Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go?? . . . . Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Im brand spanking new on here, & after reading many threads have decided to register.

I have been skiing for about 3 years now & still love it when the winter comes round - however I need some advice of where to go next with 4 friends.

Jan 2010 we went to Meribel Mottaret, it was the best place I have visited to date as we had a pass for all 3 valleys, I especially enjoyed Val Thorens high altitude ski.

Can you suggest a place to visit next Jan please? - we are looking to leave January 7th-11th for 7-10 days - Ski to door would be great.

Any advice appreciated.

Best
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to SnowHeads SkimpyBeardy,
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkimpyBeardy, welcome to snowheads. snowHead You could do a lot worse than go back to the 3 Valleys; you've only scratched the surface! The other obvious contender for a big domaine, high altitude skiing and plenty of "ski to door" is Tignes/Espace Killy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome, SkimpyBeardy. I'd also suggest Tignes/Espace Killy for that time of year - high and snow sure. La Plagne may also be worth a look for the Paradiski.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the welcome, & thank you for the advice Pam & Chasseur - I have a meeting with the lads tonight over a few beers so will have a drool over Tignes, I have already seen a few videos on youtube of some off piste action in Tignes, its look mental.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
what's the budget?

if you're going for 10 days, you'll get some cracking deals on places like Banff and Whistler for that time of year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Shoogly, Its about £1200 all in - would Whistler blow that out the water?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd go to les arcs next. Lots of intermediate skiing there. Then maybe Espace Killy the year after. Val D'Isere has a reputation for being good for experts so I would have thought you'd get more out of it if you did it on your 5th year of skiing..unless you are already very confident and sailing down blacks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's plenty of non-expert skiing in Val D'Isere and Tignes (there must be, 'cos I've done it!) and the latter has heaps of ski in/out options. The off piste can be dangerous though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed in Tignes last year here and had a great time, you could do it easily within budget including everything, lift passes the lot: http://www.igluski.com/tignes/chalet-isabelle_p7412 £615 for the week including flights, transfers, accommodation and chalet board. It is ski in/out, but you do need to cross the road to put your skis on. Another £200 for lift passes and you've got £185 for a week of big lunches and beer, all inside £1K each.

If we hadn't done it last year, and weren't going back this year in Dec, we'd be there again later in the season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Monium Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SkimpyBeardy, do you plan on taking any ski lessons? Ski school quality might be a factor if you do. If you're not looking for ski lessons I'd say that any of the large ski domains would give you similar skiing opportunities to the 3V, especially if you select ski in/out accommodation. Are you looking for catered (chalet or hotel), or self-catered accommodation?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Rob, No neither of us are looking for lessons & we are pretty open to catered or self accommodation, although last time we were in self catering and really enjoyed it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just an idea... this is the first one i looked for...

http://www.ski-i.com/ski-holiday-offers/canada/stay-for-8-nights-get-2-nights-extra-free-book-by-15-dec

but this is the second one i looked for.

http://www.ifyouski.com/canada/banff/irwin's-mountain-inn/dated/4407535/2/15-1-2011.aspx

the offers are out there if you're prepared to take a bit of time searching.

also try the likes of igluski.

Not saying that canada is the right holiday for you, but it can be done on that budget.

We've got courchevel booked within your budget for a week in march including full area lift pass.

might also be worth looking at some of the italian resorts.

or... wait until just after christmas and pick up a cracking last minute deal, then at least you can follow the snow and get the best of both worlds - cheap prices and good snow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We decided last night to visit Tignes & get a full area pass, dates 10th- 17/20th - I will have a gander on the Web for as many deals as I can get, if anyone has been before can you suggest places to eat/visit?

Thanks again for all your help
snow report
If you like Whiskey, try the Alpaka Lodge in Tignes Le Lac. Admittedly, it was 7/8 years ago that I went, but that place had real atmosphere - great roaring fire, Great Dane, great bar, well known for the range of Whiskey stocked. One of the owners is registered here, so may answer any questions you have.....I stayed at the place for 4 nights and can still recall one of the hangovers..... Embarassed Not something I tend to suffer from! Tends to be quite lively and convivial.
latest report
+1 for the Alpaka Lodge. Not stayed there (was in the Aguille Rouge across the road) but it was our local for apres ski and dinner. The mahoosive dog was an Irish Wolfhound when I was there 2 years ago.
snow report
another vote for the Alpaka (based on a trip about 8 years ago anyway!)

rooms are no-frills but comfortable and clean. good food and very nice bar. and it has a bit more atmosphere than most places in tignes
latest report
Dr John wrote:
+1 for the Alpaka Lodge. Not stayed there (was in the Aguille Rouge across the road) but it was our local for apres ski and dinner. The mahoosive dog was an Irish Wolfhound when I was there 2 years ago.

Embarassed you are quite correct.....not a Great Dane at all......It was Max, the Irish Wolfhound, who I think is sadly no longer with us. Believe Oscar is still there, though. Always recall the dog getting the best speck in front of the fire and no-one had the balls to try and move it Laughing
latest report
The Alpaka Lodge sounds like it might be more open to a 10 day stay, too - many of the other places will be Sat/Sat or Sun/Sun weeks only. Might also be worth looking at http://www.mountainsunltd.com/. they do flexible stays and also transfers from geneva, which is very useful indeed (transfers can set you back more than the airfare at times).
ski holidays
When I stayed there, the Aplaka certainly seemed geared to more irregular stay lengths. No idea if this is still the case.
snow conditions
has any one used mountainsun? the costs seem very cheap. I am looking at a cheapish third ski holiday and it ticked the boxes, as long as it is not 45 minutes to the nearest slope etc. I accept when budget comes in yuo have to compromise but the other option is the australian place in Les gets, a vaguely know quantity.
latest report
lightningdan, yes, lots of people here, including me, have used mountainsun - excellent value for money. I've only been there in October, skiing on the glacier, when we got minibussed up to the train. Others will be able to tell you about access in the winter. Highly recommended.
latest report
pam w wrote:
lightningdan, yes, lots of people here, including me, have used mountainsun - excellent value for money. I've only been there in October, skiing on the glacier, when we got minibussed up to the train. Others will be able to tell you about access in the winter. Highly recommended.

Quite agree. We have stayed in Mountainsun in Chalet les Melezes in Oct, Dec and April. You should be able to ski down to the other side of the road to the hotel in January (Les Boisses is at 1850M). Also there is a new gondola open this year replacing the old slow chairlift.
snow conditions
SkimpyBeardy check yo email Very Happy
latest report
Lockkeeper wrote:
pam w wrote:

Quite agree. We have stayed in Mountainsun in Chalet les Melezes in Oct, Dec and April. You should be able to ski down to the other side of the road to the hotel in January (Les Boisses is at 1850M). Also there is a new gondola open this year replacing the old slow chairlift.

Thank you pamw and lockkeeper, I will see if I can get an extra trip in. The prices seemed to good to be true, so the assumption is that all is not what you hope.
snow report
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for your advice of where to go in Jan 2011 . . . . We took the advice and went to Tignes - got the full area lift pass for Killy and enjoyed every minute of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59265173@N05/5428589120/lightbox/

Like many of you i'm just looking forward to the next season and already starting to do the groundwork.

Could I ask for your great suggestions again please?

I'm already leaning towards: Banff/Whistler or Colorado - A few people have said to try US/Canada for 1 year and see if we like it, while we are still relatively young, don't really have many major commitments and don't have any little ones running around.

Last 3 years have been to:

Les Arcs
3 Valleys
Tignes/ Killy

Who's been?, can it be done on 1.2k?, shall I prioritise one over the other? - any help appreciated as I don't know where to start looking . . .

Kindest regards

Skimpy
ski holidays
You should be able to land a 10 day package to Banff for under a grand with a TO quite easily but be aware lead in pricing using based on 4 people sharing 2 double beds. Lift pass can be quite pricey though. Whistler is never very cheap. Canada is also not as good value as the US due to the relative strength of their dollar.

DIY is worth considering to the US if you can flights into a major ski hub at a reasonable price, car hire is cheap and appartments in ski resorts reasonably affordable (remember to haggle for 10 days as most are priced nightly for 2-3 days expected occupancy). Motels down valley are even cheaper. Worth looking now if you're serious as some places you can grab a season pass for less than the cost of a weeks worth of tickets.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, thanks for the reply fatbob.

There will be 8 of us this time, on average 8 - 10 person chalets about the same price as europe?.
snow report
No such thing as a European chalet holiday though with a group that size you could easily book a house or couple of large appartments. Note you get some size property a lot cheaper if you're prepared to drive or bus to the slopes. Vrbo is a good place to start for ideas purely as an example http://www.vrbo.com/340710
ski holidays
Thanks again fatbob, I will take a look, houses do look good - might push the budget a tad . .
latest report
If you can get to Whistler on your budget then you won't regret it !!!

THE best resort there is in my opinion. Have done 3V, Espace Killy &Paradiski. All fantastic but not even close to Whistler.

Skiworld & Crystal both have chalets there which make your £ go further.
snow conditions
SkimpyBeardy, As you are all single with no kids, it's not even open to debate; you should go to St Anton. Don't worry about all the doom mongers, if you have done 3 weeks + and are fairly confident you'll be fine
snow report
1. Val d'Isere, France;
2. Lech, Austria;
3. Canada is too cold in January. Go in March when it warms up.
snow report
Until you're getting into offpiste you'll get more out of Ischgl than Anton.
ski holidays
If it was just the original 3-4 of us I would, however theres going to be 2 skiers who lack confidence and I don't want to drop them in the deep end & sour their taste for ski forever after . .
snow report
Whistler will be fine in January as it's close to the Pacific so doesn't 'enjoy' the deep winter temperatures of the central areas.
snow conditions
SkimpyBeardy - Banff is fantastic. If you have people in your group who lack confidence, the quality of instruction is brilliant and the variety is huge. It can be very cold in Jan, but then again, not always! Balance that against costs at Whistler being a fair bit higher.

Anyways, I was in Banff for the 3rd time earlier this year, so if you want any more detailed info, let me know.
latest report
Update,

There will now be 7-8 of us, & general consensus is against jumping across the pond to ski as we have 2 beginners and they will not spend over 1.2k & would rather be competent in Europe first.

Bitterly disappointed as I had my heart set on Banff/Colorado etc.

So now back to the drawing board,

will be 7-8 of us so looking to rent a chalet
looking to go for 10 days
Spend 1.2k max
Preferably France

Have already been to Les Arcs, 3 Valleys, Tignes/ Killy

Would you guys just recommend going back to the three valleys?
latest report
Quote:

Would you guys just recommend going back to the three valleys?

If you've only been there once, and want a big area, you won't do much better (and I think it's true to say you'll have hugely more piste distance there than you'll have anywhere in N America).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy