Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Pole Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi looking for your advice on a new set of ski poles which would be suitable for groomed pistes,powder days and off piste currently had in mind the K2 Backside Carbon poles so wold like to know your thoughts on these or any others you may recommend.[/img]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just get ones that match your skis or outfit Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
get those ones where you can put brandy in the handles.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get the biggest baskets you can find.

And make sure they reach the floor.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
others will say different....
but my experience of carbon poles is that are expensive, break lots, and I dont like the way they flex when you plant them.
get a cheap aluminium pole in the right length.
(with big baskets as MM says). if nothing else they can be bent back into shape and cost 1/3rd less.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
buy cheap, buy often

but it's better than buy expensive, buy often which seems to be the alternative IME.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I must admit, buy a semi-decent pair so they last, don't buy Carbon, unless you are like replacing your expensive poles or enjoying watching them being nicked from outside a restaurant.

Carbon splinter easily, I have 2 pairs for touring and on hard piste they will bend a lot more and maybe start to break. Both my pairs are essentially in need of replacing already!

A semi decent pair wont snap too easily like a Scott P3 pole, around £30, and isn't a diaster if they do break. I have 2 pairs of Scott poles, a P3 and the fatter P4 and they are both over 2 years old and despite looking like it they are great, albeit a slight bend in one!

Find the most comfortable grip too as each brand vary and there's nothing worse than an irritating grip to distract you from the enjoyment of skiing!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap, Hmm I have a pair of Goode Carbons, acquired in Whistler in 2001 I think, have done around 600 days, and are as good as ever, minus paint scratches.

BUt that's a sample size of one. Actually, it's not. A mate who skis about as often has a pair a year older while another who skis only slightly less frequently has a pair 3 years older. (I mean, 13 years out of a pair of poles?).

So staggeringly insignificant sample of 3.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

So staggeringly insignificant sample of 3.

Make that 4 Embarassed I might not ski as often as you under a new name, but also have a pair of Goode Carbon, bought around 2000 IIRC and still going strong, with a few scratches to the paintwork. Love the grip on them and the balance. Adjustable too Smile

They were an extravagant really having been busting ally ones for a few years, thought I would give them ago and see how long they last.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Black Diamond Fliklocks with powder baskets end of story.

Or cheapo rental alu jobs
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got some Scott carbon poles (sorry don't know the model) and love them. Yes, they were expensive but very light, big basket and really comfy handle. If you don't want Carbon, an alternative would be the Scott Team Issue. Very highly rated and bomb proof.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've used my Rossi carbon ones for 6 years. Had to stick big baskets on myself though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't ski off piste, so can't advise from that perspective, but although I've only been skiing for a short time I have been through a huge assortment of ski poles (adult and child) and have had hands on many manufacturers poles - K2, Rossignol, Fisan, Scott, Komperdell and several 'unbranded' 'lesser' makes. I've gone through cheap ones - which tend to be thicker, maybe slightly heavier, to better grade metal ones, which tend to be thinner, lighter, and I'm now on some nice fancy ones which seem to be a combination of a metal core surrounded by a resin shaft with carbon shafts in them (K2 5-Karat poles) - which I am perpetualy concerned about walking when I'm in the restaurant and tie down with the skis as much as possible, and hang onto for dear life on the ski lift.

In terms of performance well they all work (at the end of the day a pole is a pole), but out of the metal ones, if you can put up with the slightly more solid feeling of them, the cheap ones seem pretty indestructible (as a beginner, poles get some welly in the early days as you get around on unfamiliar planks) and as mentioned above have a certain bendability about them to ease them back into shape (provided the tube isn't fundamentally folded) - they might also be less likely to walk outside a restaurant.

The finer more expensive ones seem to lack in a feeling of substantiality about them and although they might be as strong build wise (maybe better materials) they just seem to feel more fragile. Of them all the build quality of the K2 5-carots seems the best compromise so far. The central metal pole with the carbon fibre inserts inside the resin - they certainly feel strong enough and are not too thick. (The K2 Karats' also look damn good too if you are into all the gear no idea). How any of the above would perform off piste I don't know, but I'm surprised at the amount of variation in manufacturing materials and wondered if the above personal impressions would be of any use to anyone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ditto (some of) the above.

Go cheap like the birdie; you will snap them... Spend your money on lift tickets and vino. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chelt881, very simple really. If you want all that you'll ideally want to get adjustable ones, but non-adjustable will still be fine, and a big basket as suggested. Make sure they're the correct length and spend what your pockets/conscience will allow. Anything else concerning poles is just guff.
ski holidays
If you tour then don't get adjustable ones as many Guides will not let you use them (in case the ajustment gives way in a remote location) I use alloy poles and have a longer grip added and get a pair of large baskets.
snow conditions
Quote:

(in case the ajustment gives way in a remote location

sounds wise. I have adjustable (cheap) Decathlon walking poles and they're a pain. Took one pair back last week as the adjustment had packed up after a few days.
ski holidays
Swing weight does make a difference -how much is debatable. Like most things -spend how much you can afford and the law of diminishing returns applies (strongly).
latest report
Doesn't matter how unbreakable your poles are when you leave them in a car park or drop one in deep powder.
snow report
Dypcdiver wrote:
If you tour then don't get adjustable ones as many Guides will not let you use them (in case the ajustment gives way in a remote location) I use alloy poles and have a longer grip added and get a pair of large baskets.

Depends on the quality as I know and use guides that have extendable poles, the Dynafit poles (about £135!) are great as they lock into the shaft of the pole and I only use them for touring.

For long tours you need the adjustment for the differing terrain, otherwise it can be uncomfortable.

However, it's a fair point and I can see why some guides wont take the risk. However, most good guides can tell if you have a decent pair or not.

I still think, as above, most people for everyday skiing are best of with a semi-decent £20-£40 that is well made and wont make you cry if they break or get stollen.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy