800m with the peaks up to 1800m.

I would say Kitzbuhel is the best ski area and if you stay in Kirchberg along the valley, you can access the same ski area and stay there for half the price of Kitzbuhel. Which sounds like it may suit you if you may want to eat out 2 or 3 time in the week. You can get a taxi over to Kitz for the evening and sample the choclate box atmosphere.

Zell doesn't have as much skiing area as Kitz, but is a nice place by the lake with fairly good nightlife.

Mayrhofen has more skiing and is snow sure with the Hintertux galcier and peaks up to 2500m, plus wild apres and nightlife if you fancy it. The big down side for me at mayerhofen was that if you actually stay in mayerhofen the river cuts you off from the ski area so there is no skiing back down, you have to get the cable car back at the end of the day and there were huge ques when I was there.

Mayerhofen info... with a link to an interactive piste map.

http://winter.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/100301/100611/piste_map_mayrhofen.html

Have fun Very Happy
snow report
ricfrench, Feb 1/2 term, the popular Brit resorts will be heaving with school groups. I've done Zell am See several times, and would expect to queue for 30-45 mins to get on the gondola of a morning. If you can find somewhere that the Brits don't go to, then you will have quieter slopes and walk straight onto the lifts.
latest report
Westendorf, part of the Ski Welt (slightly seperated but still linked with lifts/pistes) but has the best of the terrain anyway, also connects to the Kitzbuhel area, stay in the hotel Glockenstuhl (if they have room, most guests seem to have been going there for 10+ years), which has an awesome pool/sauna/wellness area if you need rejuvenating post skiing/apres drinking before your roast venison supper.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy