Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
So, I've finally had to get on the Half Term Treadmill. By booking something early we've managed to get a few cubic metres for the four of us at what seems an ok price but I am curious about the drive to Tignes.
I've heard a couple of horror stories but just how bad is the traffic likely to be?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clueless, we drove for the first time last year for half term, I started a thread and go some good advice most of which would be relevant to you, it' a good starting point for info here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1429091&highlight=half+term+drive#1429091
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

just how bad is the traffic likely to be?

very. The thread sarah has linked will be highly relevant! getting the timing right can make a big difference.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The traffic will be apocalyptic. Truly unbelievable. Expect near total grid-lock between Albertville and Bourg Saint Maurice. My record for the 45-minute drive from Sainte Foy to Moutiers is 4.5hrs (set at New Year - half-term is worse).

If possible avoid the roads into the valley between 12pm and 7pm and avoid the road out between 8am and 2pm. Even then, it could still be pretty bad.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

My record for the 45-minute drive from Sainte Foy to Moutiers is 4.5hrs

Shocked

When being driven, in a coach, up the winding road to La Rosiere, for the first cheap week in January we passed traffic coming down the way gridlocked for miles and miles. People were out chatting, walking around, smoking. I almost expected to see people squatting down beside primus stoves, brewing up. It was just lovely to see all those people who wouldn't be competing for space on the slopes. They all seemed very cheerful. One English driver, seeing a British coach, asked the driver if the jam went right down to Bourg St Maurice. When the guy replied that it went right back to Albertville he just laughed. probably thought it was a joke.

As far as I'm concerned, if you have to drive into the Tarentaise on a peak changeover day, if you can't up to the resort before about 11 am just leave it till the evening.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The new road through Albertville might help a bit with jams there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drove from Dundee to Tignes last February. Got to Bourg st Maurice the night before we were due in Tignes, booked into the Hotel Petit st Bernard for the night,then drove up to Tignes the next morning. Arrived at the Chalet, rested and showered, at 10-30am. Only took about 40 minutes from Bourg st Maurice to Tignes le Breviers, road wasn't too busy at all. As Pam W and Stevomcd mentioned, if you can be INTO the valley early,happy days.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Backcountryboarder, you did well. There was a thread a year or so ago about the difficulty of booking hotels near to the slopes for those nights - need to book early, but it's the way to go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
all of this is why we will be arriving at Zurich Airport at Half Term and then doing a train transfer.... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

When being driven, in a coach, up the winding road to La Rosiere, for the first cheap week in January we passed traffic coming down the way gridlocked for miles and miles.

Fascinating fact #1 - the road down from La Rosiere has right-of-way over the road down from Val d'isere/Tignes at the junction where they meet (Seez). So if the La Ros road is grid-locked, well....

Fascinating fact #2 - it is possible to cut through from the Tignes/Val road to the La Ros well before this junction

Fascinating fact #3 - it is possible to turn off the La Ros road immediately after this junction and then by-pass Bourg Saint Maurice

I'm saying no more than this! None of it will help with the Bourg-Moutiers road anyway, which is pretty-much (but not entirely) unavoidable.
Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother, me too, done it the last 2 also to Zermatt and Laax, St Anton this time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So, even worse than I thought. Fortunately the plans we had already made, tunnel approx 9pm Friday and then skiing until the end of the day on the final Saturday, means we should miss the worst of it. I did consider spending the morning in Bourg St Mourice to have breakfast and chill out a little as I think we will all be just too shredded to ski on the Saturday. I still expect the traffic to be heavy into Tignes but surely a lot of the traffic will have turned of further down the valley. Does that sound reasonable or am I making a mistake.

Thanks for the comments

Dean
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I did consider spending the morning in Bourg St Mourice to have breakfast and chill out a little as I think we will all be just too shredded to ski on the Saturday.

Hmm. That's not a bad idea. You probably won't have access to your accommodation till around 4 pm? You're planning to drive all night, presumably? You'll be leaving Calais around 11 pm local time so the road up to Tignes will certainly be pretty busy by the time you arrive and the last bit to BSM pretty crowded too - breakfast might have to be a bit further north. When I'm driving overnight I'm desperate for 7 am to arrive, as the caffs aren't generally open properly till then. You could afford to take frequent and decent breaks on the way down overnight, which will make the journey much safer, as there's no point rushing only to spend hours and hours in BSM. Do you have a couple of drivers?

Hope it all goes well. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clueless, after some horrible jams at half term we have taken the tunnel at around 7 - 8.00 am on the Friday , done 10 hours and then a short drive on Sat morning. Also used a map ( not sat nav for obvious reasons ) to find small roads round some pinch points ( but be prepared to drive on relatively uncleared snowy roads ).

And for the return we have left the resort on the Friday at about 17.00 or 18.00 , driven for 3 - 4 hours ( I noticed a lot of the French registered cars in the car park doing this ) , overnight in hotel then the rest on Sat. Some friends leave the same time on the Sat.

John
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We (or as my wife prefers "I") totally messed up last half term Sad

I left Surrey at 5pm - got to tunnel entrance at 7pm - that's where it started to go wrong Sad
Took 90 minutes to get through the first ticket booths at the start of the tunnel.
Car is full of hungry children and wife plus my then 1 year old decided to EXPLODE in her nappy ;-(
Eventually got on a train at 10pm. Arrived at hotel in Calais at midnight.
Left Calais at 7am and got stuck in traffic everywhere: Reims, Troyes, Dijon and the A40 through the tunnels.
Arrived in Les Gets at 8pm.
On the way back we left Les Gets at 9am and got stuck in traffic everywhere: A40 through the tunnels, Dijon, Troyes and Reims.
Drove in the worst conditions I have ever done between Reims and Calais. Heavy snow and "normal" tyres meant even at 30mph the car was slipping and sliding. At this point my wife was saying never again and in future I should just go with my mates.
Eventually got to the tunnel at 11pm and home at 1am. At this point my wife said we should alter our timings next time, so the overall holiday was enjoyable Happy

Next year I'm leaving home at 7pm (having fed the kids and put them in their pyjamas first!!!!) and staying at a hotel just past Troyes on the way down. On the way back I'm leaving the resort at 5am. Also the car will have proper snow tyres and I'm buying flexiplus tickets so I can push to the front of the queue on the tunnel. Oh and I've also taken delivery of my telepeage thingy.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
clueless, we drove for the first time last year for half term, I started a thread and go some good advice most of which would be relevant to you, it' a good starting point for info here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1429091&highlight=half+term+drive#1429091

Sarah, just re-read the old thread and I noticed you started it but never finished it. What was the outcome of the drive or did I miss that bit? Might be worth updating the old thread with your findings on the drive at half term?
latest report
We have to do this as I am a teacher!
However we find getting into resort for about 9am and then getting changed into ski gear in car park works for us before heading off to enjoy an extra day on the slopes, getting into accomodation later that day!
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

When being driven, in a coach, up the winding road to La Rosiere, for the first cheap week in January we passed traffic coming down the way gridlocked for miles and miles.

Fascinating fact #1 - the road down from La Rosiere has right-of-way over the road down from Val d'isere/Tignes at the junction where they meet (Seez). So if the La Ros road is grid-locked, well....

IIRC, and apologies if I'm wrong, but isn't La Ros predominantly a Sunday changeover? I thought that had been planned to try and alleviate some of the congestion bearing in mind the "family" nature of La Ros. As I say, Apologies if that's incorrect.
snow report
Chasseur, could be, can't say I've particularly noticed. Changeover day is down to the individual tour operators/chalets/hotels.
ski holidays
Chasseur, Esprit have a lot of places in La Ros and they do Sundays which may give that Sunday bias but lots do Saturdays there as well.
snow report
As I say it might be memory playing tricks. That said I thought I'd read it years ago from a comment from David @ Trax Vacs about the resort suggesting to operators that they provide easier transfers by opting to try and avoid the really heavy peaks on Saturday. Maybe he'll pop in at some point and clarify.
ski holidays
Reading this thread only convinces me more that flying is the only option.
ski holidays
latest report
It would take another revolution to shift the French from Saturday changeovers! sbirring, that's a cautionary tale. Shocked You were unlucky to have such bad weather north of Reims but it does happen, and all these people who talk about resorts "8 hours drive from Calais" make you laugh, sometimes. I don't do half term but some family and friends are teachers with no choice. Though even for them, easter is almost invariably going to be a better bet.
snow report
Snapzzz, so you are flying all the way to the resort? Wink
ski holidays
alltnaha wrote:
clueless, after some horrible jams at half term we have taken the tunnel at around 7 - 8.00 am on the Friday , done 10 hours and then a short drive on Sat morning. Also used a map ( not sat nav for obvious reasons ) to find small roads round some pinch points ( but be prepared to drive on relatively uncleared snowy roads ).

And for the return we have left the resort on the Friday at about 17.00 or 18.00 , driven for 3 - 4 hours ( I noticed a lot of the French registered cars in the car park doing this ) , overnight in hotel then the rest on Sat. Some friends leave the same time on the Sat.

John

This is spot on and pretty much what we did. Sbirrings timings are Shocked

thefatcontroller We did more or less as advised and it went well, similar to this ^^^^ Will nip over and update the old thread although memory is a bit hazy now Laughing
snow conditions
As much as i would like a helicopter transfer i don't think my wallet will cope.
Of course there is likely to be traffic hampering my transfer but at least it isn't proceeded by 12 hrs driving and screaming kids.... Gotta be the sweeter option.
latest report
Snapzzz wrote:
As much as i would like a helicopter transfer i don't think my wallet will cope.
Of course there is likely to be traffic hampering my transfer but at least it isn't proceeded by 12 hrs driving and screaming kids.... Gotta be the sweeter option.

12 hours and screaming kids, sounds like airport travel to me. You obviously haven't driven much in France. A joy compared to Britain. I look forward to the drive, the thought of flying genuinely horrifies me with 3 kids. The kids quite like the journey to, we stop in a hotel and have a meal. Its a holiday not an endurance race.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Snapzzz wrote:

12 hours and screaming kids, sounds like airport travel to me. You obviously haven't driven much in France. A joy compared to Britain. I look forward to the drive, the thought of flying genuinely horrifies me with 3 kids. The kids quite like the journey to, we stop in a hotel and have a meal. Its a holiday not an endurance race.

+1 Laughing
snow conditions
It's horses for courses. Whether you drive or fly it can be absolutely crap if you plan it wrong. I've driven a couple of times to France, although not to the larger resorts and got very close on Friday, and it's been OK. The last 2 years though I've flown to Zurich and transferred by train to swiss resorts and it's been a dream. Personally I wouldn't drive again for a week, at half term or other times, but I always drive at Easter when I go for longer.
snow report
Snapzzz wrote:

Quite right, those empty French motorways are getting so crowded these days. Everyone should stick to flying Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

at least it isn't proceeded by 12 hrs driving and screaming kids..

The big delays are usually between airports and resorts - train is definitely the best way, but not always an option. so much depends on the weather. Last christmas and New Year, with snow at both the English and French ends, most methods of travel were pretty grim; many people never made it or missed days of their holidays. There's no painless way from the UK to the Alps, especially if you live far from the ports. If possible, avoid school holidays and Saturday transfers and if you can't, plan carefully but be prepared for the buggeration of the best laid plans. We met people here last year who'd had to wake up a hotel (8 miles short of their destination) at midnight when they could drive no further in heavy snow after one of the rather cheap and nasty chains with their hire car (which they'd probably not put on right in the first place) broke. The whole family was a bit traumatized by the experience though they subsequently had a great week despite ongoing poor weather and some difficult snow conditions and vis. The kids were beginners and the parents not much further on but they were all pretty feisty and didn't give up easily. Family ski hols are not for wimps. wink
snow report
Quote:

the rather cheap and nasty chains with their hire car (which they'd probably not put on right in the first place) broke.

and before anyone gets on their favourite hobby horse, it was a Swiss hire car with snow tyres as well but it was one of the worst nights of the year, weather wise.
ski holidays
Quote:

Family ski hols are not for wimps

hear, hear!
ski holidays
If driving would it be any better if 'you' were able book accommodation with Sunday change over so doing the 1st 1/2 of France on Sat then into resort on Sunday?
Then of course, leaving for home on Sunday.
snow report
Suggestion - arrive during the night, say 3-4am when no queues on the roads and sleep in the car until daylight and get first lift up the slopes...........................or go somewhere else is my take on this. I think that whilst Espace Killy is a great area its a bit like doing your Xmas shopping at Bluewater the saturday before Xmas, why would you do it? There's enough other great undiscovered places out there.
latest report
Quote:

would it be any better if 'you' were able book accommodation with Sunday change

Yes.
Quote:

arrive during the night, say 3-4am when no queues on the roads

doesn't sound like fun. You don't have to arrive quite that early.
Quote:

There's enough other great undiscovered places out there.

I can only speak for France but any resort still "undiscovered" in the peak French holiday period of the year would have gone bankrupt long since. There are many resorts where Brits are just a tiny minority - it's a bit like Columbus "discovering" America. wink But yes, there are advantages to avoiding the biggest Brit-infested resorts during the British half term.
snow report
Markymark29,
Unfortunately I,m one of those people who can fall asleep anywhere; a night drive would probably end in disaster for me.
The reports of the Fri/Sat jams sound pretty bad so was wondering if a Sat/Sun option would improve matters ; which pam w, suggests will.
pam w,
Would the Sat/Sun option be generally much better in your experience ( or only marginally so)?
Thanks
Mitch
ski holidays
Mitchell, well my experience is a bit atypical in that our whole area is almost exclusively French, which means it's almost exclusively Sat/Sat. It makes a big difference here; there are local day-skiers on a Sunday but the roads are generally a lot easier. Some of the UK Tour Operators use Sunday changeovers - I've been into Geneva airport on Sundays sometimes, against my better judgement, and that's pretty busy. I would certainly choose Sunday over Saturday in any French resort, if I had the choice. Apart from having an easier journey it means you miss skiing on the first Sunday, which is a very busy day on the slopes, and get the last Saturday instead, which will be much quieter. Could sometimes mean complications with the timing of group ski lessons though. school.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy