Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 dollarrrs pleeze: how one should ski bumps...

Poster: A snowHead
As I'm afraid I'm a bit of a one trick pony (but, oh, dear me, my oh my, how Mrs UANN likes that trick...) and as we're all clearly a bit bored with the lack of online instruction:

Let me re-introduce my favourite ever exercise (that you can do fully clothed on skis with no visible reproductive organs).

How do you turn on one bump?

Cos, if you can't turn on one bump, how do you expect to ski down many?

Comments, suggestions, ridicule all gratefully received and treated in an appropriate manner.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
much flexion and a little rotation
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
African or European?

Peak, shoulder or trough?

Get the upper body as far forward as possible was the single biggest tip that resonated with me from a very good mogul skier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was "taught" by ESF instructor to, as far as possible, maintain a forward, face down the mountain position from the waist up and steer changes of direction with feet, ankles, knees or something like that. This was at the end of a 2 hour gruelling lesson and I was pretty f****d by then and screaming silently that I effin hate bumps....actually, now I think about it, I may not have been quite so silent...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
avallament!!!

is that spelt right? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One "l" I think. easier to spell than do and I'd rather be able to do it than spell it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fast and out of control, least thats how i was taught Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
avallament!!!

is that spelt right? Puzzled

Avalement I think.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, i'd agree with that although i have had problems with that psychologically since i blew my knee out in bumps (and, to be fair, skiing fat long skis most of the time doesn't really help)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
flex knees/ankles, flatten the skis, really decent pole plant on the downhill face of the bump,slight rotation and side-slipping through the turn, extending as you descend the face of the bump, don't edge/over turn.

Certainly with the kids and wife, if they are having a tricky time, I show them how to do it on a single bump from stationary. then link them together in a slow controlled fashion.

doesn't mean I do it well though!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, i didnt say that was the right way and was messing around a bit! i suck in the bumps but one thing that did help was running rut lines on a flat green/blue pitch as fast as possible. after a few days it was surprising how much change happened and by the end of the week i could go the whole way without getting spit out...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, i found that relaxing and letting things happen helped (until i pinged my knee!). obviously you need a little bit of technique before using that tactic... maybe more than i had
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, you can always come out in a rut line so generally dont get hurt but i wouldnt try it in a proper bumps field...

saying that last summer i was racing a kid through a rut line at hemel i tore my patella, lcl and quad muscle trying to come back in the line after coming out Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The main things I was taught (but have never put into practice)

use fairly flat skis with skiddy turns
suck your feet up and not your body down
drive the tips down over the bump to maintain contact by pulling your feet back
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With a fecking balloon between your knees, if the feckers at Warren Smith are to be believed. The feckers.
ski holidays
Dr John, really ?? they like a wide stance in bumps??
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
With a fecking balloon between your knees, if the feckers at Warren Smith are to be believed. The feckers.

Was this one of the instructors?

ski holidays
Dr John wrote:

What?
ski holidays
Dr John,
Quote:

With a fecking balloon between your knees, if the feckers at Warren Smith are to be believed.

Does this actually work in either real terms or in imagery? My understanding is that the concept is to keep ones knees apart and stop 'A framing. However to actually keep a balloon between your knees you have to provide inward pressure on them to stop the balloon falling out which I would of thought is the opposite of the muscles that you want to use to stop the A frame. I would of thought that having a loose band around your knees and keeping it taut would be a better image? Any opinions?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 13-10-10 11:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Dr John, really ?? they like a wide stance in bumps??

They don't usually. I think they may have been trying to get rid of an A frame; knees apart, ankles together?
latest report
Was about removing the A frame and getting the skis flat. Didn't work for me, must admit. As soon as I ditched the balloon I got the hang of it. This was about 4-5 years ago, they might have refined it since then.
ski holidays
Dr John, that exercise can work to adjust stance width but i would be very surprised they tried that for bumps skiing, was it on piste or in the moguls they had you doing it?
latest report
skimottaret, both. Small moguls, IIRC, but moguls all the same. To the chaps credit he abandoned if after a few choice phrases from myself. The balloon incident notwithstanding, it was a very good day all in all, he eradicated my back seat tendencies by repeatedly shouting "less sh!tting, more f@£king" at me all day and, according to my vastly superior friend, I came off the hill a completely different skier to the one who went up it.
snow conditions
I try not too. I guess I ought to learn though - we were coming down a 30/40m stretch between pistes from the end of the snow park in Les Arcs to the nearby bar this year that was unbashed and sufficiently well skied that it was developing that distinct bump pattern - not huge, not on too steep a slope, but enough that they needed dealing with. At lease now I have the confidence to think 'well let's try', but I recall making a bit of pigs ear of them each time (though not falling). I tend to imagine that they aren't there and try to let a lot of movement get absorbed by using my knee to let the ski sit higher and lower below me. It's not the right way to deal with them, but its what I end up doing. I suppose I had better get them sussed as one day I'll get faced with a load of them and have to deal with them (anyone remember a certain magnificent EoSB and a trip to Orelle? Embarassed )

N.B. My kids haave great fun on them, I think their shorter skis make them easier for them.
snow conditions
T Bar,
Quote:

My understanding is that the concept is to keep ones knees apart and stop 'A framing. However to actually keep a balloon between your knees you have to provide inward pressure on them to stop the balloon falling out which I would of thought is the opposite of the muscles that you want to use to stop the A frame. I would of thought that having a loose band around your knees and keeping it taut would be a better image?
Totally agreed.
ski holidays
Hurtle, T Bar, spot on but watching people tie bungy cords around their knees, ski a bit then A frame and end up with their trousers round their ankles and crash at high speed although entertaining can involve a hospital trip wink
snow report
skimottaret, I'm sure! I expect that's why T Bar said 'better image' - imagining is safer than doing, in this instance.
ski holidays
Alternatively move to Tahoe - ski the Face at Heavenly or West Face KT22 at Squaw everyday. Worked for Plake, Moseley & Shannon Bahrke among others.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was doing a black mogul run in the 3 Valleys back in Jan, and I found myself lifting up one of my skis on some turns if I felt I wouldn't be able to make the turn quick enough. I do use short skis so that probably helped out a lot! I doubt this is the correct approach to use but I don't know otherwise as I've had no formal instruction on how best to tackle moguls. Rob and Scott can sort me out when I attend their clinic in December wink
snow report
fatbob, are there no moguls in Europe?
c0Ka|Ne, will do our best !
Hurtle, it has been known to be tried just like the balloon trick.
ski holidays
Have found that focusing on skiing the backside of the bumps is key for me. Imagine a pressure sensor under your feet and attempting to keep it the same the whole way down. Sucking the feet back under you as you go over the bump and shifting the weight forward, combined with a pole plant on the backside of the bump will allow you to be in a position where you can apply pressure and ski down the back of the bump. Think of a flowing mountain stream rather than skimming a stone.
snow conditions
eclectic, nah mate, load of rubbish, what you want is some balloons...
latest report
Dr John, or a spacehopper...

eclectic, yep, that's it.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
fatbob, are there no moguls in Europe?

Sure - steepish pitch decent length, fast transit - Swiss Wall, Mont Fort, (Tunnel at Alpe D'Huez probably ruled out on transit times) etc. UANN has spent a lot of time in PdS if I'm not mistaken and I'm sure he's got plenty of laps on the Wall under his belt but I'm not sure he's a Lympic medallist or ski icon (except to shs of course wink )
snow report
Mauriennaise in the Orelle Valley (4th valley in the 3V system) gets moguls on its steep half way down pitch following heavy use and no piste bashing. It's a respectable obstacle when it happens.
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:

it has been known to be tried just like the balloon trick.
I can well imagine that you would make someone try to do that. rolling eyes wink
latest report
Find a long black bump field.

Go up and down it for 6hrs a day.

Repeat every day for atleast 2 continuous weeks.
snow report
Whitegold,

very

bad

advice
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Find a long black bump field.

Go up and down it for 6hrs a day.

Repeat every day for atleast 2 continuous weeks.

call knee doctor immediately when you return home

FIFY
ski holidays
fatbob, The Wall sadly has generally poorly formed bumps as there are so many people there who can't ski.

In PDS, Renard above Plaine Dranse top pitch is possibly the ideal bumps run. Chamossiere (black) is pretty good too. In Argentiere the bumps skiers right off Hearse (sp?) are awesome and get very nicely formed as lots of very nice skiers ski them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy