Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the perfect boiled egg

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if anyone who has done some baking at altitude has found the need to adjust the recipes or cooking instructions? My friend's Parisian grandmother has finally relented and given me a couple of her closely-guarded family recipes to serve with apres-ski teas... Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
limegreen1 wrote:
poaching ? ive been trying that..... add some vinegar to the water and stir it. whilst the water is still turning crack the egg and drop it in. keep the water moving. i think its how to do it to get the grand hotel stylie poached egg ....... unfortunately, my efforts end with a froth of white on the top and a yellow rubber ball floating around..
over to you chalet hosts..
That's the way to do it according to Rick Stein. I find it reliable - use a small saucepan and there's no need to keep stirring after you've dropped the egg in. A big slotted spoon helps when the egg's done.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you can cook eggs?
Why?
They slide down really easyily as they are, straight out of the shell. Just cust the top off, tip into your mouth, swallow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
miranda, oven cooking temperatures are OK - 180 degrees is 180 degrees. I put a little less raising agent. Not scientific, just sort of a bit less.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, thank you, that's what I suspected. I know people talk about the need to make yoghurt cake in ski resorts because of altitude, but I wasn't sure why normal (and far more interesting) cake recipes wouldn't work at those sort of heights... the boulangerie have some fantastic ones that we bought for guests last season, so wasn't sure if I'd have to extract some secret ski village baking method from them!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
miranda, you're not too high - shouldn't have to do anything heroic. I made Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Fruit cake last week, at 1550m, and as it had hardly any raising agent in anyway, just did the straight recipe, and it was perfect. It's exceptionally easy to cook, and delicious. I made it in two loaf tins, rather than one big cake and reduced the cooking time by half an hour.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
down at sea level here in Liverpool my 'never fail, no timer method' is very simple.

1. Eggs not in fridge

2. boil kettle

3. put boiling water in pan- followed by egg- on gas

4. cut bread for toast- make toast

5. butter toast- cut into soliders

6. pour off boiling water- cold water in and out

7. eggs are now perfect

works every time for 1-3 eggs- a bit tricky if more than 3 as more toast-- takes longer so have to take out eggs after making only some of the soliders.

or- poached eggs- a big splash of cider vinegar in teh water - frying pan with boiling water over height of egg- can use a pastry cutter as a barrier- or not

no need to time/guess as you can see exactly when it is done.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MARMITE SOLDIERS
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry, YUK
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
barry, YUM
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
YUM, but only when I'm dieting, as I prefer butter on the soldiers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells, no soldiers at all when dieting, otherwise both butter and Marmite! Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, toast with an egg is a very healthy breakfast.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, I don't diet very much (obviously rolling eyes) but, when I do, find that cutting right back on carbs produces results.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
two beautifully poached eggs for lunch- shallow pan and a little bit of vinegar. no swirling, no rolling boil. Excellent (as was the black pudding to go with it Very Happy )
snow conditions
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Egg Coddler. I got some nice ones in London and I find them absolutely brilliant.
snow report
I have heard of somebody using the kettle to boil eggs. Fill kettle with water, add eggs, switch kettle on. By time the kettle had switched itself off from boiling, the eggs were done.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy