Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baboo Airline in financial difficulties

Poster: A snowHead
Just a warning for those who have booked flight to Geneva from London City with them this winter, in that they are having a few financial problems at the moment and have already cancelled their Winter Charter programme with Kuoni and others to 'Winter Sun' resorts.

We were flying with them to Sharm from Geneva in a month's time, and we got a call from Kuoni to let us know that the flights have been cancelled - obviously at very short notice. Luckily (?) Easyjet had availability so we have managed to switch OK.

I don't think that London City flights are affected at the moment, but it might be worth keeping an eye on it.

It's a pity also as they have been very good when I have used them for the GVA-LCY route on a few occasions, I hope they sort out their financial mess.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitters, plse can you substantiate the comments you have made with reference to a reputable news source - a quick google has not provided any evidence to back up those comments, although if you've been told by Kuoni that the flights have been cancelled, that is obviously concerning...although given they only have a fleet of 5 planes and no plane with more than 100 seats, I would be surprised if it made any sense at all to fly from GVA to Sharm with that few passengers...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, I'm not sure what Kuoni would have to gain by telling us porkies, as they have given us a big refund as we have found our own flights, incidently much cheaper, with Easyjet. As for a reputable source, I can't find one with a quick search, but this website seems to back up Kuoni's comments (see about half-way down this page).

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/348730-flybe-6-a-62.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shame if true.
Used them last year out of Oxford (That's London Oxford...) to Geneva, and they were brilliant. Managed to get a train this year, but hadn't seen anything about an repeat of the Oxford service anyway.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimW wrote:
Shame if true.
Used them last year out of Oxford (That's London Oxford...)

Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They don't seem to be offering flights fom London City to Geneva after early Nov. Have they dropped this route Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lechbob, looks like it's gone - only a few routes from Geneva to French and Italian airports left., consistent with the story I heard about them dropping 2 or 3 aircraft.

I'm amazed if they've dropped the route, it was always packed when I was on it and a great shame as this gives a monopoly on this route to Swiss, and it's always tricky to get a weekend flight back to the LCY at a reasonable price unless you book an age in advance. It was a good airline too.

I imagine there must be a few who have booked Baboo to fly them for their ski hols too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the other hand, this came through this morning:

http://flybaboo.cab01.net/2010/EARLYBOOKING/EARLYBOOKING.cfm?WL=809&WS=145929_601646&WA=597

So still selling stuff for the winter...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimW, yes, but not to London!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone have anymore news on the situation with regard Flybaboo flights to Geneva from City Airport. I booked 6 seats with them for 27th Jan 2011 one way. I have tried to book a seventh seat and suddenly there is no mention of Baboo seats at all on the City airport site or the Baboo site for that time.

I have rung Baboo in Geneva and they say they are waiting for the winter schedules and should be back selling in a week or so. However I have booked paid ( thankfully by credit card ) and printed my e- tickets.

I have just rung City airport information and they said they weren't aware of a problem but would check it out.

It all sounds fishy to me and I'm worried Baboo have big problems.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I noticed that codeshare flights (Air France & Cityjet) have stopped selling these too.

Of all the routes to drop, I would be surprised if London City is one of them as the flights are nearly always full when I've used them, due in no small part to the massive expat and business community out here in Geneva, unless landing taxes are proving prohibitive of course. So I hope for everyone's sake that it is just a hiccup with the scheduling.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 20-10-10 20:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just checked a couple of airline industry news wires and there is nothing at all about any problems at FlyBaboo. They appointed a new CEO in May this year and that was the last time they made the news.

So, there is no particular reason to believe that they are in trouble. On the other hand we have just come through the toughest two or three years in the history of the airline industry and there will almost certainly be more failures to come. Two European airlines have ceased operations in the last week.

Pay by credit card and/or make sure your insurance covers you against airline failure.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If worried, your travel insurance doesn't cover you or you haven't paid by credit card www.protectmyholiday.com do offer insurance for this type of failure - runs from around a fiver.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fly Baboo, have withdrawn from the London City to Geneva route, my understanding is that anyone who has booked with them will be offered flights with another airlines, as there is only one other airline flying from London City, you can guess who it will be.

This route is a tough one to make money on, its predominantly a leisure one, Air France / KLM were on the route and they pulled out, if you look at some of the prices being offered and then subtract the taxes there isn't a lot left.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
radar wrote:
Air France / KLM were on the route and they pulled out.

Talking of Air Chance, I read in a German paper they were having severe financial problems due to the current round of strikes in France. Apparently they are losing more money than during the Icelandic volcano crisis in April.
ski holidays
davidof, doesn't seem to be affecting their share price, its up today and they are a buy recommendation by Deutsche Bank
snow conditions
radar wrote:
This route is a tough one to make money on, its predominantly a leisure one, Air France / KLM were on the route and they pulled out, if you look at some of the prices being offered and then subtract the taxes there isn't a lot left.

I'm amazed if that's the case - there are so many international businesses out here in Geneva/Lake Geneva area, and the region's full of expats, that it was always packed when I used it. Some of the flights if you left it late are incredibly expensive, it would be cheaper to fly to New York.

Air France/KLM and Cityjet have been code sharing with Baboo since Baboo took over the route.
snow conditions
I have two one way flights from London City to Geneva in Jan with Baboo. Coming back with Easyjet to Stansted. Does anyone have anything concrete on Baboo putting us on a Swiss flight? Cannot see that happening myself. As far as I can see these flights have deffo been dropped. I am wondering should I just book new fligths one way with Easyjet...? Puzzled Any up to date news would be appriciated.
snow conditions
Gunner77, Have you called Baboo?
ski holidays
Whitters, AF/KLM had just over a 40% share on the route, but couldn't make enough yield to make it worth while.
snow report
radar. I have not tried to call them yet. Might try them tomorrow. I checked the status of my ticket online and it is confirmed. But the signs are the route is been pulled. Thing is I can find nothing on the website or o the net saying it is been pulled....
latest report
For those of you with Fly Baboo flights booked this is the latest. My m8 in Geneva called them today and no more LCY -> GVA flights after early November he was told. Those people with booking will be contacted next week and they hope they can get you to GVA from other airports in London. Airlines include Swiss, BA and Easyjet. So that is that. Be nice if they emailed passengers with an update!!! Confused
snow report
Update The last date of operation from London City to Geneva will be the 7th November 2010
snow report
I spoke to Baboo yesterday in Geneva by phone. They told me to ring ATPI on 09063022020 and ask for a refund on my 6 seats booked for City to Geneva on 27th Jan 2011. Which i have now done and rebooked from Luton to Geneva with Easyjet. They said it might take upto 12 weeks to get my refund. Bas***ds
snow conditions
From ATI news yesterday:

Baboo axing Embraer 190s in strategic overhaul
David Kaminski-Morrow, London (27Oct10, 15:10 GMT, 193 words)

Swiss regional carrier Baboo is effectively withdrawing the Embraer 190 regional jet from its fleet, and cutting London City and Athens from its route network.

The Geneva-based airline says it is evaluating "strategic options on the future of the company", although it has not disclosed details.

It has three leased Embraer 190s but chief executive Mark Darby tells ATI that the airline is intending "for now" to retain only one of the jets.

He adds that Baboo will only use the aircraft "on some flights, according to demand, and for back-up".

Baboo also uses a pair of Bombardier Q400s for its services.

As part of its corporate review it is axing its London City service on 8 November as well as its Athens service four days beforehand.

"We decided to focus our sales force on our best routes," says Darby, adding that London and Athens have "not achieved the expected results since their launch".

Baboo will continue to operate to 10 destinations, including Geneva, over the winter season.

"We continue to evaluate strategic alternatives and we will not make changes to our structure until the process is finalised," says Darby.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news
ski holidays
Hmmn, typical. I'm from London, and my wife is from Athens. If there were two routes from Geneva that I wanted them to keep it was those rolling eyes
ski holidays
Update on this story. Baboo is merging with Darwin Airline out of Lugano. The current plan is that the Baboo brand will be retained for the foreseeable future but that it will be continuing to operate exclusively smaller aeroplanes. That would suggest that the London services will not be coming back any time soon.
latest report
the latest on Baboo http://genevalunch.com/blog/2010/11/25/darwin-buys-baboo-in-regional-airline-consolidation/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update.

Apti repaid the cost of each flight at £ 94 each for the six seats but have refused to repay the £65 fees. Baboo say they have repaid the cost of the flights and that is that. Apti say if the flight is cancelled, the small print says I get no refund of fees. I have argued that Baboo have cancelled the flights and not me so should receive a full refund but Apti are refusing.

I am furious and Apti and Baboo are passing the buck between them. I am trying to see if my credit card will repay the fees.

AND MOST ANNOYING OF ALL IS BABOO HAVE NOT CONTACTED ME IN ANYWAY TO SAY THE FLIGHTS ARE LONGER OPERATING. I only found out myself when trying to book an extra seat and found Baboo had disappeared from the City Airport website.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy