Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grinding edges - what do you use?

Poster: A snowHead
So the whole family (5 of us) are setting out on second hand and pre-used boards and skis.

I have no problems waxing and tightening etc.

However I don't like the "tools" I have seen for grinding the edges:
a: they're cheapo Chinese , and therefore I reckon my edges will be harder than the file
b: they just rub the grinding dust back into the base.

So, any suggestions.reccomendations or corrections? Anyone who can tell what the "professionals" use?

Thanks,

Iain
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strax, Let http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/ be your friend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strax, no grinding needed. Just files and diamond stones.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
what Mosha Marc, said, don't even need a file I reckon...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strax,See here

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 11-10-10 15:08; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use a FK SKS Pocket Edge beveler (older version than this) to remove the Burr.

Gives me new skis everyweek. I never Wax skis .

http://www.fktools-us.com/ProductDetail.asp?PartNumbNew=3118D

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 11-10-10 15:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
I never Wax skis .

What, never at all?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
stanton wrote:
I never Wax skis .

What, never at all?

No , only fill when damaged.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Those must be some nice dry ski's you have then!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dypcdiver wrote:
Strax,See here

Blimey, that looks a bit serious, do you have any edge left afterwards and do you use a planer to remove the wax!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would not touch my edges with a grinding rool of any type a good quality edge file and a couple of diamond stones with the right base and edge guides is all you want. Ski edges are a lot softer than you may think.

Allready mentioned but you are not too far form nottingham so get yourself to Jon's ski tuning for a few hours of your weekend and let him teach you how to do it properly well well worth the money.

You cant just grind away at the edges withouth knowing the base and side angles or you will destroy the feel and behaviour of your skis and boards. you also need to be able to create the space to tune your edges by planing the sidewall of the ski in most cases. Then if you dont de-burr properly you will end up with skis that are simply unskiable

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,19/category_id,8/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,38/

Once you have done the course you will never want to take your skis to a shop for a tune again.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, It all came about when I had 6 pair of skis that I wanted to change the base and edge angles on, Ater doing just one ski I set about making something that would make it easier. It got a bit out of hand rolling eyes But I can edge a set of skis in less time than it takes to fit the brake retainers.
I hardly ever scrape wax off my skis, it seems easier to let the snow do it. I'll duck out of here before Spyderjon, arrives Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just Pay someone the £10 to do it for you Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ricfrench, Notice he said 5 people that is £50!! Which is why I do all my own maintenance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ricfrench, and watch your edges disappear.
snow report
Strax, as holidayloverxx, said go to Spyderjon's site, you can get a basic kit from him, the spec is on the site, even better drive down south to him and spend a half a day learining as recommended by kevindonkleywood, , along with the odd cupcake and tea/coffee thrown in. Smile You'll soon recover the cost with the amount of ski's you have,
latest report
achilles,second hand boards and skis. Probably got no edges left anyway Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Hi All,
thanks for the help. I maybe confused some by mentioning grinding, I didn't mean to omit filing or other edges. Like so many of you, any kind of grinder is worrying on such long endges.

I had my board professionally serviced last year, and I was massivley impressed with the improvement. However I was working in Finland at the time: they have a surplus of techies who will service your kit within a day, so you can play out every night! Its not quite the same at Ellis Brigham, Leeds

If I could get them all edged for £10 each: I would, so Ric, if you're offering: then at least you can see the kit before you knock it!! (Informed criticism is so much more deadly!)

So I reckon Jons course is a cert.

Thanks again, you're ok you guys, I reckon. See you in Aviemore.

Strax
snow report
Strax, go to the snowBoard section on here to read up on how to service your board - lots of photos too wink
snow report
Strax, You will not regret a trip to Jon's its a worthwhile course and you will come away probably knowing more than most of the tech's at your local store,

but dont turn up in your best clothes Very Happy
latest report
theres also a couple of good guys down south near Poole/Bournemouth

http://www.jibtuning.co.uk/

run by 2 guys both called 'ollie'. god guys and they sell a lot of tuning kit for doing it all yourself. They're also at the london ski/snowboard show running demos of how to tune.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy